TKR Stairs

Flpickleballer

Country
United States United States
Surgery was uneventful (knew one of the operating nurses which helped the my anxiety)’. Just did my first complete revolution on the bike yesterday. Rode 15 miles day before surgery. My new world

:welome: to recovery, @Flpickleballer .

I'm glad things ar going well.

Here's your post-op reading:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. You should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Wow that was fast (I only completed my first full cycling pedal series revolutions yesterday), but you cycled heavily pre-surgery. Wishing you continued success! Keep us posted.

Four weeks post TKR tomorrow. Manageable pain. Seem to be on schedule. Doctor and PT disagree on OTC pain medication. Doctor says Aleve—Ibuprofen to control inflammation . PT says Tylenol ( inflammation is good)’. REALLY.... If you research a lot you will find completely contradictory information on most everything. Rest ... Ice... elevation...Gentle and Forceful (not painful) stretching.....Good luck too all..... When can I play Pickle Ball again?...

@Flpickleballer,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

When can I play Pickle Ball again?...
This is like asking how long is a string?
Everyone heals at a differently, every knee heals at its own pace. You will be able to play Pickleball when your knee is ready. There is no time line. It could be at 3 to 6 months, or a year or more.

Both your MD and PT are right, you want to have inflammation, it is what brings all the healing factors to the wound site, but too much inflammation can lead to excessive swelling and pain.
Your MD wants to have controlled inflammation, ask your MD about taking both, Tylenol and Aleve together usually does not cause a problem in the short term.

I was a serious cyclist before TKR. Daily ride 15-20 miles. What joy it was to complete one revolution on the bike at PT (after some effort). Now riding three easy sessions of 10 minutes each..... One day at a time......

If your doctor agrees with the ibuprofen/acetaminophen regimen, I thought it might be nice to know it worked well for me.

Update.... 9 weeks post TKR...... Recumbent bike 30 minutes per day.... walking 1.5 miles. Gentle exercises and stretching. Pain mostly gone (knock on wood). This process is SLOW. Icing several times a day seems to help alleviate pain. My goal initially was Pickleball in three months...... I have adjusted that to 6 months. My road bike is lonely.... looking forward to being brave enough to ride again. Best of luck too all.......

@Flpickleballer
Greetings fellow pickler.....
I had a TKR in June 2019. I also had a three month goal. While I made the 3 month goal, (OS said it was “my call”) it was tentative and game limited for the first month. My issue was the lateral movement and the lack of a trust factor in the knee. “See ball, get ball...” was just not as fluid as I had hoped at 3 months.
I developed a few bad habits (bending at the waist instead of using my knees primarily) but I did something smart.....I taught my PT to play. He took me back to the clinic and we worked on the lateral movement and body awareness.
All is well now. I am looking forward to playing again as soon as COVID is not an issue. Good luck and stay out of the kitchen.....

Good advise...... I have a tendency to “sneak” into the kitchen. I discovered the game about 3 months before surgery and quickly became addicted. Good advise on the lateral movement. Most of my PT has been walking and stationary biking. I suspect I need to start working on strength. I am thinking I will give it a couple more months.....Scared to death I may hurt the knee (especially in this new world we all are now living in). I will certainly be a “rookie” again. Keep me updated on your return.....

Seeking reinforcement and advise: 12 weeks post RTKR. Walking unassisted 2 miles a day and riding stationary bike 20 minutes. Daily “ easy” stretching exercises..... heel slides...leg lifts...ankle pumps... quad sets. Swelling and pain manageable with ice and elevation. Good flex and extension. Should I start strengthening exercises...?. wall squats...step ups... step downs... etc? Thanks for your input.......

@Flpickleballer
Are you still in PT? I asked my PT to design a program for “after TKR knee play pickleball like a madwoman” readiness.
I was in PT 6 months which the OS expected. My chain was broken....knee is fine, but I had compensated for it with my back....now strengthen back...back is better...now work on more core....etc. My right one also needs replaced.

I had the PT assess my weak points. Strength in various areas and trusting in the knee were the two items that were on the program. Many of the exercises that you were mentioning above were on the list for me to do. I still do some of them now due to no gym and COVID.

Nothing is better than having a trained professional tell you how/what you need. A PT is the arbiter of movement, the bringer of optimism and the kicker of backside when lazy is found. In one visit to the clinic my PT had a pole vaulter, a TaeKwando black belt, a track and field person (javelin), a racquetball player, a runner and me, all with different issues.

PS. Set up a rebound board in the garage to work on dinks......

No more PT for me. I did not have a good experience. Perhaps my small town just does not have any qualified therapists...... Good tip about the dinking......I suspect trusting the knee will be a challenge..... I am still hesitant to get on my road bike.

Sounds like you're doing well and can resume normal activities as the knee tolerates. I don't know that you need specific strengthening exercises.

The more you use your knee it will naturally strengthen without any particular exercises. Daily use is the natural way to do it without adding extra pain and swelling.

have you thought about or do you have a bike trainer to convert your road bike to stationary. that way you can get on your bike and take it as slow as you want. I have a road bike also. I am trying to get a trainer for mine. my left tkr is recovering nicely; but my right knee still hurts from OA. waiting to get that one done. maybe when I get a trainer; I can push through the arthritis with medicine enough to slowly ride a little in my house. you're doing great with your recovery. keep it up

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom