THR First Hip Replacement

Michael_00

Country
United States United States
Hey Everyone,
I am 21 and have a host a hip problems stemming from dysplasia in the last 5 years. This will be my 8th surgery on my right side, after 2 labrum repairs and bone work, a PAO and screw removal, a psoas release, capsule and labrum replacement, and finally a last look with some cleaning of the joint. The first surgery was in the May of 2016 and the last in May of this year. None of them gave me pain relief for very long and were ineffective at preventing arthritis.
My surgery is on November 3rd and will be uncemented. I am planning on returning to college back in January, so was wondering if there was anyone around my age who has had a replacement and how their recovery went.
Thanks,

Hello Michael and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
I’m sorry for all you’ve been through. I believe you will finally find relief through joint replacement. You’re not the first person in their twenties and while I can’t think of anyone’s thread to point you to spur of the moment, I will work on it.

You will find many here that have dealt with hip dysplasia and a torn labrum. For starters, if you type either Hip Dysplasia or torn labrum in the SEARCH at the top right corner of the page, threads will pop up where either have been mentioned. I will leave some pre-op reading for you and hope you’ll stick with us so we can support you leading up to surgery and into recovery,
Wishing you comfort as you await November 3rd.
@Michael_00

Following is the thread of a 25 yr old female. I’ll try to find a couple more for you.

Thank you so much for the all the information and resources.

You’re welcome!

Here is the thread of a 29 yr old female -

Hey Everyone,
I am 21 and have a host a hip problems stemming from dysplasia in the last 5 years. This will be my 8th surgery on my right side, after 2 labrum repairs and bone work, a PAO and screw removal, a psoas release, capsule and labrum replacement, and finally a last look with some cleaning of the joint. The first surgery was in the May of 2016 and the last in May of this year. None of them gave me pain relief for very long and were ineffective at preventing arthritis.
My surgery is on November 3rd and will be uncemented. I am planning on returning to college back in January, so was wondering if there was anyone around my age who has had a replacement and how their recovery went.
Thanks,
My story and history of surgeries is identical to yours except I had all this same work done to BOTH hips. I have had to finally also finally agree to getting a replacement but haven't had it done yet. Waiting for a date as we speak, so you are 1 step ahead of me on that one.

Was born with bilateral hip dysplasia, 6 bilateral hip scopes to fix labral tears, detachments and replace sections in both hips. Had a surgery in both for FAI as well as PAO's on both hips(done twice on the left hip due to non-union).

Will follow your thread. Keep your chin up my friend-you've got this. I'm excited for you. This is going to be an exciting journey to be able to finally be pain free! Can't wait to hear how your progress updates go. Did they say what type of implant they are putting in?

I didn't have a THR at a young age, but I did have hip problems when I was young. Mine was SFCE related and had pins inserted in my left. The another attempted to remove the pins which didn't work out well. Keep in mind this was in the 60's, procedures and hospitals aren't what they are today. With the knowledge and implants they have today it's a whole different world. The one thing I can tell you whether you're young or old the pain will be gone. That deep bone ache and those sharp shooting pains in the joint will be gone. The recovery will be more tedious than painful but the end result will be worth it.

Unfortunately the prospect of arthritis for dysplasia is always going to be there. Until some gene therapy is available.

I have learnt the solution is keep the thing warm! it slows progression. Yes I do the diet, vitamins and keep house a few degrees warmer….cover hip up when out to keep it warm, and last few year apply heat pad as soon as i am back from shops in winter…have all helped tremendously to tone down the immediate flare up of the cold wet winters in UK. taking long breaks in summerlands in winter also helps hugely. The breaks dont need to be expensive..i would go camping and hiking. Limits expense, increases enjoyment. I had no problems with a 55 litre backpack.

whether this will also be of use to you, I dont know. I hope so. Some normality is possible just with some precautions. living with fear of arthritis but disregarding advice to minimise arthritis and extend your life options, just decreases quality of life.

you have lived under restrictive conditions. Each action now alters those. You are no longer under the same conditions. But you are now possibly predisposed to seek limitations and use them to recreate your life under familiar conditions because then you know how to manage your life. But those conditions, limitations have been or will be removed. They are your past, not your future. Resist recreating them by using fear of arthritis as your new go-to life limiter. Start understanding the arthritis enemy and use your knowledge to protect your budding new life.

you should consider some help to restructure your perceptions, belief system snd thoughts to allow wider, new possibilities to exist. It may help.

go off and enjoy every minute you have. At the end of the day all we have are memories. So go get some good ones.

Hi Autumn01
Your post cheered me because I have never used ice in my recovery and no body ever mentioned it in hospital. I saw it used a lot by knee replacement patients with my first THR. I wondered if it was a US v UK thing.
My first THR was in December 2013.& ironically, Friday 13th! Lucky for me!
Keeping warm was a major part of my ongoing recovery.
This time September has been kinder and mild but like you say typical UK damp so my electric blanket has been fetched out early.
I elevated for swelling and I experienced extensive bruising this time which looked even worse after the haematoma on day four.
The nurses took out the staples, like with another poster on here, alternate ones initially then the rest, were very surprised at the speed my bruising had faded.
Getting all the staples out was a relief but damn uncomfortable as some got embedded. I'm sure anyone passing the nurses room thought I was giving birth!

Hey Everyone,
Thanks,
My story and history of surgeries is identical to yours except I had all this same work done to BOTH hips. I have had to finally also finally agree to getting a replacement but haven't had it done yet. Waiting for a date as we speak, so you are 1 step ahead of me on that one.

Was born with bilateral hip dysplasia, 6 bilateral hip scopes to fix labral tears, detachments and replace sections in both hips. Had a surgery in both for FAI as well as PAO's on both hips(done twice on the left hip due to non-union).

Will follow your thread. Keep your chin up my friend-you've got this. I'm excited for you. This is going to be an exciting journey to be able to finally be pain free! Can't wait to hear how your progress updates go. Did they say what type of implant they are putting in?
I actually don't know what type of implant they are going to use but it will be a lateral approach due to all my prior surgeries. I was fortunate that I only needed a pao and labrum repair on the left side. I can't image doing a pao twice on one side. I wish you a quick and easy journey to find your surgery date.

Hey Michael,
I hope you’re hanging in there, ready to get on with the process and back to life without the hip pain you‘ve been dealing with. We’ll be watching for you on the healing side and hope you’ll allow us to follow your journey and support you along the way.

Since it’s the day before your surgery, feel free to start a thread on the Hip Recovery Forum, if you’d like, where you will receive well wishes and we can leave you our Recovery Guidelines which I believe you’ll find beneficial.
Wishing you all the best and hope to hear from you again soon.
@Michael_00

Hey @Michael_00
I know exactly how feel! I hope your surgery went well! Im 25 and just had a Total right hip replacement 9/20/21 due to Avascular Necrosis. In 2019 I had to have spinal surgery, due to a malformation on my spine, that almost left me paralyzed. The worse pain in my life, aside from the pain I had before this hip surgery.

On both occasions I couldn’t walk, I was wheel chair and walker bound. When I learned that I had AVN(avascular necrosis) this year, my whole world went upside down. I was like why me, why now, I just had spinal surgery! It was a lot to take in, especially at a very young age. I saw all my friends living life while I was stuck trying to recover, I was in my feelings a lot of the time. Unfortunately I dealt with the pain for almost a year until I found a great doctor to do my surgery.

When I tell you I was nervous… I was nervous.. but I knew it had to be done.
I believe my replacement is uncemented and the approach was lateral. The first week there was a lot swelling. Just make sure you ice and elevate. I did have a limp for about a month, my stitches healed perfectly! I’m mad about the scar but it’s better than the pain I was feeling. I’m happy that I made the decision to get the replacement, you should too! It’s a major decision. I know I fed you a lot there lol but just left me know if you have any questions for me. Would love to hear how surgery went! Please keep the faith ☺.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone,
Thanks,

Hey I know it's an old question but I just remembered you asked. I had a chromium and ceramic implant.

Best of luck for your operation and i hope it will bring ease for you.

How are you making out Michael? how is your recovery coming along? are you in less pain now than you were before your surgery? Are you happy you had it done?

How are you making out Michael? how is your recovery coming along? are you in less pain now than you were before your surgery? Are you happy you had it done?

I am doing incredibly well. My pain is gone, now that's not to say it isn't sore occasionally, but the deep pain is gone. At physical therapy things that I worked for 6 months to attempt, are being done at 6 weeks. My pt. limits are when my muscles get tired, not when pain overwhelms my hip. My recovery had some bumps but wasn't bad at all. At 6 weeks I am walking over a mile a day and going farther almost every day, compared to after the pao's where I wasn't allowed to even start to weight bare. until the 6-week mark.

I am thrilled that I had it done. I am planning on returning up to college in the spring and am doing more now than I could in years. Honestly the greatest thing is that my hip no longer hurts all day. If you have any questions, please let me know.

So happy to see you are doing well....lots of improvements to come, too.:tada:
Glad you will be able to get back to school...and your life without the horrid hip pain.

Hope your holidays are Sweet:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

@Michael_00 Wonderful update! Isn't it the best feeling ever? To live without that chronic grinding pain and ache, day after day? I still marvel at my new hips and all that I can do with them.
Keep up the good work.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom