TKR FitGal’s Recovery

@sustyr - thanks for telling me your story about the rash! I am glad I am going to see my actual OS on Monday. So much better now without the tape - but the redness and swelling is still there - just less itching.

So, I racked my brain as to what I did differently since Thurs evening - when my incision and stuff looked great..... I came to a weird possible conclusion for the crazy reaction to the glue.... Copper Fit Compression Socks??? My husband brought me some of these knee high compression socks home from the Rite Aid and I put them on my legs on Thurs evening after changing my dressings, etc. I took them off the next morning and took a shower, etc. I put them back on later in the day and wore them again overnight..... When I removed them earlier - I was already feeling a little relief!!!! Hmmmm - does that make any sense????

So sorry to hear about your terrible itching and reaction to the glue. I’m glad you got in there and they took off the bandage. Keep taking your Benadryl. Hopefully yesterday will be your last Saturday check in with them...

You start your PT this week, right? Take it easy for a bit, you’re in charge-not them- remember that.

Hoping your itching improves quickly, Susie

Well I am currently in ER. The redness from yesterday turned to blisters and they are oozing. I called the oncall surgeon and he said let air out. I sent picture to my dad (a doc) and he said go to ER...so that is where I am. Knee is working well and not hardly any pain...just this darn rash!!!!

ER is taking a while. I have my two week follow up with my actual OS tomorrow afternoon.... maybe I should just wait and see him!!!!???

Have you called the OS emergency number? I had the blisters and oozing also. My OS prescribed the antibiotic over the phone when I called and made a special appt for me first thing the next morning so he could take a look at it. That's when the brace and prednisone were added to the mix. The appearance/blisters/oozing changed drasitically for the better within 24 hours. Stayed on it for one week. Including the brace to stabilize the incision...

Back from the ER. The Doc prescribed me Keflex/cephalexin (even though I have no fever, etc). I think he is having me take it more for a precaution. I took one pill so far and will have another before I go to bed. I see my OS tomorrow (finally and thankfully)! This really freaked me out! My knee was beautiful on Thursday and then went downhill within 48hrs. Crazy! Take a look at the differences pictured below. Praying that it gets better soon and that the knee itself is okay! :beg:

zMLOeSP7Qgitxa4mqKKOBQ.jpg Q9C9kKN6RDqr2ualjLHqnA.jpg

Oh wow, what a difference! I’m so sorry you’re going through this. :console2:

I hope the new medication calms things down quickly.

Oh goodness, you poor thing!! I hope the meds help, that looks terribly uncomfortable.

Hope this gets sorted quickly, must be both painful and frustrating. I hope today is a better day and lots of healing occurred with your new medication.

Ow! Ow! Ow! at those pics! Glad you are getting back in to see your OS quickly. This is still very, very early in a long recovery journey that will have its ups and downs. Hang in there!

Wow, what a change in your leg. Hopefully the new meds help clear things up. Glad that you’re seeing your OS today, maybe they’ll have answers. Though those socks might have played a roll like you thought.

Hone things improve quickly, keep us posted

It looks to me as if your rash started as an allergic reaction to the adhesive in the dressing. The shape of the worst rash corresponds almost exactly to the shape of the dressing in the first picture.
If you haven't already done so, do wash your knee gently, with water and a gentle soap, to make sure that all traces of the adhesive in the dressing have been removed. Pat it dry with a clean towel.

It might be a good idea to ask your surgeon about you taking an anti-histamine as well.

Do let us know what he/she says, won't you?

Hi Everyone! Thanks for all the well wishes!

So, last night I remained somewhat miserable. By 5:00am, I was needing relief. I took off my gauze and ace bandages and I placed some clean washcloth compresses around the sides of the incision area and all of a sudden, began to feel some relief - as many of the bubbles began to release their fluid, etc. I decided to leave the knee uncovered after that until my afternoon OS appt, which seemed to also help with relief.

I was worried that my OS and PA would freak out when they saw the knee - especially after I showed them the before and after pictures, but they were pretty calm and said I was having serious delayed contact dermatitis reaction to the tape on the knee. The OS, however, was confused as to why the ER prescribed Cephalexin instead of topical steroid. Anyways, he said since I started the antibiotic, I should probably finish, but he strongly felt I didn't need it and by the end of the appointment he seemed to waiver on whether I should continue taking the antibiotic. (I haven't taken any more doses, yet - it seems to wreak havoc on the GI tract)

The OS prescribed two different topical steroids - saying that sometimes insurance doesn't pay or the pharmacy doesn't have one of them (Impoyzo .25%). He was right, the pharmacy only had the one topical steroid on hand and said my insurance wouldn't pay for the other, so I ended up with Triamcinolone .5% Cream. So far it seems to have calmed the rash a bit. The OS also said that I should keep it uncovered, I can shower, etc.

Other than the rash, The OS and his PA were perfectly happy with my progress and I will begin PT on Thursday. So, overall it was a good visit. Now - to just get rid of this rash!!!

So happy to hear you’re slowly getting better. Hopefully the steroid cream gets rid of your rash soon. Nice that OS was happy overall with your progress, even though you’ve had a set back with blisters and rash. Try to stay as comfortable as you can. If you’re not up for PT this week, cancel it. Hugs

Sorry you're going through so much discomfort! I hope the ointment does the trick and provides permanent relief!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back