THR Review after 1 year - is it necessary?

new hip is priceless and I hope yours is doing brilliantly!
Yep, my hip is great. No pains at all! :loveshwr: But I'm still working on building strength in the glute muscles and lengthening hamstrings and achilles via Pilates. It's tough but I'm sure I'll get there eventually. :bored:

Glad to hear you're doing well and hopefully you can get the eyes taken care of soon so you can continue on your walks with the boys. Stop by once in a while and say hi! @Fiona444

Yup, you're gonna love those new lenses. I got them for cataracts and they are great. I had to go back and get both of 'em lasered (a fast and painless 10 minute procedure as they both developed cloudiness in the socket behind the new lenses, but it wasn't a big deal and happens to about 20% of folks who receive implants. Glad those hips are working so well and allowing you to be as active as you'd like with your canine friends--hurray. And glad hubby's polyps, all five of 'em, got removed and weren't cancerous. Whew, what a great relief. I know he'll have to get more regular check-ups, a good thing as you noted, but sounds like he's in good hands. Have a great week!

Hello :wave:
I think the instances you described that cause an awareness of your hip, the stiffness when rising and twinges upon awkward movements sound totally normally at this stage. You're doing awesome @Fiona444 for only a tad over three months. You've been back living life for awhile already and that's the goal and reason we go through the surgery.

Sorry to hear the news on hubs, but you received the "all clear" and with regular monitoring he should be okay. Wishing you all the best while dealing with your eyes. Stop in and say Hi once in awhile and enjoy recapturing your life!

hello @Fiona444 :wave: You sound great! I have to comment on the eyes that were weak from babyhood, me too! Well, I was in the third grade and eventually had the thickest lenses.. I hate dthem. Thank goodness for contact lenses, but then! Laser surgery to fix my eyes.

Your hip is truly the forgotten hip and that makes me so happy for you. Mine lagged a bit but has really stepped up to the plate lately.
Your updates have always been enjoyable, I hope you pop in and continue to give them when you can. :flwrysmile:

Hi guys!

Thank you for all the well wishes, it really is wonderful!

Just one more week until I see the surgeon for my eyes and am so excited. Just want it all over and to enjoy not wearing heavy specs that steam up when I come in from walking the dogs or opening the dishwasher and are not constantly spattered with rain drops!!

I have started doing some floor exercises like planks, sit ups and curl ups to tone up my core and midriff a bit. I do notice that my op hip is slightly stiffer than the other and notice that sitting cross legged is not too comfy. Assuming that should loosen up over time but not a great issue. One thing I do love is that the weather is quite cold and damp and I have none of the pain that I had this time last year which is amazing to me. Its going to be dry today (miracle) so off to take the boys out for a nice romp and see if I can pick up my pace a bit :doggie:

Have a wonderful weekend all of you!

Wow, back to planks already, @Fiona444? That's very impressive. I'd eventually like to get back to doing those daily but right now I don't think it's a good idea--still a bit too stiff and achy and I realize my core needs work but starting with planks (one of the hardest of core exercises) is probably not in the cards. But the fact that you, at only a week ahead of me, are already doing that kind of thing gives me hope. And, yes, you are going to LOVE those implants. You'll probably wear readers but you'll be able to go outside without glasses and live a good part of your life without 'em. After years as a glasses wearer myself, I was very happy when I got cataract surgery and had good (not great--heavy sigh--that isn't ever going to happen but I still feel as if it's pretty darn good) results. Hope you and the boys had a nice romp, and you've got a pleasant weekend ahead. Enjoy!

Hello Fiona :wave:
You're doing well for three months post op. I do think the stiffness you mentioned will ease with time. If we don't hear from you before your eye appointment next week....wishing you all the best.
I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@Fiona444

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
It's wonderful you're back engaging in life. No grass growing under your feet it seems. Next time you drop by the forum, leave us an update. We'd love to hear how you're doing these days.
Wishing you the best of everything!
@Fiona444

Happy Four Month Anniversary hippie sister! I know you are definitely out there living your life and walking the puppies, what a difference a few months can make! Swing by and drop a line when you slow down. :friends:

Hi guys!
Cannot believe it is 4 months already! Mind you, the weather is a bit different to how it was in July! One thing that sticks out massively is that I have no pain now that it is cold and damp. Last year was horrendous and the cold weather crippled my arthritis even struggling to walk short distances. Then the electric shock pain when I stood or walked in a certain position. I feel so grateful that is not my life any more.

Eyes are not done yet sadly. I apparently have a short eye! Who knew.....and because the vision is so poor and such an odd shape they have to order a special lens that takes 6 weeks to come. Due to have surgery now on the 16 December. I was so gutted to have to wait but at least not too long.

I have had the week off this week and been gardening. Digging in cloggy muddy earth! Who would have thought that was possible :loll:Well it is and I am so delighted.I ache slightly if I fall asleep on hip side but that is about all I am getting now. Can even run a bit when playing with pooches. I think I could even run further if I was fitter but not going to risk it as I want to look after my hip so it lasts a long time. It is just so good to know that I could do it if I wanted.

Thank you for all the well wishes and I hope that you are all doing great too. Will now catch up on some of the threads!

Wow, you did 6 miles?!! That is super impressive, @Fiona444 You sound like you are doing fabulously well. Sure, maybe some residual stiffness and soreness if you overdo things, but I'd say you are doing really well and normal life has resumed but better--no more horrid arthritic pain! Congratulations!

I feel so grateful that is not my life any more.
Ain't it wonderful!! I remember autumn /winter 2018 with tears in my eyes. Good luck with YOUR eyes in December! Soon! Enjoy the holidays with happy hip and no specs to fog up! Stay dry. We're ok here in Worcestershire - on high ground.

Last edited:
What an awesome update, Fiona! Thanks for sharing. Your recovery has been
such a good one. You're blessed! Too bad about the delay with eye surgery, but like you mentioned, not long now. Please stay in touch and let us know how it goes. Until then...all the best to you!
@Fiona444

Great update, sorry the eye surgery was delayed. Please let us know how it goes once it's over. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! It is amazing the changes in 4 months. :egypdance::angel:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks