• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Fit4Family's recovery thread

OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

graduate
Country
United States United States
Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts. I am up in the middle of the night, unable to stop my racing mind. Great advise here and wisdom from all of you. Have asked to take a long weekend from work obligations so I can regroup and move forward. Thankfully I do have a great PT and will be on her table in the morning. Only got there once this last week and my hip is missing her massage and laser.

Will try to answer each of you tomorrow. Just know you all filled my heart tonight. It’s just a low point, I will get that stiff upper lip back or maybe a stiff lemon cello is in order this weekend.

Cheers all and many thanks.

Cecropia

graduate
Country
@Fit4Family Don't like seeing you so sad and frustrated. Maybe it will just take a lot more time. I'm still having problems at almost 4 months and when I went back to see My OS, he said 9months to a year. Arggg....did not like to hear that. You have a lot of friendly support here, just don't give up....

mikeycat

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
As I read your posts I am disheartened to hear that you are suffering. You had positives but also interjections of not-knowings. Wanting to reclaim our lives while each day brings ups and downs not knowing which will take precedence ,which will take the lead is so hard to endure. We want to wake-up and feel 'nothing' like in our youth when your body didn't shake its finger at you for your attention. I feel your struggles and understand the mind-racing yup I do and the nights are the worse aren't they? We have to hunker down all of us are in this together and we will all progress maybe not to the heights we hoped for but we will adapt and reach our own heights. Keeping good thoughts and vibes for you.

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Sorry to read of your middle of the night struggles, @Fit4Family I know those are the worst times where we're feeling low and it's hard to summon up reserves of hope and patience which disappear in the late night hours. I hope when you wake up this morning, maybe after sleeping in a bit, you'll feel a bit more confident in yourself--still not happy about this lengthy recovery delay--but knowing that things will get better in time and you just need to have faith in yourself and your ability to heal and move on. Hang in there, I hope the dejected mood improves and life will move along for you. Cyber hugs coming your way.

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sarah, I'm sorry you are struggling emotionally in all of this. I'm wondering if it would help if you got some outside help to talk through your situation with. I'm wondering if you're suffering from a bit of PTSD...

You know most of us had time to wrap our head around our surgery as our hip deteriorated, our flexabilty and mobility declined...then came the diagnosis and subsequent surgery. Although many of us struggled emotionally with the decline, the diagnosis and the prospect of losing our natural hip, we had time to process it. Your situation was thrust at you. First the fall on the wet grocery store floor, no arthritis involved. Next the failed hip pinning. Then the 4.5 hour THR surgery with the complication of waking and vomiting during surgery and subsequently bruising your vocal chords leaving you unable to speak for a week. All traumatizing! Add to that the sentence, because I'm sure that's what it felt like, of twelve weeks at 30% weight bearing on a walker. In addition, living in fear from your surgeon's comment that IF you fall, they can't fix you! My heart goes out to you. It's heartbreaking.

I understand your worries that things will never be right again, but please don't lose sight of all the good news you heard at your appointment on Tuesday. Try to focus on that. You've been through a lot over the past 13 months since you fell, but it's only been six months since your surgery, you're really still in the early months of recovery considering how long you'll live with your implant. Your OS reassured you there is nothing wrong with your knee aside from trapped fluid causing swelling and that may be what you need to concentrate on next through dedicated icing, elevation and possibly some of the type of massage CricketHip is involved in. I mentioned my knee has never been the same since my THR, is still tight which I'd imagine is inflammation, but unlike you, mine isn't painful, nor does it stop me from anything. To me, it's a small price to pay in comparison to life before THR. With that said, I do realize your knee issue is the result of a surgery from an accident. Not through any fault of yours, but I don't know that I can view my situation as any fault of mine either. My lot in life, I guess.

I really feel it's way too early to lose hope and hate to see you so sad. Maybe rather than look at progress from week to week, you need to try to keep moving forward, only looking back to re-evaluate every 2-3 weeks right now, allowing yourself a breather in between. You are making progress and you are moving forward, it is just taking longer than you'd like and I'm sure the thought that a fall started this whole nightmare is a tough pill to swallow. Since you can't undo this, all you can do is figure out how to live with it and all the while your body will continue to do the repair necessary to get you back to where you were. Patience, dear Sarah, patience.
Prayers to that end. :prayer: Sending a hug and a reminder we're always here for you.
@Fit4Family

CafeFan18

Country
@Fit4Family — I am at 4 months and still experiencing hobbling knee problems in operated leg and a veritable circus of pain that travels around. Still using cane. I also had previous pinning from fracture.

But I don’t think those are symptoms of failed implant. We need to wait this out. It’s just taking longer than we hoped. Hip replacement is not for faint of heart! Wishing you optimism!

OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

graduate
Country
My heart is so full reading all your heartfelt comments and thoughts. I do feel a bit lifted since my appointment on Tuesday. I have seen my PT for a massage, laser and full on counseling session lol. Also had annual gyn appointment, and saw my doctor who has known me for two decades. He has ordered a few tests and is in agreement that the stress on my body has sent it in to a delayed recovery. He spent 45 minutes with me and shook his head with failed pinning and everything after. So I don’t know what tests will reveal, but at least I feel hopeful that answers are coming.

I don’t know how to answer all of you, may take a couple of days. @CricketHip I have been elevating while I sleep. I do it for first couple hours of night. Swelling in knee improving with massage. Would love to hear your thoughts on home massage for lymph drainage. Thrilled to hear massage is helping you @ceezee Need to spend some time today catching up on everyone’s threads. Still sleeping on my back, so 7 hours and my legs, hip and back scream for me to move, so naps are filling in gaps.

Sweet @Layla Your words really lifted my spirits this morning. You are such an incredible sweetheart! I do feel less blue today. Not full on hopeful, but I’m back at trying to make the most of this situation I have been dealt. Got out with several different groups of friends this week. We had a “no hip talk pack” and spent time talking about real life, hoisted a few beers and many glasses of wine. Good for the soul. I do know others have had much worse to deal with, so I’ve stopped looking backwards and like you said will focus my thoughts on forward motion. I will probably start taking something to help me cope emotionally. But for now, I’m trying to rest when I can and back to daily naps. Mood has improved just getting more sleep. I am ever so grateful for all of your support. Tears now trying to respond to everyone. I do feel way less bummed than I did Tuesday. I also remembered the tendonitis set back. That has played a part in my delayed progress. I will not be trying any crazy moves to improve healing and just wait on my body to get her done! Went back and read my notes from late June. The injury definitely put me back a good six weeks. So maybe that is why I am where I am for six months.

We are so fortunate to live at a time where modern medicine has a fix for deterioration of joints and fractures. I am trying to focus on that and less on the abrupt loss of my fairly fit body. Maybe it would have helped to have more time to process it, but either way “forward” is the only way to focus now. Can’t go back in time. I don’t want to miss anything else with my family, so only doing exercise that doesn’t cause pain or any back sliding of capabilities. My PT said she has this. I believe she will get me further than I am now. Trusting that time will work it’s magic.

Sending :loveshwr: to all my hipster pals. Thank you for taking the time to lift a girls spirits. You all are the best!!

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:hi:
I know how hard it is to not play "why me? over and over in your head, but I try to ask myself "is this helpful?" when I get distressed over circumstances beyond control.
You certainly have had a long difficult time of it.

We are so fortunate to live at a time where modern medicine has a fix for deterioration of joints and fractures. I am trying to focus on that and less on the abrupt loss of my fairly fit body. Maybe it would have helped to have more time to process it, but either way “forward” is the only way to focus now. Can’t go back in time.
So true.
I don’t want to miss anything else with my family, so only doing exercise that doesn’t cause pain or any back sliding of capabilities
Glad to hear you are resolving to stay patient.
My PT said she has this. I believe she will get me further than I am now. Trusting that time will work it’s magic.
Your PT sounds very hopeful and time IS the ultimate healer.

Hope your Sunday is Sweet :flwrysmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

graduate
Country
Thank you @Mojo333 Hope your Sunday is sweet too. :friends:

How is your foot coming along? Hoping you are limping less. Sending healing Mojo your way hipster pal. :flwrysmile:

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Doing better...thank you for asking.
I was relegated to crutches and that did not work out for long. My new hips didnt like being off kilter and my back complained.
I've been walking on it gingerly and the unnatural motion has my calf complaining.
What a syncopated machine we are working with...this human body.

I am trying to stay off of it for the weekend...as work requires lots of walking.
But TODAY is supposed to be BeYooTiful.:SUNsmile:
Gotta get some vitamin D therapy today...hope you can get out some too, dear F4F:friends:

OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

graduate
Country
We have had some gorgeous days here too. Have been working a bit in yard. Probably going to put feet up today and soak in some sunshine. :SUNsmile:

So sorry crutches have made your hips hurt. I do think our body is much like a symphony. One wrong note and it doesn’t operate in harmony. Hope resting brings your poor foot relief. @Mojo333

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Fit4Family You are bouncing back, we love your kind energy on the forum and it warms my heart to see you here again with your philosophical approach to your healing. Sometimes, though, we do need to take a step back and take care of ourselves, especially after you had such a disappointment at your recent Dr. visit. You were wise to do that.

It's good to have that PT in your corner.. you have a good relationship with her and that is so important, too!

I'll leave you the first steps of helping your lymphatic system. Read it at your leisure, let me know if you want a couple more steps geared towards your knee in particular.
MLD is helpful with accumulated inflammation in soft tissues, but needs to be addressed frequently so the diaphragmatic breathing is a great way to start and put to use each night. I've found it very relaxing and helps me fall asleep. :flwrysmile:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Fit4Family well, it's not a link.. but here it is:

Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 5/4 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get any swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand right above or at your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that I could get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this was.. you have lymph nodes seated there in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of sorts.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will and it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't have our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.

OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

graduate
Country
Thank you so much @CricketHip Will try this afternoon when I lay down for a nap. The relaxation part will be very helpful too. My doctor said I had so many signs of stress. Body can’t heal properly without proper relaxation and sleep. Hope you are well and progressing with healing after your return to work. Very grateful for your advice. :yes:

Hoppy Nanny

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Oh Sarah @Fit4Family
I’m so sorry that all this has gone on for you...
I left my phone at my daughters last week & only got it back yesterday..

It is hard when there is pain but no particular answer... hurry up & wait doesn’t cut it .. for sure!

I’m glad that there is no clinical reason for the knee pain which does suggest that trauma & soft tissues are taking longer to heal... your body has had to cope with so much stress since your fall it’s concentrating on the biggest trauma... hip surgery.. hoping it will make its way to your knee very soon.

You have been uplifted by this so generous & loving community...
so sorry to be late to send all my love & best healing wishes.

You are a generous hearted darling to us all....I know you will get there with your recovery ...despite it taking longer than you want.. you will get there.

Lots of love & hugs

Chrissie [emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fit4Family

Fit4Family

graduate
Country
Hello Chrissie @Hoppy Nanny

Fun to see you here this morning. Glad you have been away and spending time with your sister. Hope her recovery is going well. Need to look for you on the knee side and follow your thread.

I am doing much better emotionally and had a nice long weekend to relax and stop obsessing about my hip and knee. I am trying to focus on my whole body and just enjoying what I CAN do.

Thank you for reaching out sweet friend! Hope you have a good week. xxxxxx Sarah

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
BeckyBahn
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags