First timer Getting close

Joeygal

August 20 is my date. 70 year old first timer. Having left hip replaced via anterior.
Dr gave me a choice of route. Is that unusual?

@Joeygal Welcome to BoneSmart! Glad you don't have to wait too much longer for that new hip.
Dr gave me a choice of route. Is that unusual?
What were your choices? Usually the surgeon will use the approach they have the most experience using taking into consideration your own medical situation.

The way I understand things, the anterior approach has received a lot of attention in recent years, and a lot of surgeons have begun to learn that approach. There seems to be a transition period when surgeons who have been doing the "older" posterior approach and are learning the "new" anterior approach ...(I use quotation marks because apparently all these approaches have been around for a long time.)

During that transition time, surgeons might operate using different approaches ... I think at some point, surgeons settle on a way that feels most comfortable and pretty much stay with that approach, tweaking it and improving it along the way.

You might want to ask your surgeon how many "anterior" approach surgeries he has done vs. using another approach. Speaking personally I would NOT want to be among the first 100 cases of a surgeon who is shifting to the anterior approach (or probably any new approach). But that's just me.

You can literally ask your surgeon for a recommendation and why they use both approaches. You can ask how many posterior vs. anterior surgeries the surgeon has done. They'll know that info off the top of their heads, and it's not considered rude to ask.

I agree with GrannyC.
If He has the choice, I'm guessing he will choose the approach he feels he is more proficient with.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom