Lounge Doctor

THR First Time

Kittymom

Country
United States United States
Hi All...new here but am scheduled for hip replacement July 15th. Really nervous but ready to be done with hip pain.

Spex10

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi. My first hip op (hope it's the last!). Hope all goes well with yours. I'll be looking out for your update posts!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Kittymom Welcome to BoneSmart! Which hip is being replaced? We will put the information in your signature for you.

OP
OP
Kittymom

Kittymom

Country
Thank you, it's the Right hip. Don't think it will be my last, left hip in bad shape too.
I'm new to forum's so just trying to read up on how it all works. Wanted to know how others are coping with THR and if it's worth it.

Eman85

supremo
Country
If you're in pain from the hip joint it will fix that. So to eliminate that pain it's worth it or was for me. My pain when trying to sleep was what really made it bad and that is completely gone. Read the posts and the recovery guidelines so you have a realistic picture of the recovery period. The operation is easy, you awake with a new hip and then the journey begins.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hello,
Welcome to BoneSmart and thanks for joining us! Looks like you’ve already made some friends and found others having surgery within days of yours. I loved that about the forum during my early months here. Even though we’re cautioned not to compare recoveries, there is something comforting about going through the process in real time with others. Also, all of those who had surgery before you are able to relate and offer beneficial advice.

We all understand the pre-op anxiety also. The medical professionals you’ll deal with will make the process seem effortless and their relaxed approach will bring comfort as each confidently carries out the duties that have become second nature to them as just another day on the job. You’ll soon be joining the ranks of the recovering on the healing side of the forum and I will look forward to following your journey there.

Best wishes for physical comfort and a sense of peace as you wait.
Hugs :)
@Kittymom

OP
OP
Kittymom

Kittymom

Country
Thank you all. It's such a comfort to hear from others that have gone through or are going through joint replacement. I know there are much worse things to go through so I'm staying positive. I'm also excited to be able to tie my shoes again. Sad as it may be.

Your "badge of honor" stories, words of comfort and advice are inspirational.

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Kittymom Being able to do mundane things - like tying your shoes - without pain is a blessing! I had both hips replaced 9.5 years ago and I am thankful every day for modern medicine, the helpfulness of family and friends, and the support and wisdom of BoneSmart! Some of the members here go back to physically strenuous jobs and activities - me I'm happy to just manage my mundane life :)

Your beautiful kitty will also be a wonderful purr-a-medic for you during the healing time! My 2 certainly were.

Eman85

supremo
Country
If you have limited ROM post op you will be surprised at the new found ROM. The downside is your muscles will be surprised too! They will protest at first and you have to slowly tech them. I did an experiment pre-op with my hips about ROM. Just lying on the floor and having someone watch I did the snow angel thing and my hips would only go so far. Post op it was amazing how much more they would go.

OP
OP
Kittymom

Kittymom

Country
Your beautiful kitty will also be a wonderful purr-a-medic for you during the healing time! My 2 certainly were.
Thank you, I have two also and they are a complete joy. I know they will be giving me a lot of TLC.

Post op it was amazing how much more they would go.
This is good to know. My ROM had just been getting less and less. I am so looking forward to getting back to feeling normal again. I know it may still be a while, other hip is bad too, but it's a start.

Just trying to get everything ready this weekend. Still feeling a little like I'm flying blind but what doesn't get done before surgery will just have to wait. I am working right up to the day, so not much time. On the bright side it will keep me busy. Still reading through all the posts and information. Very helpful! The Dr. and nurses have been very good, but like to put a "piece of cake" spin on it. It's good to hear from those that have been through it.

Thanks all...

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Kittymom your day is almost here! You're going to be feeling so much better in the near future. Definitely make sure you have plenty of ice/gel packs on hand, they are a life saver! Always remember to put a towel or something between your skin and the ice.

If your kitties are like mine they will be good about steering clear of jumping on your hip, running out in front of you, etc. They were really good when I was in recovery but of course now, all bets are off!.:catbutterfly:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Stopping by to say :hi: @Kittymom
Wishing you all the best tomorrow! I will look forward to following your healing journey on the recovery side once you’re resting comfortably at home. Hope to see you there soon!

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
knobbyknees
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom