THR Firm cushions for my Lazy Boy couch?

Elenalb

Country
United States United States
Having THR on 2/27/23. Need advice on good firm cushions for my old Lazy Boy couch. Can’t afford to buy new couch. Thanks.

@Elenalb Hi and Welcome!

Thank you for posting your surgery date. I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information. Since we prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one, I’ve started this one for you so you can get suggestions for your couch.

Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread, and Best Wishes for your surgery! :flwrysmile:

Here is some pre op information for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
I am not sure if you'd be interested, if its in the budget, or if you have the space, but some member's have rented a recliner for early recovery. Then there is the option, Eman, mentioned above. Also, depending on how saggy your sofa cushions are and whether they are thick cushions, would you be able to place one on top of another without being too high that you lose back support? Not a great look for your living space, but possibly a temporary fix? I hope you find a comfortable solution until seating isn't as restricted. Let us know what you come up with.
A great weekend to you!
@Elenalb

Hi @Elenalb I'm excited for your upcoming surgery! @Eman85 's suggestion is excellent, easy, and relatively inexpensive. There might alsk be places near you that cut foam of all types to the size you want. We have one not too far from us here, and half my living room furniture has had foam seating from there over the decades. Also have had some mattress-sized pieces cut for kids' beds lo those years ago.

I realize you might be needing "firm" so you don't break a 90 degree precaution early on. I didn't have that precaution with my anteriors, but what I did have was "golf-ball-butt-itis" aka piriformis syndrome. Feels like sitting on a golf ball, very painful, usually resolves itself, and wow did I appreciate my squishy foam seating!

@Elenalb I brought a couple of chairs in from the garden, cheap plastic ones, and loaded them up with cushions. One in the sitting room, one in the dining room. A cost free solution since we only have sofas. They’ve worked reasonably well and my granddaughter loves sitting high up in them.

The plastic garden chairs with arms worked great for me. I used one at the table and ate all of my meals there with no problems. They were comfortable with a cushion and the arm made it easy to get in and out of.

Dependent on how much height and firmness you need.. I bought a very firm pad that was to go onto the seat for my mother's wheelchair. It was just enough to help her on the soft chair that she was worried about plus we took that thing and used it in alot of chairs and situations.
It might be especially nice if you opt to do an outdoor chair and need the padding.

I agree with @Layla and did the same for both of my hip surgeries. I rented an electric lift chair and used it almost constantly, slept in it, ate dinner in it, watched tv and chatted with friends, while all cozy in it.
It was some sort of vinyl so it could be disinfected , then when it arrived, I draped a nice large quilt over it.

The medical supply store had two men deliver it and set it up It was a real love affair between me and that chair, then one day I looked at it and decided it wasn't needed any longer so called the delivery people and had it picked up.

Best Wishes on Monday!
Please join us on the Hip Recovery Forum once you are back home and resting comfortably.
We will look forward to following your healing journey. :) :-) (:
@Elenalb

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom