Hip Arthroscopy Flare up

You probably meant to direct this to the other triple 3.... @linette333 who is in the uk...I just tagged her, maybe she can clarify

I found some information about palletelle plasma injections.
These injections are not viable for all hip issues and the small percentage of people that see results have little or no symptoms. In any case, they would not address impingement or labrum tear.

I am now scared that it might make things worse.
I doubt very seriously that the injection will make things worse. Indeed, it could relieve the inflammation. Will you have it soon? Over activity can bring on inflammation. And many people have a good result.
Hi @Jaycey, thank you so much for your advice and help. I am wondering if you could help me or know anyone at the forum who can, my overall pain is a bit better, which is great! So I hope anti inflammatories finally started to work, but now I have some radiating pain from the joint to my knee, and it is new, never experienced it before, it is actually every time when I step on the leg or move it in bed, it is quite sharp, could it be part of inflamation still or could it be something else?

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance

Hi @Mojo333 .

Thank you for your support and kind wishes. Plasma injections are not done on NHS, you probably mean steroid injections?
I had a PRP Injection on the NHS here in the UK! I expect it depends on the individual surgeon and also location. On the day I had my injection, there were 6 of us! This injection is only recommended for certain conditions, I think, but I doubt that it would make anything worse.

Hi @Mojo333 .

Thank you for your support and kind wishes. Plasma injections are not done on NHS, you probably mean steroid injections?
I had a PRP Injection on the NHS here in the UK! I expect it depends on the individual surgeon and also location. On the day I had my injection, there were 6 of us! This injection is only recommended for certain conditions, I think, but I doubt that it would make anything worse.
@Natka

@Natka Have you started any new activities lately that might cause this new pain? Increased walking, lifted anything heavy?

@Natka Have you started any new activities lately that might cause this new pain? Increased walking, lifted anything heavy?
Morning @Jaycey thank you for the prompt response.

No nothing new. I have been just lying and doing basic walk only for necessarily needs on crutches. Icing a lot, no PT for over a week. Any advice would be great!

Morning @linette333 thank you for your help. I was offered steroid injection, but was also looking into PPT as an alternative, asked my surgeon, he wasn't too impressed and said there is no real evidence that they work. But it is good to know that you can have them on NHS, though in a current situation, it is unlikely to be referred. Thank you!

If you haven't started anything new I would say this is just normal post op pain. Unfortunately this recovery does not happen in a straight line. Plenty of ups and downs as you are experiencing. Keep icing and elevating. Take your meds on schedule until you get this flare controlled. Hang in there!

I understand exactly how you feel. I had a scope of my right hip October 3rd 2019. I was non weight bearing for 4 weeks and had very little pain. Week 5 I started putting weight on the leg and the pain started. Each month I got worse. I can't walk without a cane and even with it i have a great deal of pain. I'm now scheduled for a hip replacement june 4th. I sure hope I have better luck with the replacement.

Hi @Natka . You expressed concern about the other hip starting to flare up now too. That is not unusual. When one of our joints start to wear or are damaged, our bodies do a lot to compensate and try to level us out. I had actually scheduled my surgery for my right hip replacement for February '03. Around Christmas '02, my left hip, which had earlier shown little sign of damage, suddenly started acting up badly and the pain and deterioration was mimicking what I had experienced on the right, over a long period of time. When I went in, the X-rays showed substantial change which my OS attributed to the years of compensating for the right hip and it catching up to me. :yikes: We decided then to replace them both at the same time.

Obviously with your arthroscopic procedure, you are in a different situation. I wish you well as you make these decisions on how best to proceed. You'll find great support here on BoneSmart.

Hi @NightQuilter thank you so much for your response. it is quite an upsetting thing as it feels like the pain is never ending! Unfortunately, they don't tend to perform bilateral procedures here in the UK. so I am praying my right one will settle down and I can deal with the left one soon. Take care and stay well!

There are many surgeons on this side of the pond who also will not consider doing bilaterals. :headbang:.

One thought that might help... when our body starts to make adjustments to compensate for the pain/deterioration/injury in a joint, that puts added stress everywhere else, which starts to create inflammation, at a minimum. Logically, to the extent we can keep our core fully engaged to try and move normally, it may help reduce those adjustments the body is trying to make that create pain elsewhere. I hope that makes sense - I know every time my back went out for years and my torso would start to twist and spasm, if I focused for a day or two on holding everything tight and aligned, the spasms would release and pain would ease.

Hi @Jaycey @Mojo333 @Jamie ,

I hope you are doing well and thank you all for very useful information and advice!

I have done my steroid injection yesterday and praying it will work for me. Is it possible to advise what to expect from the injection and when? I understand I cannot exercise, I am using crutches and only walk around the house for now.

Any advice would be great!

Thank you so much

@Natka unfortunately everyone reacts differently to these injections. For some there is quick relief. For others no relief.

I had 2 rounds of steroid injections in my spine. They told me to take it very easy for several days and that it could take up to 10 days before seeing any results. The main thing is don't over do any activity.

@Jaycey thank you so much for the prompt response.

I hope it will work and I certainly don't do much but rest and ice.

Thank you

Hello @Natka , im 6 months post op. In my experience , walking after only a couple of weeks post op is a bit too soon , even if it’s for 30 minutes. Walking in general is a low impact excercise , but not for someone who just had FAI surgery. I’m sure I would have been in pain too if I had done the same. You probably just irritated your joint. Im sure with anti-inflammatories and resting + ice will calm down things down.
If you have access to a pool, hydrotherapy was the safest and best form of therapy for me especially in my early phase. Also, my surgeon recommended an upright stationary bike for 30 minutes everyday to prevent scar tissues from forming.
During your recovery period always listen to your body and avoid doing excercises that will cause your hip to flare up. You kind of have to become your own doctor. Let your pain guide you. My surgeon said “pain should not last for more than 24 hours.. if does than you are doing something wrong.” I experienced alot of setbacks because my PT would sometimes push me to do excercises I was not ready for at the time. Just because you are allowed to do something at a certain point doesn’t mean you have to do it. Wait until you are ready. My surgeon said I’m allowed to run after week 10 and I haven’t started yet because it still causes me pain.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Good afternoon everyone and dear experts as well (@Jamie, @Mojo333 , @Jaycey )
I need some advice on muscle strain please.

Three weeks in a lot of pain with not much improvement after anti inflammatories, steroid shot and no exercises at all, just basic walks around the house with crutches, ice and elevation.

Finally, i have had enough and called the ambulance, now in hospital for two days, with both hips, operated one and non operated in severe burning pain. Lots of pain killers they just take the edge, but pain never leaves me. MRIs didn't show anything alarming. Some labral tears on the left, but they believe it should not be that painful. They have discovered muscle strain in both buttocks, looks like PT was too much.

With all of that, I would like to please ask:
Can muscle sprain bring so much pain with no improvement for 3 weeks?
And if it is the case, how long it normally will go for?

I must admit I have run out of patience! Surely, it should not require morphine?

Thank you in advance

Oh no, poor @Natka
I'm sorry you are still in pain and hate that you were hospitalized.
Have they mentioned your piriformis? It can be very painful and hard to resolve also. http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/piriformis-syndrome-a-pain-in-the-butt.9837/

Is icing it helping with the pain at all?
Unfortunately, muscle strains, if severe, can take up to 6 weeks or longer to resolve and need serious resting.

I hope they can get you comfortable and it begins easing off so you can go home soon...
I wish I had a magic answer but time is usually the healer with these issues.
Big hugs that things get better soon.

Oh no, poor @Natka
I'm sorry you are still in pain and hate that you were hospitalized.
Have they mentioned your piriformis? It can be very painful and hard to resolve also. http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/piriformis-syndrome-a-pain-in-the-butt.9837/

Is icing it helping with the pain at all?
Unfortunately, muscle strains, if severe, can take up to 6 weeks or longer to resolve and need serious resting.

I hope they can get you comfortable and it begins easing off so you can go home soon...
I wish I had a magic answer but time is usually the healer with these issues.
Big hugs that things get better soon.
Thank you @Mojo333 so much for the prompt response and warm wishes! Greatly appreciated!

I read the article and it doesn't seem to be piriformis as my pain is more around the hips and buttocks as well, the doctor attributes the buttocks pain to muscle strain.

Not too sure about the rest. He is coming today, I will ask him about piriformis as well.

I am glad I am in hospital for now as it was too much at home without knowing what went wrong, I was patient for over two weeks but could not tolerate it any longer.

At least here they can do investigation and I could talk to doctors and nurses. I said I refuse to leave till the pain is manageable and they have a plan for my treatment or recovery.
So I am praying it will get better!

Thank you once again for your support and advice!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back