THR Review after 1 year - is it necessary?

Hi @Fiona444
I'll bet going back to work was an adjustment. Hopefully you can get the rest you need once you're home for the day. At only two months post op it's still early recovery.

I am used to moving just about normally now and it is not always in the forefront of my mind.

This is where we all differ. At two months post op and actually many months beyond that, my new hip remained pretty much in the forefront of my mind. Possibly your surgeon senses your free-spirit and is trying to reel it in a bit, as the possibilities he's suggests are real. I don't walk around thinking about infection everyday, but at only two months post op I was still pretty conscientious about my movement. Once my surgeon's PA reminded me early on that our prosthetic is not like our natural hip and will never match our natural hip...I gained a little more respect for it, lol.

I'm sorry to hear about hubs. I'm sure it is worrisome for both of you. Hopefully all turns out well next week.
Prayers and good thoughts to that end.
Hugs

@Fiona444 you have had a rough week, you definitely deserve some down time. I'm moving much more freely than earlier on but am still way behind you in what I do. I still keep the hip in my mind but not necessarily right in the front like right after surgery.

As far as cat scratches go, kind of hard to live in my house without some, they even walk on me in my sleep. I just try to keep them as clean as possible and keep an eye on them. I actually had one when they did my surgery, they asked what happened, asked if we should put a bandage on it and they were you can if you want it. They didn't seem real concerned. Maybe my system is just used to cat germs after all these years! :snork:

Sorry to hear about Hubby's experience with the colonoscopy. I've been there, done that and am overdue for one, finally only every 5years now. As far as the diverticulitis it is very treatable at the mild stages. Hubby may have to adjust his diet a bit but will hopefully be fine.
You definitely need some down time this weekend! :friends:

Thank you so much @Elf1 and @Layla for your practical and calming advice. I must admit I have felt quite low. I am certainly not cavalier with my hip but I am going to try and be a bit more mindful. I certainly do not want any issues.

He has absolutely no symptoms re the diverticulitis so that was a shock along with the polyps so hoping that whatever it is, all will be resolvable.

You are both right, I just need to gather myself a bit and take a breath. Thank you

@Fiona444 So sorry that you have been feeling low. I expect your surgeon is erring on the side of caution with all his warnings, but I totally understand your feelings of disappointment on hearing them. He sounds the exact opposite to my surgeon, whose very cavalier attitude I found annoying. ( "I have given you a new hip - now just get out there and use it!")
You have heard and understood what he had to say, but don't let it dominate your thoughts now.
The fact that your husband has had no symptoms must surely be a good thing - I hope all will be resolved very soon.
Sending virtual hugs ...:console2:

I agree with @linette333 in terms of her practical response to your doctor's comments: you heard what he had to say and his admonitions, but don't let this overwhelm you. I think you're doing great, @Fiona444, and while being sensible and mindful of your body movements is appropriate (no joining the circus tomorrow), don't become fearful and anxious. The return to work sounds exhausting, and the doctor's visit plus your husband's diagnosis must have added to the stress. I hope you take this weekend to just relax and recharge. Hang in there, have faith in yourself.

Take it easy this week-end. Polyps are usually removed during a routine colonoscopy but I see that hubby needs to go back. All will be well. Diverticulitis is usually controlled with a change in diet. It is very disheartening when one is dealing with one's own issues and have to deal with a loved one's as well and you are returning to work. I feel for you. You don't need the added stress.Do something really nice for yourself.

I'm sure your hip will continue to be fine @Fiona444 a healthy awareness is all you need and that doesn't mean dwelling on your new hip 24/7 but being conscientious in your activity, especially this early on.
I'm sorry you're feeling low and worried about hubby. I'll bet it you read a little about Diverticulitis, if you haven't already, it may not feel as overwhelming to you. Hopefully all is well with the next polyp and this will soon be a blip on the screen.
Wishing you peace of mind and a peaceful relaxing weekend!

It's the weekend, @Fiona444, so I hope you are relaxing and taking advantage of time off after your exhausting return to work last week coupled with anxiety about your husband. Today is the day to just do whatever relaxes and restores you--I'm guessing a long walk might be in your future today or tomorrow as you seem to get a real mood boost as well as physical exercise from your strolls with pooches. Enjoy your time off, brief though it is until Monday.

Hey - 2 months already and I missed it!?! Darn! Belated hops skips and jumps for your 2 month hipaversay!!! :happydance::spin::dancy:. After those first couple of horrid weeks you've zoomed this recovery! You are out with your pooches :dogwalk:and enjoyed a nice holiday. You can stand proud and tall and support hubs through his momentary issues, which I do hope are just temporary and will all be resolved soon. Time to celebrate, but there's even more good healing stuff to come. :yes:. I was sorta sensitive to various comments at 2 months as you know. Perhaps it's a time to take a breath and relax a bit on the recovery road. Ohmmmmmm. Sending hugs. :friends:

Happy 2nd Anniversary! Hope things have calmed down a little.
:flwrysmile:

@Fiona444 :hi: I am catching up on your thread, look at you go! Or rather, I should say look at you walk!!
You are doing so well.. congrats! I'm working more and more and need to be careful. In my field it's very easy to put others issues before my own and I've promised myself I won't do this to myself again! Glad you are down to three days. Our days off are priceless!
I love my Apple watch, too. There was one day about ten days ago where I walked over 16,000 steps ( at the shore) and I did ok, even walked in the sand quite a bit. It's so very nice to move past those limitations again..
but I'm sure not up to the mileage you've been logging on a regular basis. You are doing so well!

Best wishes with your husband, it's very hard to get blindsided by something like that. I am the queen of polyps and so far I've had nothing suspicious, just polyps. But now I am every 2 years for the colonoscopy! That is a bummer! Hopefully your husband will get the same news, just polyps caught in time and frequent check ups. :prayer:

Happy 2 months anniversary! may your hip son be the completely forgotten hip!!

P.S. Boo on your OS scaring you! I had a deep puncture from my kitty's claws literally in my second week post op. I contacted my OS team and they were so ho hum about it.. hahaha It's interesting how the surgeon view things so differently.

Hello ladies! Wow I cannot believe its 2 months already. I mostly forget I even had it done which is wonderful but need to keep in mind what surgeon says ....although not too much :heehee: Thank you for all your comments they are lovely and do really help with my mindset

I am still quite drained with all the recent stuff with hubby and have had another issue myself. You may remember just before op I hurt my eye and managed to get a hole in my cornea. Well the upshot of that is that my contact lenses that I have worn for 40+ years are no longer an option as they are uncomfortable now and my eyes dry up. This is a huge blow as my vision is very poor (+10) and need very strong glasses and even so do not get great vision with them. I cannot reconcile myself with wearing glasses for the rest of my life so am looking into lens implants as eyesight too poor for laser. I have an appt with surgeon on 24/10. I am able to drive with my glasses but not comfortable and would not be happy attempting to drive at night. It has all been so traumatic along with everything else. But feel better that at least I have a plan. When I put a hole in my cornea I was getting blurred vision and my optician wanted to refer me to a hospital as they suspected a condition called keratacona which is thinning of the cornea so I have a hospital appt to rule that out on 24/09. Praying that is not the case as that would rule out lens implants. However I have had no blurred vision since cornea healed so hoping that was just a blip. All in all 2019 has been a bit tough in one way or another.

@CricketHip I am sorry that you also have polyps. Colonoscopys are not fun but a necessary evil. So happy that yours have not shown anything untoward and that also gives me great comfort for hubby. Interesting also about the cat scratch! Hoping my surgeon is just a worry wart !

This ageing lark is not for the feint hearted.

@Fiona444 :hi: hoo boy, when it rains, it pours! I'm sorry to read about your eye problems and can really relate to the strong prescription, I was like that too. Luckily, over 20 years ago I had the laser surgery to improve my vision. But now, in the last several years I have struggled with my retinas. So far all is well, but it is a big worry. hugs!

Re: Polyps.. when my Dr suggested re checks every 2 years? I whined a bit and he gave me the analogy of
"when you have a weedy yard, it takes more work" :yikes: :rotfl:

Oh, rats, @Fiona444 I am so sorry to read about the latest problem with your eyes. I was a contact lens wearer for years (in glasses since a little girl), but really dry eyes put an end to that and I was back in glasses again by my late 40's. At 50 I did get laser eye correction, PRK (because my corneas were too thin for Lasik), and for a brief period I enjoyed great vision until it all started going downhill again by my late 50's. I had cataract surgery in my early 60's so have reasonably good vision now but I can appreciate how frustrating it must be for you and I hope you get good news from your September 24 appointment. At least those hips of yours are doing well! Happy 2 month anniversary for your hip, and I hope despite the eye issues and worries about your husband, both understandable, that you are still feeling good about your fast recovery from hip replacement--you've really done fabulously in that respect. Hang in there, and have a great day.

Sweet Fiona, I'm sorry to hear of your latest concern regarding your eyes. Wishing you all the best on your two upcoming appointments, September and October. Hoping it all turns out for the best so you can confidently and happily move forward. Try not to worry, easier said than done, but hopefully all of these issues will work out favorably and soon be forgotten.
Hugs to you :console2:
@Fiona444

Oh no another thing. So sorry you will be having another surgery. Just what you needed with all the other stuff: your hubby, returning to work, the hip replacement and now this. Hoping it isn't keratacona too so you can get the implants and see better. When it rains it certainly pours. Thinking of you.

@Fiona444 so sorry about the addition of eye problems, hoping surgery is an option and that fixes you up.

At this point don't worry too much about the polyps with hubby. I, like @CricketHip am a polyp factory and was having colonoscopies every year, finally got out to every five minutes and years. Just something some of us seem prone to.

Feeling a lot more positive today. I have managed work OK with wearing my glasses which is a huge relief. Hoping that continues.
@CricketHip I am so sorry you are going through retina issues. How does that manifest itself? Does it affect your vision? Love the weedy garden analogy. So very true!

Wow! @Barbaraj your eyes have been through the mill too! How come your corneas were so thin? I guess I am lucky I was able to wear contact lenses from age 16 to 56 with little issue until recently. I cant have laser as my prescription is too strong. Hubs had his cataracts done a few months ago and he is delighted. I am seeing the same surgeon who did his and hoping I get similar results.

@Elf1 a polyp factory made me laugh! I have been doing some reading up on it and am understanding it is very common so that is comforting. So sorry you have to have colonoscopies so frequently though.

Yes, the hip. Well that is amazing really. I can get my tights on and wear high heels with no ill effects at all. And this is weird but I was late for a meeting and I found myself running! Didnt even think. When it registered I stopped dead in my tracks. People must have thought I was mad :heehee: I am truly truly grateful for that. I have my final physio session tomorrow and then all done for a year.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom