BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Flexiseq - does it work

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Fairydell, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Fairydell

Fairydell graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Has anyone tried Flexiseq? My friend who is a former nurse called around yesterday and told me about it. I have had a look online and it is quite expensive (currently on offer in Tesco for £12.50 or thereabouts). I will gladly try anything if it takes the pain away but don't want to waste money on things that don't work.

2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I've never heard of, or used what you've referenced.
    I believe the forum Nurse, Josephine, recently stated within a thread (last week or so) that those topical agents aren't effective. From personal use, in regard to the icy / hot types, it feels as though the sensation serves as no more than a distraction from the pain. Just My Opinion. I'm sure you'll get others and I will look for Jo's comments to back up my response...Enjoy the weekend!
    @Fairydell

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Don't fall for it! Brian Mosely ("Trust Me I'm a Doctor" BBC2) did a study earlier this year testing out these topical applications. He and his fellow doctors proved beyond doubt that they don't and can't penetrate the skin to more than a depth of about 3-4mm and it would therefore be impossible for the product to reach as far as the joint! They went into it in some depth (pardon the pun!) but it was very believable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fairydell

Fairydell graduate

I have done so much research into this cream and have been in so much pain that I was wiling to try anything.

My friend (a former nurse) swears by it but I didn't know for sure whether it really could do what is claimed of it. My understanding is that it isn't like the normal hot/cold type creams. My friend gave me some to try on Friday then I bought some on Sunday and used it twice.

On Monday I felt a lot less stiff. I used it yesterday and actually was able to walk without the excruciating pain. Today I am almost pain free... almost..... I am aware that this may simply be a placebo effect or it may be that the glucosamein and the turmeric/black pepper tablets are giving me some relief.

It wasn't cheap at £18.99 from Superdrug. Tesco have it on offer at £12.50 but as fast as it arrives in store it flies out. I bit the bullet and simply paid £18.99 at Superdrug. I will let you know whether I continue to feel more comfortable.

I read all the reviews on Amazon and then searched the web for reviews and information about it. Mostly good but some for whom it did absolutely nothing. I was willing to give it a try and at the moment feel so much more comfortable.

5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

@Fairydell please stick with one thread for this topic. It's very confusing when you keep starting new ones.

6. Fairydell

Fairydell graduate

OOps. Sorry. I assumed an update on a topic would require a new thread

7. Ldm380

Ldm380 member

@Fairydell I may give this a try, I’m willing to try anything at this moment in time.

8. Fairydell

Fairydell graduate

That's what I thought. Please do read all the reviews on Amazon. They aren't all good but it was a chance that I was prepared to take. It might just be having a placebo effect on me but I am able to put my leg down flat in bed now. I wasn't able to before and had to sleep with it on a pillow. Although I am not as stiff as I was the pain hasn't completely gone and in fairness I am assuming that a hip replacement will be the only proper cure but this seems to be working for me. The Flexiseq that I bought says MAX STRENGTH on the box.... I didn't want to waste my money on one of the weaker ones. If you buy some, don't use too much in one go. I think I was a bit generous in my application and it's too expensive to waste.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  9. Bionic

Bionic graduate

@Fairydell
    I'm not convinced by this, although it's tempting to try, but if it really works or it's the placebo effect who cares.
    So long as something is working for you it has to be good news.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Just a money sink. If this works then why didn't every one of us who have been through pre-op joint pain use it? Placebos will not take away the need to replace a bad joint I am afraid.

11. Fairydell

Fairydell graduate

I'm not so sure it is a money sink. Perhaps people might have gotten some relief if they had heard of it. I certainly had never heard of it before last week.... But then, I hadn't even given any thought to arthritis until I was diagnosed with it All I can say is that I don't feel as stiff and the pain isn't as bad since I started using it.

12. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hey, placebo or no...if it works for you.
    I would've done anything to relieve my hip pain.
    Unfortunately, I Never found an oral, topical, holistic, herbal, homeopathic, or anything in between that could touch my OA hip pain.
    Lucky you.
    Don't feel bad about feeling better!

13. Fairydell

Fairydell graduate

Thanks Mojo. I have an appointment with my doctor next week and hopefully will have some sort of treatment plan started. I kind of think it will be an appointment for a cortisone injection to start with. I am told that they are very painful so am absolutely dreading it. Thankfully the doctor was a very kind and compassionate man and I have absolute faith in him. It was five years since I last had reason to visit the surgery and foolishly had put off going until the pain was unbearable. I thought I had a groin injury so was stunned when I was told it is arthritis. That had never even crossed my mind.

14. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I thought I had sciatica die to a lower back problem from many years of work with food bank.
    Diagnosis end stage OA in both hips.
    I was shocked !
    Hopefully the injections will give you relief..and for the time you want.

15. Bionic

Bionic graduate

Interesting, there is a programme on TV this evening (UK) about research into placebo pills and back pain. They had 3 groups, all were told that some would be taking a placebo. In fact 2 groups took placebo and 1 group took nothing, just had a talk with the DR. There was quite a range of differences afterwards with a fair few saying that their pain had reduced (none knew at this stage they were all on placebo). The most changed was an elderly man who had been wheelchair bound for 10 years. He managed to get onto a boat on his own two legs, with help. I will watch the full programme later

16. Fairydell

Fairydell graduate

I am interested in watching that too. I must say that I assumed the cream wouldn't work and will ask the doctor not to tell me that it couldn't possibly be the cream. My pain and stiffness are so much less since I started using it. There is an old post regarding Flexiseq here on the forum somewhere. I searched at the top of the page... The other person found that it worked too.

17. Bionic

Bionic graduate

As its on special at Tesco at the moment I have ordered some to come in my delivery tomorrow. I will let you know my verdict in a few days time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fairydell

Fairydell graduate

I saw it in Tesco too while I was shopping yesterday and bought another tube. Can I respectfully suggest that you don't put too much on and don't rub it in... I am using about the size of a large pea now. Just smear it on the skin and let it dry for ten minutes. I hope it gives you the relief that it has given me

19. miscverb

miscverb junior member

Have not tried that, but infrared heat does help me ALOT.

20. Bionic

Bionic graduate

@Fairydell
    I have a Dr's appointment this afternoon to see if there is anything he can do to help me with the pain in my knee. (My hip replacement 13th July is fine).
    If I get some meds to help I won't take my Flexiseq yet. I don't want to muddy the waters. Will see how it goes.
    Did you see the placebo programme last night. Very interesting. For those where it worked, they continued taking the placebo even though they knew what it was and 70% of those were still doing well. It must be a case of mind over matter. Brain scans showed there was an increase in adrenalin which blocks pain.

• Agree Agree x 1