Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

Thank you Chrissie @Hoppy Nanny xxxxx ❤️

I did get an X-ray of knee, no issues except swelling on outside and bruising above knee. My OS said it’s sympathetic pain. ???? Glad to know hip number one sorted out over time. OS was so agitated last time, that unless hip hurts worse, I want to get to his advised month so I can say, look I’ve been patient, something isn’t right. He keeps moving bar to when this will be better.

Sarah
Just went back over my first THR thread & screenshot this...

I was 9 weeks post op & Josephine said this to me... it certainly settled my mind.

8cd85a9596281586450c0cca73f942e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy idea I’m trying today is added an insert to right shoe.
Just a caution - this might make you feel sore in other areas like lower back. If you use a lift your weight is shifted a bit. Just be patient - any new stiffness should ease as your body gets used to the new way of moving.

I'm 10 weeks post op and my knees have been bothering me a lot. As a lot of the pain is on the outside or inside of the knee, rather than the front, it makes me wonder if the "knee" problem is really a muscle/tendon problem coming from the thigh/hip as a bunch of stuff terminates at the knee. My PT used the rolling pin on my thigh and I think it may have helped some. But pain around both sides, and even in front, of my operated leg knee (as well as occasional pain on sides of knee on non-operated side) is one of my main symptoms at this time. Good luck with trying to get to the bottom of your painful knees!

Just remembering after my first left THR my right knee was very painful. After right hip was done that went completely. So strange. But the reason I've just dropped doing calf stretching exercises as they caused awful knee pain especially on my good side. So painful on the stairs. It's all trial and error. Wish there was a blueprint for THR recovery!:shrug:

@Fit4Family Oh boy, the highs and lows of a long recovery. It's so :censored: difficult at times, especially when it's been going on for what must seem to you to be an eternity. hugs to you!!
Soft tissues,, esp. angry ones, take a long time to calm down. Have you ever heard somebody, with a sprained ankle, say that their Dr said they would have been better off to have fractured it? Bones knit faster, but soft tissue, which is our support team; our "go to guys" need a lot of time. Mainly because, even with being injured or inflamed, we still ask them to help us walk, carry, rise out of our seats-etc.
So, it sounds like you are healing and your doctor has reassured you, but it's so hard to be patient, isn't it?

The knee is a very complex joint with several attachments swooping down and around the joint. I think that is why your knee is so sore and wonky.. it's the attachments of those tendons(muscles) and they are super grumpy.
I'm happy to read about your massage therapist, a good one is a valuable addition to your care.
If yours has the extra training and certifications for corrective medical, then she/he is most likely perfect for you. It's important to research anybody who will be working with you and your body and just like any specialty, there are good ones and bad ones.
I had my second massage yesterday and boy did it ever help.. I am very vocal in asking for work in the areas that I know need help-- tensor fascia latae, iliotibial band, which inserts down at the knee joint and like you my rectus femurs is a very whiney child who needs coddling.. hahah (sigh) I thought I would only be able to handle light pressure but found moderate pressure to be heaven!
Then she was able to "search and recover" some of the cranky muscles on my lateral calf.
One of the bonuses of massage is the extra flow of blood to the tendons and ligaments, I was taught that our tendons/ligaments don't have a direct blood supply so just imagine how a gentle massage can flush those areas with oxygenated blood!
I had a discussion about this with my husband just last night and he is now going to have another duty on his already long list.. I want him to do a 5-10 minute massage on my leg each night so it's getting an extra boost while I sleep and regenerate. Nothing deep or technical, rather a flushing of the soft tissues.
Wish me luck with this, he is less than thrilled.. :rotfl:

We are having gorgeous, sunny weather this weekend. I am practicing my thankfulness for the weather and for the ability to enjoy it. I hope you are having a wonderful Sunday, too! :loveshwr:

I'm so sorry to hear about your knee pain. How is it doing this weekend? Its good the X-ray didn't show arthritis I think. Muscle and tissue healing take a long time as mentioned by others and I find for me it can be months and then hopefully it will go away. I noticed you mention you walk in the water.
How deep is the water you walk in?
I found that hurt my sore non operated knee pain and bought a pull buoy online for $12, go in the deep end and walk or run or move my legs as much as I can with that thing between my legs and it has helped me immensely. Just an idea if you are comfortable being in deeper water. You don't even have to be over your head. As my knee is healing but not better I find when I do have to walk the short distance to get out of the pool in the shallow end the pull of the water tugs on my knee and I feel some pain.
Hope your knee gets all better soon. This recovery is an ongoing thing isn't it?
Good luck!

Incredibly grateful for your very informative, thoughtful post @CricketHip ❤️ Just what I needed to come back to tonight. I have learned so much from your wisdom sprinkled around this site. Have added deeper breathing when elevating and do see improvement with swelling, particularly my feet. I will make notes from your post for my massage Tuesday. I have not directed what I need and think that will be very helpful. Your thoughts will really be helpful to sort through ideas to try. Thank you!!

Pesky expectations really got the better of me this month. Had it in my mind that I would be mostly healed by now. Not sure why I thought that. :shrug: Learning recovery doesn’t arrive like a package with a bow at completion. It’s more like a home remodeling project when the work drags on for months. The lesson for me this week is that I am not going to be passive anymore and defer to my doctor, or any other medical professionals. I am learning to advocate more, I know my body best and how it’s moving. Trying lots of different things with the hope of getting my body walking again.

Love that you are going to enlist your husband in a nightly massage. Seems like you are quite knowledgeable, so maybe with a bit of luck he will come through and surprise you. Thank you again Carol. :flwrysmile:

Edited for wrong user name.

Last edited:
Hello @lotusbuds

So thoughtful of you to share what is working for you. I have never been a pool exercise person, so all new to me. My knee has been hurting no matter what I do, so will probably pull back on everything except light walking around the house this week. It was suggested by my OS to walk in chest high water forward and backwards no more than 20 minutes to build muscle strength. Not sure if I’ve done it enough to have a read if it’s helping or hurting. That is the tricky part, sitting annoys my knee too, so it can’t be too much exercise. It may just need more time. I’ve been laying down three times a day with both legs elevated. Stiff when I get up.:umm: Hope you are doing ok. Will check back tomorrow. Falling asleep as I type. Sending lots of healing thoughts your way. :SUNsmile:

:wave:Sweet Sarah

Sending you lots of hugs and love for a peaceful week. Please take a deep breath and know you will get where you want to be in due course.

Bom Dia.gif Izzy xx

It is such a slow and wearying process, isn't it @Fit4Family? I am so sorry that it feels like such a struggle when you'd hoped by now to be back to normal. I think, well, actually I'm pretty confident in saying this, that you WILL get there eventually but clearly not on the timeframe set by your earlier expectations. I hope you continue not to give up hope, but to mentally steel yourself to continuing to try to find relief, working with your OS and your physical therapy providers to try out new things, giving them a fair enough period of time to see if they work, and remembering that you are a strong and determined woman and, by golly, you are going to keep working on this until you get it right. And you will. Sending positive vibes your way this Monday morning!

Ahhh that’s better Sarah you are going to be your own advocate and do only what is best for your body... I like that.. very much...!!!!

I like @CricketHip suggestion about hubby’s massages... I might give that a go... wonder if hubby will just love it! [emoji23][emoji23]

Love your analogy to of recovery to a house modelling project... it’s certainly just as weary!

Take care ... thinking of you..

[emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet Izzy @Izabel Happy 5 month Anniversary! 50 steps! Positively thrilled with all your news. Hope your muscles respond quickly to your new strides. xxxx ❤️

Hello @Barbaraj I like your positive thinking! We will get there in do time! Sending positive vibes and wishes for a speedy recovery. Almost two months! :cheers:

Hi Chrissie @Hoppy Nanny. I like your thinking. :heehee: We should tell husbands all the other guys are doing massages. I know you are right about mine liking it. Yes, I’ve given myself a stern talking to, no more whining. Onward and upward. xxxx Sarah

Learning recovery doesn’t arrive like a package with a bow at completion. It’s more like a home remodeling project when the work drags on for months

Love this! It's so true.
Keep moving forward, you WILL get there :walking: and we'll be here rooting you on.
Stay strong and have a wonderful week!
@Fit4Family

Sarah, you are so kind and sweet to all of us on this site.. you deserve a stellar recovery and I think you are on your way Soft tissue is soooo sloooow to heal, though. It's not necessarily a sign that things are irreparably damaged.. they are just sooo sloooow.
I love that you are becoming your own best advocate. It's difficult to do at first. I've found that if I educate myself and get my words organized that the caregivers respect my questions and what I have to say.
You brighten this site for many of us.. we just hope to reflect it back to you!
Speaking for myself, Thank you for your kind words.. it means a lot. :SUNsmile::yes:

I think its great you walk in the deep water. I think that is what I will try. I feel the deeper you are in the less stress on the knees. I am quite bummed as my knee does have arthritis and is healing but slowly. I feel it getting stronger and feel joyous and hopeful then like today we went to Mt. Rainier with our god children (11 & 14) and I found walking with the trekking poles downhill really hurt on my left knee. I was surprised. Uphill was easier. So I only walked slowly about 30 minutes and didn't do the other 2 walks which is fine. but I sure hope I can get this healed. It is so much better but its been 2 1/5 months to get to this point.
I applaud you for taking it easy this week. Rest, ice, elevate...it works. Thinking of you!

Aww thank you sweet friends @Layla @CricketHip @Hoppy Nanny :loveshwr:

The generous people on this forum always gives my heart a lift!! Thank you so much for your wisdom and encouragement. Looking forward to a massage this morning. Excited that I know what to ask for this time. Really hope you are right about this eventually healing. I will keep hopeful. I am encouraged that the Gluteous minimus tendon seems better. I have not pushed it at all, but at 6 weeks since I injured it can definitely feel healing.

One thing that is helping my knee. I don’t know why I never checked this before. The chair I use mostly for sitting since emergency THR was pretty low to ground. I am 5’ 9”. I was pushing out the other day and thought, it might be too low. Ordered bed risers from Amazon. The difference was immediately helpful. Pitched back higher so hip is higher than knee by a tiny bit. Knee is still wonky and swollen, but at least sitting does not hurt now. A small tweek, I’m putting out there for others to try. 2” lifts, who knew??

Hope you all have a great week!! :SUNsmile::wave:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member