Reverse Shoulder Replacement FLforumuser's Recovery Thread

FLforumuser

Country
United States United States
Quick status - back at house. No appetite. Sat up for awhile while cooling machine ran. Bathroom, out of the compression stockings for the night. Pillows tucked around her to stabilize position in bed - restless, so we moved her to the recliner. Running cooling machine for another 30 minutes. Got the 5 mg percocets, but only using tylenol right now - will see if she can sleep a bit.
Good morning! Glad to be home! Using the ice machine. Slept fitfully because of the noise from the wound site suction device. Grateful for On-Q pump— had it set on 6 last night. Turned it down to 4 And had Tylenol , so will see how that goes. I am having a little coffee (yea!) and I’m definitely more awake and functioning. My fingers are still numb . I can move a little.

Very grateful for this forum!

Welcome home after your surgery, @FLforumuser .
I've changed your signature and your thread title, to indicate that you had a reverse shoulder replacement.
How are you getting on/ I found wearing that sling was my most difficult challenge, but it did a good job

From my reading about reverse replacement, there is a weight limitation on the amount you can lift (limit on grandchildren and/ or gardening??).
I was told "Nothing heavier than a cup of coffee for 3 months and after that nothing heavier than 5 KG". (5 Kg is about 11 pounds.)
But my PT told me they may allow heavier weigh lifting later, as long as the muscles have proved to be strong enough.

@FLforumuser and @ForumUser - I've moved a couple of posts from your pre-op thread and started a recovery thread for you.
please continue to post about your progress in this thread from now on. Thank you.

Hello! Started feeling more pain yesterday early evening, but that was expected as it was 24 hours after my surgery.We found that the plastic tube coming out of the ON-Q pump may have been constricted when we closed the plastic lid that snaps over the control. I upped the ON-Q pump to 8 (out of 2-14 settings) plus Tylenol. it seemed to take awhile to kick in but finally did. I gave up on the recliner and slept on my back-something I never do!-with pillows under the shoulder on the bed. I finally slept from 1 am to 6:30! Yea!
I did take a Tylenol PM which may have helped also. I have not exceeded 3,000 mg of Tylenol.
My fingers in my left hand (in the sling) are no longer numb, and swelling is down. I will continue to do the stretching exercises shown in my packet that I brought home from the surgery for my hand.

The sling seems to shift around and my husband (earning his SAINT GEORGE title; so lucky to have him with me!) has to readjust it a few times during the day.

All in all, managing with my husband’s shirts and a few pair of knit shorts that I have!

@FLforumuser Sounds like you are settling in well. Let's see if @Celle has any tips about keeping that sling in place.

Does your sling have the band that goes around the waist? I found that having that somewhat snug helped keep the sling in the proper spot (and was something I could gently pull with the good arm to reposition).

The sling seems to shift around and my husband (earning his SAINT GEORGE title; so lucky to have him with me!) has to readjust it a few times during the day.
I agree with SaraK. You do need to keep that strap around your body very firm. If my sling shifted, I found after a few days that I could re-position it by pulling on the body strap.

I also found that the strap around my neck tended to loosen itself and it needed to be tightened up a couple of times every day.

I hated that sling, but it did a good job of protecting my new shoulder.

I hated the sling the first couple of weeks - to the point of counting down the days til I could get rid of it. But I grew to appreciate it and realized how much of the stress it was taking off the joint and muscles and how much the right position would ease the pain.

No, mine doesn’t have the waist band-don’t know if we can get one and attach. We will check on that. It does come loose on the top a couple of times during the day.

Pain at night has been more of an issue, and I went up to an “8” setting ( out of 14), but have had a few longer periods of sleep (4 hours ), so that helps. The nerve block comes out today so we’ll see how things go! Ice machine helps too.

i am planning on taking it easy, but walking around the house more. I’m assuming that regularity take time?

You might be able to improvise using a wide elastic band that you attach with Velcro to fingertip and elbow area of current sling. Do you have a regular sling or one that has a 4 inch wide bolster or pillow attached. Keeping pain at bay at night is probably dependent on finding comfortable position. A band would help you keep it in the right position during the night.

Regularity will take time - common issue with painkillers.

It’s the 5th day after surgery and I’m feeling much better! We removed the ON-Q pump Thursday and I had more pain that night than any time before. I finally took a Percocet which helped me get through a good portion of the night.

The pain was manageable Friday with Tylenol. My appetite increased a little also.

Today (Saturday) has been great-I had a shower ( using a hand held device) and we washed my hair! Definitely helpful to have another person with you ( for so many reasons).

That shower probably felt wonderful- it's amazing how much more human you feel just with that one action.

You're lucky to have someone to help you. I had to cut my hair before surgery so that it wouldn't tangle as much and would be easier to wash. I even had to color my hair all by myself at 6 weeks (I wasn't going to PT they way it was!)

I'm glad the pain has eased. Getting off the ON-Q probably helped with the appetite. I didn't have that but with pain meds, I didn't feel like eating. It took about a week for the appetite to come back.

Enjoy the day!

DN Hubbie here.

Patient doing very well!

Pain has become very manageable with about 1500 mg of Tylenol a day.

Continuing to ice with machine 4-5 times per day.

Shoulder ”hanging” and assisted exercise movements three times per day ... no major discomfort. Walkabouts continue with about half mile yesterday.

Slight rash near transparent tape under front edge of arm, but Gold Bond powder relieved discomfort.

Sleeping well, but usually need Tylenol between 10 pm and midnight, then OK till mid morning.

Today is Day 7 so the PICO bandage device controller should stop - and, we’ll change bandage - confirming with med staff prior. Instruction do not call for cleaning the incision site, simply replacing the bandage (without the suction device).

Sounds fantastic for 1 week out! I'm glad you're confirming with med staff about cleaning. You might also mention the rash - it could just be a mild allergic reaction to the adhesive but doesn't hurt to check.

Staff at surgeon office confirmed the instructions were confused - one set said to remove the bandage and replace when the PICO device stopped. The other set of instructions said to simply cut the connector to the PICO.

Confirmed correct instruction from surgeon is to wait for device to shut down, then cut the tab, then wait three more days until first post op office visit, when they will remove the operative bandage and replace for the next phase of recovery. Unless the bandage was leaking this is the correct procedure.

The PICO device shut down at operation plus seven days and three hours - cut the connector with a pair of scissors. A bit quieter, now.

Bandage still sealed well to skin with no seepage or leakage.

Got a wonderful night of sleep! Only woke up once for bathroom break, then back to sleep-total of about 7 hours! It was nice to NOT hear the PICO device beeping.

Still have no redness around the surgical site, and rash under my arm is still not an issue thanks to gold bond powder.

I also had Epsom Salts in water this morning. While it tastes yucky, I was finally able to have a BM ( not something I’m accustomed to thinking about NOR discussing !). Information is always helpful.

so far have only had (1) 500 mg Tylenol today! My shoulder is a little sore from showering and hair washing but icing helps. It’s worth it to feel clean! Will monitor the pain to stay ahead of it.

It sounds as if you're doing very well.
Congratulations on such a good night's sleep.

I'm not sure which is better - that first shower or that first good night of sleep. Both are so restorative! I never had one of those wound vacs but had the pneumatic pump ankle cuffs after both THR. I was so glad to get rid of those! I just started using a CPAP but luckily it's fairly low noise or I would have chucked it by now.

Just using a small amount of Tylenol each day is also wonderful. To be getting along with a low pain level makes everything so much easier. Just don't let it lull you into doing too much!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom