BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Fit4Family's recovery thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Fit4Family, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

United States United States
    Hi @lotusbuds

I’m so happy to read you have been out walking with your godchildren! Sorry your knee gave you trouble on the decent. I have read that is fairly common. Most people master walking up stairs two legs consecutively before mastering walking down. Harder motion for control. My heart goes out to you as geese, knees can really hurt. After all you have been through a different pain is such a bummer. ❤️

I don’t walk in deep water, think it’s 4’5”. I am 5’9”, so hits me mid chest. I walk backwards more than forwards. My OS said to focus on that as my legs muscles are unbalanced. Have been overusing front of thighs. With prolonged recovery from two surgeries.

Hope you find something that brings relief. I have been using fresh eyes to re-evaluate where I sit and how I move. Working less hours at desk helps a lot. Leaning forward towards monitor really not hip friendly. Sending healing wishes. :SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Just catching up on the forum, and I see you have been employing some great helpful strategies to take the stress off your knee.
    So happy to see you are finding it helpful.
    They must have really wrenched on that leg...
    Keep the faith, my friend.
    We are on your side.:loveshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Good morning @Mojo333 :SUNsmile:

Hope you have a great week! Yeah, knee was fine before the tendonitis, not sure what happened. Everything flowed downstream after original injury. :shrug:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Forgive me if you've mentioned this before...but have you tried wrapping it or some sort of light compression sleeve?
    Just wondered if it would give support and keep it from getting sideways.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. ceezee

ceezee member

So true! I did this with my den sofa, where I basically live during the day, and it made all the difference. I’m short, 5’3” before surgeries, and I think it’s a real advantage in getting through this recovery business.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Izabel

Izabel senior

Portugal Portugal
    :wave: Sweet Sarah

I didn't realise you were so tall! Your gorgeous son must be close to a six footer then?

I don't know where, but I read a long time ago that the knees should be slightly higher than the hips ... never the other way around. At 5'2" I sit on my comfy tub chair with the cushion from the matching one on top of it ... they go back in place when we have guests. :whistle: I think I use around an 18-19" height ... that is what my commode chair is. I also have my walker at it's highest to force me to stand upright. I may be shorter but I wear a 29-30" inseam in jeans, so sadly that makes me short waisted! :sad:

I hope you enjoy your massage today.

Beijos.jpeg Izzy xx

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Hi @Izabel

Very interesting about knees higher on chairs. Both my PT and OS said to sit with hip higher to not put pressure on it. Might be the tendonitis. :sorry: Not sure I ever thought about it before this. Smart to keep your walker higher. It’s so hard to remember not to lean on it when it’s set lower.

You do have long legs for your height! My inseam is 34”, so yeah all legs. Our son is 6’3 and only 14. He is going to be really tall. Picture is from 2 years ago, he was shorter then. Last year I didn’t get to get a tree. Really hoping to be able to climb up the hill and cut down a beautiful one this year! A girl can dream.

Sending love and sunshine sweet Izzy! :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good morning, @Fit4Family I also didn't realize you were so tall (I'm around 5'8-1/2") so maybe some of your suggestions might work for me if I start running into trouble. So far--knock on wood--after what felt like a tough couple of weeks, I feel like I'm roaring ahead. Sure, I'm still stiff and sore (and mornings, oh, those are hard) but so far nothing to impede my recovery. I hope the various things you are trying (and smart to keep looking and trying new things--something(s) got to work) will prove helpful and provide the relief you need. And I am choosing to believe that by the time the winter holidays roll around you WILL be doing much better, and will be able to head out and find the perfect Christmas tree to celebrate the end to a year of recovery. Have a great day!

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  9. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I’m a 5’2” midget by everyone’s standards (apart from Izzy ) & I, too use two tub chair cushions to bring me up higher...
    you tall girls I’m jealous!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. lotusbuds

lotusbuds member

I don’t walk in deep water, think it’s 4’5”. I am 5’9”, so hits me mid chest. I walk backwards more than forwards. My OS said to focus on that as my legs muscles are unbalanced.
    I will try that tomorrow morning. Mid chest it is. I am 5'3". I can see walking backwards would feel better for me than forwards. Thanks!
    Yah walking down is brutal. Good to hear that is normal. Thanks!
    Have a great day and hope you have as little pain as possible.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Izabel

Izabel senior

Portugal Portugal
    :yikes: Shoot me now please ... :sos: ... I don't know where my brain was! What brain ... :shocked: I meant LOWER THAN THE HIPS ... :bolt:

Sweet Dreams.jpeg Izzy xx

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Hi @Mojo333

I will ask PT on Friday about compression sleeve. She said today the knee is swollen from IT band. Irritation moved down leg from original bursitis. Her thought is when tendon is healed, knee will come along. Thank you for suggestion.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Izabel

Izabel senior

Portugal Portugal
    Don't forget about cutting one of those sexy stockings for knee support. I wear mine every day and feel it really helps with support. Mine is a size 1 ... well, it has a number one embroidered in the elastic band.

Have a lovely weekend Sweet Sarah. xx
    BettyBoop kisses.jpeg Izzy xx

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good day, @Fit4Family I hope it's starting out reasonably well for you, and that knee pain after a night of rest is perhaps easing up a bit. I know this swelling is really uncomfortable for you, and I hope you get some relief soon. I think the idea of a compression sleeve to help with the swelling makes sense to me. Have a good Friday and here's to a good weekend as well. Cheers!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Hello @Izabel

Hope you have a lovely weekend too sweet Izzy! PT said she would continue with icing, not compression. It’s super hot and humid here. Didn’t think it would help as swelling is ligaments and muscles. On positive note leg is less knotted up today. She said muscles were laying long and flat. Seems like massages are starting to really work!!

xxxxx ❤️ Sarah

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

:cheers: Cheers @Barbaraj Hope you are doing well today. Must feel like a new lease on life without TEDs!!

Knee is feeling much better thank you. Massage really is releasing tight muscles and ligaments. PT said she felt lots of improvement today. Continue to ice, rest and stretch! It’s working!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

That’s so good to hear Sarah...
    The massage was a godsend to me after my first THR... glad your PT can feel the improvement too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Hi Chrissie, @Hoppy Nanny

Hope you had a great week! Thank you so much for suggestion of therapeutic massage. It is starting to pay off. Hoping it gets me moving soon without pain. Hope you have had fun with grandchildren. We are in final week of summer here.

Hope your knee is behaving. xxxx ❤️ Sarah

• Like Like x 3
  19. bickypeg

bickypeg graduate

Sounding much better @Fit4Family so pleased for you. Why aren't we all given massages as well as the boring exercises?!

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Hello @bickypeg

Glad you got out for a nice long stretch and walk this week. Massage is really helpful. I wish the effects were long lasting. I do think there is some cumulative impact on my lower leg but my side of hip and knee are still stiff. Trying to warm it all up daily with a shower massager and gentle rubbing.

Sleep has been hard to come by this week. Not sure if that is hip or life related. Busy week here. Hope you continue to move forward in healing.

• Friendly Friendly x 2