THR Five days post op- dizzy and feel weak

Rholmeswa

Country
United States United States
Five days post op. I still cannot walk far due to dizziness and feeling too weak. I am spending too much time in bed to avoid being dizzy. I have not had much of an appetite either. Have stopped taking narcotics in an effort to calm my stomach. I have kept an eye on my pulse and has been good but when I am walking it races. I know that part is probably due to too much bed rest. Anyone have anything similar?

Butterfly77

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I was very similar, I actually fainted the day after I got home. Thankfully my partner was next to me and I said I think I’m going to faint, he held me up. I was like this on and off for about 2 weeks, my blood pressure was very low. Take it easy and don’t rush yourself is my advice. For me the first 2-3 weeks were the worst for feeling fatigued, dizzy and generally very out of sorts.

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
@Rholmeswa Welcome to BoneSmart! I would suggest you call your family doctor about your symptoms. What medication are you taking now? The dizzy feeling could be a result of medication. But it's best to check as these symptoms aren't getting any better.

Here are your recovery articles:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Country
You lose a lot of blood during surgery and BP is low for a few days after surgery, I know mine was.
Stay hydrated, rest, ice, it's way too early in your recovery and there's nothing wrong with bed rest.
My first couple weeks were bathroom, walk around a bit, maybe cook a light meal, grab a snack, back to bed. My partner took me out for rides now and then!
And your body will tell you when it has had enough for the day.
All my best.

Mojo333

Staff member since August 15, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I was slightly anemic after my surgery so putting some iron rich foods in my diet seemed to help me bounce back.
Standing for a few minutes before starting off also helped my BP to equalize because Falling is against the Rules!
Hope all eases soon.

OP
OP
R

Rholmeswa

Country
I was very similar, I actually fainted the day after I got home. Thankfully my partner was next to me and I said I think I’m going to faint, he held me up. I was like this on and off for about 2 weeks, my blood pressure was very low. Take it easy and don’t rush yourself is my advice. For me the first 2-3 weeks were the worst for feeling fatigued, dizzy and generally very out of sorts.
Thank you. Your reply is very helpful. Always nice to know you are not alone.

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I agree that you check with your physician on this to rule out your symptoms as a side effect of a particular medication.
Eating may help also. I understand it's difficult when you have no appetite, but try to view the food as medicine that may replenish your strength and energy reserves. Rather than laying down, you may want to try remaining upright, sitting, for increasingly longer periods of time. Also, always sitting for a time before standing from a reclining position.
I have kept an eye on my pulse and has been good but when I am walking it races.
Is it regulating though if you stay up and continue walking slowly with your walker, or better yet with someone at your side also? Sometimes we allow fear or discomfort to cripple us when we're really stronger than we're imagining.

Please share your exact surgery date and which hip was involved so we're able to create a signature for you. This will benefit others that stop by to read or comment on your thread.

Since meals sound unappetizing I will leave some snack type protein ideas with the hope something may sound appealing. Wishing you lot of comfort, brighter days are on the way! :SUNsmile:
We're here for support when you need us.

Nuts, Trail Mix, Turkey roll ups (cheese or veggies rolled inside the turkey)
Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Hard Boiled Eggs
Tuna or Veggies & Hummus
Peanut Butter and Apple, Peanut Butter on Celery
Cheese Slices, Beef Sticks
Protein Bars, Protein Shakes
Canned Salmon on Crackers
Edamame
Chicken Salad
No Bake Energy Bites (many online recipes)

OP
OP
R

Rholmeswa

Country
Wow..thank you for such a thorough reply. You managed to touch on all. Yes, I sm trying to eat more for energy. I am getting blood work done tomorrow just to rule out the obvious things. The dizziness is getting worse. My surgery date was: 09/14 and it was my left hip. My right hip was replaced 6 years ago. Tomorrow I plan to sit in a good solid chair.

Tuppence71

Country
I’m 5 days post-op and have been really struggling with nausea and dizziness from the start. Like you, I’ve ditched the narcotics, and am trying to just nibble on bits of food through the day, rather than attempting a meal, which I simply can’t face.

My partner is making me smoothies with banana, milk and protein powder, I’m sipping ginger ale (for the nausea) and trying to drink as much water as possible, both to raise my BP and counteract post-surgical dehydration. I hope we both feel better soon. I was fully prepared for pain and immobility, but not for simply feeling ill.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
I am sorry the dizziness continues. Such an awful feeling. I certainly hope it resolves soon.
Hugs :console2:
@Rholmeswa

Woodstockhip

Country
I recall being dizzy and nauseated after my surgery as well. As others have said, try not to push yourself and if bed rest is what your body is asking for, bed rest is what it needs. You’ll have ample time to mosey around the house when you are feeling less wobbly.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
How did you feel today? @Tuppence71
I sure hope you begin feeling better soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Wally07
Recent bookmarks