Flying after surgery

Mollymax

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I am scheduled for left knee replacement on 27th June. I am booked to fly to Gran Canaria on 18th Sept which is 1 day less than 12 weeks after the op. Its a 4.45hr flight. Some people are telling me its too soon and scaring me about DVTs. What is people's advice. Has anyone flown on holiday after 12 weeks and were you OK? Rather worried now

@Mollymax welcome to Bonesmart!

You'll note that I've moved your thread to the Pre-op forum. You had posted in the Recovery forum, which is meant for people who have had knee replacement to discuss their recovery. As you are still preparing for surgery, the Pre-op forum is a better fit for your thread.

People will be stopping by with their own experiences, but it is certainly possible to travel by air at 12 weeks after TKR surgery.

Here is our article on Flying Soon After TKR Surgery.

Just a few basic hints to get started: Get an aisle seat if at all possible. Walk at intervals throughout the flight to keep your knee from getting too stiff. Also bring some large zip lock bags in your carryon; the flight attendant will be happy to give you some ice you can use to ice your knee on the flight. :)

Many people recommend wearing compression stockings on flights as a DVT precaution.

@Mollymax,

I had PKR on April 16 (almost 8 weeks ago). I’m flying to San Diego next Monday (8 week anniversary) and am not expecting any issues. I had the same concern as you and discussed this with my OS. He felt that as long as I made plans to get up and walk a bit during the flight and tried to minimize excessive walking in the terminals I’d be okay. He did caution that I should expect stiffness and possibly some swelling, but overall he wasn’t too concerned. My flight time is about the same as what you’ve indicated. Since you will already be at the 12 week mark, I think you’ll be fine.

NG

Allow extra time for going through security. Tell security staff you have a knee replacement.
Go for the scanner, if your airport has one.
Expect to be wanded and patted down.

I agree, I actually just flew from Seattle to Salt Lake City (not a long flight) for my revision. I did book first class coming back (I stayed 9 days after surgery) and I was fine. My OS said no problem, I constantly moved my leg and did ankle rolls. Also he had me on Aspirin.

I did get wheelchair assistance both ways, which was awesome. It was especially good not waiting through the long line in Seattle. Coming back, I of course still had my bandage on, and they did take me aside with a female for a full check :heehee:. I told them they better have a curtain because if I had to take my jeans off I wasn't wearing underwear!:rofsign:I had capris on, but it barely lifted over the bandage. They had to use gloves and some kind of powder to check the area....I was really glad I had a really good cover from surgery still in place.

I mentioned travel to my surgeon as I frequently travel to Florida from the UK which is a 10 hour flight. He recommended waiting 6-8 weeks.

He thought the flight itself wasn't going to be an issue if, as others had mentioned, I got an aisle seat for space and made sure I moved frequently. I do like the idea of bags and getting ice.

He also recommended that I pick my battles. Use wheel chair assistance where I can (especially to avoid standing in long queues and being jostled by people in a hurry), make sure I am in plenty of time for everything and book a lounge at the airport so I have somewhere comfortable to sit and rest.

Thank you everyone. I noted some of you spoke with your OS. I caked her to discuss and she said she would be OK for me to fly. I will be in blood thinning medication for 35 days after the operation so she says that will help. I am traveling with my daughter and 5 year old grandson so I think I will have enough space at my seat. I have booked 3 seats for us but notice they are on the wrong side of the plane for the knee that is getting operated on so I will change seats. I like the idea of airport assistance due to stairs down from the gate to the aircraft so will ask about that. Thanks again.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom