fixed or medial pivot bearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meamgray

I'm trying to decide whether to have a fixed bearing knee replacement or a medial pivot knee replacement. I want to keep playing tennis and be active in other sports. Any suggestions on a replacement? Also, has anyone had experience with a Depuy Rotating Platform knee?

Got names for those first two? I don't quite recognise them from your description. I THINK I know which ones they are but want to be sure before I comment.

As for the rotating platform, it's been around a while and seems ok. Just has a bit more rotation than the usual THR but not that much. Some surgeons seem to like them for you more sporty types and they are definitely the product of choice for skiers which is what they were first designed for.

Hi Meamgray, Its not coincidence that I just read your post. God puts us in places for a reason. I just read yesterday, and I beleive it was on the Hospital for Special Surgery in New Yorks's website that the "pivot" TKR prosthetic device has not proven itself better than the "normal" prosthetic device commonly manufactured by Zimmer and DuPuy and the like. Please dont take my work for it, please read up on it and check it out thoroughly.
God Bless,
Chuck T-Man

I've got the Depuy Rotating Platform knee. I'm about 11.5 wks post op and haven't experienced any problems..It was my desire before surgery to get back in to martial arts. I've taught some classes but haven't actively jumped into it. After having the surgery, I believe I will rethink my goals. I enjoy other activities that don't put quit the strain on the knee. I think that the development of the new knees is like buying a computer.. You can wait for the best one but as soon as you buy it, an new and better one is on the market. We can toss the computer but have to live with these knees for awhile...I hope a long long time.

We've got the same knee Doug. Did you ever wonder what rotating platform really meant? I always envisioned the capability to rotate around 360 degrees at the knee joint. Now that would be quite the wonder of the world. What would be a good action hero name for us?

Hi Chuck Tman,
Thanks for the info. I've gone ahead and scheduled LTKR at the end of May with the Depuy Rotating Platform. I still have doubts though...some of my friends have had Zimmer knees and are happy with them. Maybe I'll change my mind.

I've got the Depuy Rotating Platform knee. I'm about 11.5 wks post op and haven't experienced any problems..It was my desire before surgery to get back in to martial arts. I've taught some classes but haven't actively jumped into it. After having the surgery, I believe I will rethink my goals. I enjoy other activities that don't put quit the strain on the knee. I think that the development of the new knees is like buying a computer.. You can wait for the best one but as soon as you buy it, an new and better one is on the market. We can toss the computer but have to live with these knees for awhile...I hope a long long time.
You're right! I want the best technically, but also a tested knee. But what if something new comes out right after my surgery? I'm such a what if person!
Why have you changed your goals? Do you feel you won't be able to get around well enough to teach martial arts? I'm planning on playing tennis after LTKR. Do you think that I should rethink the tennis bit?

Hi there, I was told by my very well respected surgeon that the bearing be it fixed or rotational was not the primary reason why he strongly advised against running...he went on to explain that the forces and stresses caused by impact whilst running can and probably would loosen the prosthesis.I for one very much hoped he was wrong but searching through the many post-operative threads on this and other forums you dont tend to read many posts entitled "Back up and running again"!! BUT I,M GOING TO KEEP LOOKING!!! cheers klinger.

Actually the notion of a 'fixed' joint is a bit misleading. All (normal) knees joints are capable of some rotation in flexion though not in extension for then the anterior cruciate is taught and locks the joint so it doesn't collapse on weight bearing. This is what happens when the ACL is torn and people find their knee gives way.

knee1.jpg

Soo - all prostheses are also capable of some rotation as the femoral component only sits upon the tibial insert. In cruciate sacrificing implants, (below left) there is a projection on the tibial component that locks into a notch in the femoral component so that when the leg is in extension, it ensures the joint is stable in much the same way as the anterior cruciate did. But when the knee is flexed, just like with the cruciate sparing implants, there is a small degree of rotation possible. The rotating platform (below right) simply permits that movement to be a little bit more.

PSkneeWrightMedical.jpg
AMCII-cementless-with-patel.jpg

Hi Chuck Tman,
Thanks for the info. I've gone ahead and scheduled LTKR at the end of May with the Depuy Rotating Platform. I still have doubts though...some of my friends have had Zimmer knees and are happy with them. Maybe I'll change my mind.

Hi Meamgray: If you still have doubts please take the time to investigate and reasearch your TKR prosthesis completely. I took 6 months to investigate and read about my Zimmer before I gave the Dr. the ok. Reach out and speak to people with the same prosthesis. PLEASE, PLEASE be 100% in your choice before you have it implanted!

I have learned from many people here and our Mentor and knee guru Josephine that the Doctors work for us. Not vice versa. The more knowledge we have will show the Doctors that we have done our homework. I also learned from this Post Board that it was ok to change Doctors after the TKR for pain management, which I did and was very happy.

We dont buy a new car without checking Consumer Reports and other sources before making the purchase. We should do the same with our TKR prosthesis. You can find a load of info at the Center for Joint Diseases website that is in New York.

My thoughts and prayers go to you and that you make a 100% recovery like we all did here on this forum.

God Bless and Godspeed!
T-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties