TKR Flutter1’s BoneSmart Success

Flutter, you have really embraced the BoneSmart philosophy and look at the grand results! :yay::wow:

Flutter, glad that the meds are helping with your pain. I set alarms on my phone to be sure I never missed a dose, as I didn’t want to chase the pain, but to keep ahead of it. Over time I started to spread the amount of time between doses, and then started cutting pills in half. Now at almost 6 weeks, I am taking Tylenol and only 1/2 Tramadol each day. 2 Tylenol PM and a melatonin at night.

@Celle I had a bad PT experience with my partial 5 years ago, so I fully understand that approach. My therapist came highly recommended from a friend as kind and gentle. If I could not have had her, I would have opted out of early PT. But she has been helpful in showing me how to use the cane correctly, improving my gait, getting up and down from sitting, just making my daily activities easier. We do some stretching and she lets me stay in control. She helped me set up a safe shower, too. She massages my leg as well.

Hello! Still swollen, despite icing, elevating, and only gentle stretching. But I am seeing small improvements in normal daily functioning. When I sit down, I can keep my foot on the floor instead of sticking it straight out. My leg lifts a little bit higher to clear the edge of the shower stall each day. I think I am walking well, but my bend is not great. I know it will come in time. Tomorrow I will ask my PT to focus on the swelling. My two-week follow up ortho appointment is the day after tomorrow. Hope to get the staples out.

Still swollen, despite icing, elevating, and only gentle stretching.
Swelling goes down slowly - for some people it takes months to disappear.
It's still very early days in this year-long recovery. Just aim for slow and steady progress and you'll do well.
Tomorrow I will ask my PT to focus on the swelling.
That's a good idea. There's little point in working on Range of Motion (ROM), which won't improve much until a bit more swelling has gone.

Celle is right. My Sister had both knees replaced (8 months apart) and she had swelling with both of them for about a year! They are fine now. And her swelling went clear down into her foot! Mine didn’t do that and we had the same OS. Goes to show you - you can’t compare knees.

Last edited:
Hi! (I don’t mean to bore the pants off anyone with my posts— but this is a great way to track my knee journey.)
Tomorrow will mark 2 weeks since my TKR. I am doing a little bit more every day. Each improvement is a victory. Today my PT showed me a trick to encourage an even walking gait. If you have wood flooring, make sure each foot lands an equal distance from a middle plank. I found that using the wooden floor planks as a guide kept my surgical leg from landing farther out than my unaffected leg. It made me walk in a nice, straight line. We took a lovely 10-minute (slow) walk in the beautiful weather today. I can walk without the cane, but my “form” is not as good. So I still use the cane.
i put together my own dinner tonight — each day I do a few more things for myself. Perhaps I am being over cautious, but my husband is here to help. Believe me, I am grateful for an attentive husband.
I still take Tramadol and Tylenol twice a day, and will continue to do so until just Tylenol will do the trick. Tomorrow is my 2-week checkup. I believe they will remove the staples.
Today a huge cicada hitch hiked its way inside on the back of my husband’s shirt. They are everywhere and it sounds like a spaceship is landing in our backyard day and night.
Wishing everyone healing.:wave:

Last edited:
Oh, GROSS on the cicada!
i am right there being cautious with you and I am much further along. I’m just not going to take any chances with a knee that has to hold me up for the rest of my life!
Good luck with the post-op visit. Let us know how you do.

I just returned from my two-week check up. Saw the PA. Surprise! My stitches were internal this time. The positive (observations from the PA)
  1. My incision looked great
  2. I am walking better than expected
  3. My extension is very good

The bad, which I knew was coming...
My PT sent a note saying my bend was at 81 degrees -- up goes the red flag. Although when the PA actually (gently) bent my knee, she said it is probably greater than 81.
So she wants me to start outpatient PT right away because "they can do more there." I just smiled and said OK. And she wants me to come back again in two weeks to see if my flexion is at 90 degrees.

I have no intention of starting outpatient PT right now while my knee is still more swollen that I would like it to be . My in-home PT can continue to visit for at least 4 more sessions. I have a recumbent bike at home, which I will use if it doesn't hurt. My 5-year-old partial eventually made it to 120.

I’d focus in on the positive news, and then do what you already know you have to :yes!: .

Thank you @Sisterpat for your support. Sometimes it is so hard to hold the line and do what is right for your own body. Even the x-ray tech said something about my needing to work harder on my flex. Before the surgery, I spent more than an hour a day on strength training and cardio — I am not lazy!

Certainly not a matter of laziness! They are just not familiar with the BoneSmart philosophy! Most of them have grown up with the “no pain no gain” nonsense. Many, MANY members here have gained ROM well beyond a year. You will be fine - believe it :loll:

Thank you @Sisterpat for your support. Sometimes it is so hard to hold the line and do what is right for your own body. Even the x-ray tech said something about my needing to work harder on my flex. Before the surgery, I spent more than an hour a day on strength training and cardio — I am not lazy!
Keep doing what you are doing and give it time - sounds like you are in total control and that’s good - just miss a few outpatient appointment ms to give the swelling time to go down

Hi friends! A few days into week 3. I want to share a BoneSmart success. My in-home PT and I agreed to go slow and allow for 3 days between my sessions so I can baby my knee. Well, with just a few days rest and simple stretching and functional exercises, my extension went from 4 to 1 and my flex (bending) went from 81 to 96. My swelling has gone down by 3 cm. The best news is that I have only a slight aching feeling at night and I can walk about 15 minutes around the house now. I am so glad I found this forum. It has made such a difference this time around.

Awesome! You are doing very well.

Congratulations! BoneSmart works!

Hi BoneSmarties! Day 17 post op. Today I made 6 rotations on my stationary bike on my terms. It was not comfortable, but not painful. And my knee actually felt more flexible afterwards. I am doing my daily activities without the cane, but still use it for stairs and walks. It is impossible to walk outside now without being dive-bombed by hordes of cicadas, so I walk around the house for less than 10 minutes 3X a day. I have made a big decision not to go to outpatient PT after my last week (next week) of in-home PT. I believe I have everything I need at home to become stronger and more active. I continue to follow a schedule of Tramadol and Tylenol, except I no longer need an early morning dose. Surprisingly, my surgeon offered a refill of Tramadol without any hesitation. He wants me to continue walking every day. Thank you advisors for everything!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom