THR Review after 1 year - is it necessary?

I agree @Fiona444. If I hadn't found this site before my first rodeo it would have been a nightmare in the dark. :scare:

I learned so much beforehand that put the major worry and anxiety away. I had confidence going into recovery knowing "I got this" instead of "It's got me". I've told doctors, nurses, people having joint issues. Only ones that response are those having joint issues at this time. We keep spreading the word and it will be heard!

Well, I am not really jealous as much as I'm wistful, @Fiona444. It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood and it would be so pleasant to get out there for a walk but for the fact I simply can't do it right now. I know I'll be able to sooner or later, so trying to be patient, but as with so many hip recovery folks, patience is not a huge part of my make-up. For now, house windows are open to bring in a bit of sunshine and fresh air, and this will have to suffice for now. Hope your walk doesn't cause any problems.

Last edited:
You will get there, my hoppy pal!:yes:
Slow and steady...you've got this. :friends:

Today's physio appointment and nurse for dressing change went very well.

The nurse needed to remove an internal stitch with the tail sticking out and pulled it but I felt absolutely nothing which was great as I was worried about that. Bum must still be numb. Hubs was there and said she gave it quite a tug.

Next was physio and she asked me what my goals were and what I wanted to achieve. I told her that I want to get back to walking 10+ miles and yoga and horse riding if I felt like it. She said all that was doable and now I needed to start building up my muscles to get to where I want to be. She did some tests on my current muscle strength and flexibility and then gave me some exercises to support that.

I must say after doing the exercises I felt so much looser and more comfortable. I also felt much more confident on the movements I can do now. I think I have been so tense and careful not to jar or move out of my comfort zone that I have got even stiffer than I might have done.

I am going to try the exercises and go back in 3 weeks to see where I am. She also gave me tips on walking and using the crutch i.e. to not lean on the crutch but rather just keep it for stability. That worked quite well until I was tiring on my way back from my walk.

My scar is now dressed in a waterproof dressing for 48 hours and then open to the world. It looks good with minimal swelling. I would upload a pic if I knew how :heehee:

Well done @Fiona444 on a good visit! All going well!
Isn't it strange how we all have such different experiences in this recovery, even in the same country?
I think that your physio sounds very useful and I am sure I would have benefited from something similar.
My dressing was removed on day 2 and I had a shower then too, in hospital. Another difference!
The end result is what matters of course, but I would never have known about all these variations without this forum.

members pic.jpg

Sorry guys for the massive bum!!! That is my scar in all its glory 2 weeks post op! I still have a dressing on for 48 hours as I had to have an internal stitch removed. The rest are soluble. As you can see it goes across my hip rather than down. I hope no one is put off their meal :yikes:

@Fiona444 glad your appt and physio went well. Scar looks to be healing well. Glad the physio helped loosen you up. I think that's one of my biggest complaints as well.

@Fiona444
Your scar really is different. Mine is like a boomerang shaped, posterior. And is yours called posterior, or bilateral?
Why are all these OS's so different. My mom had a big incision like mine back when she was 76, and at 94 she has a little 4inch scar and it was mini posterior.
It's all interesting to me incase I need my other hip done some day. I had a different surgeon than my mom and her OS did both her hips and still different?

:hi:We make big strides with all the baby steps.
As far as the scars...I have inserted parentheses on the fronts. Slightly indented. :unsure:
One is lighter than the other...I wear mine with pride. I wear a little skirted bathing suit instead of briefs, but I would take these scars over a life of limping and pain any day.:yes:

You will get there. :ok:

OMG OMG today I walked up the stairs normally. The first step I did it unconsciously and then realised I had done it so was a bit shocked. I thought I would try a few more and continued on and got to the top. Another thing I have noticed is that I was very uncomfortable in the morning and over night needing ice packs and pain relief in the morning etc. After being up and about for around an hour with my crutch it loosened up and I was able to do my exercises which have made it even looser. I have been walking round the house with very little limp. I do think the exercises are really helping

@Mojo333 what is inserted parenthesis? I really am not worried about my scar now. It is a war wound and it shows I have lived and am conquering a challenge :) I agree, scars over pain any day!

Just a way to describe my scars...

Attachments

• rps20171021_132121.jpg
    rps20171021_132121.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 149

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker