THR Review after 1 year - is it necessary?

I have no idea why but they started halving my meds so have had another challenging day. I told them tonight that it wasn’t helping and a new nurse has sorted me out with proper doses. Feel better again. No idea why they would do that

They are trying to wean you off your meds far too early. Well done for demanding the right dose. Be sure your prescription leaving the hospital is for the right dose.

Even the morphine didnt help until i got a load on board. Was better with paracetamol. They took me off it this morn and gave me 2 codeine and 2 para which was good then later went down to 1 and then later 1 nefopam when the proper dose is 2 at a time. Was in tears a bit. New nurse has got me back on track

Sheesh! You're only one day post op and they're trying to wean you? That's awful, you poor dear.
Thankfully you're back on track, I sure hope you can get some satisfying sleep this evening.
Hugs and wishes for your comfort.
@Fiona444

We are back on track now. Full dose of codeine and a can have nefopam in the night if i want with again full dose . Never heard of nefopam has anyone else had it?

Whatever it is, take it! I had oramorph (?) Every 12 hours for 2 days and it was amazing. They switched me to codeine day 3 and for discharge for 10 days. Plus paracetamol of course. Keep the pain monkey away and you'll be cruising!! Make friends with that nurse who knows meds. :loveshwr:

Glad to hear it sounds like the nurse has you back on track for meds. Not really sure what some of the people at these hospitals think they're doing. All this computer technology but nobody is either entering the info or the rest of them don't read it.

My hubby got to where he was telling people that the inmates were running the asylum!.
:rotfl:

I don’t think post surgery pain management is done very well in the United States anymore. What I was told after surgery was Tylenol should be enough. I disagreed and got 5 mg of oxy every 4 hours but only if I asked for it. I’d like to not go through this with my next surgery.. sorry for the rant.

Oh god just woken up at 1.30 with horrible pain. They have brought me some nefopam. Is it normal for so much pain after?

I'm beginning to see many differences in which state you live in or what area or hospital you go to. So many different stories here in recovery. I was treated very well for pain especially having the spinal and spinal block which put me way ahead of recovery pain. Then the Norco. My first surgery, and the hospital I was in really kept me comfortable. It's a sad day when anyone has to suffer unnecessarily after major surgery.:what::boohoo:

So sorry you are having pain issues instead of just being happy to be on the recovery side. Hopefully, soon they will get it right so you can go home.

Home now and settling in my lovely comfy bed. They have given me 28 codeine tablets and 30 nefapam whuch i dont think is much considering the dose is 6 per day of each. When was everyone able to start reducing meds?

@Fiona444 Glad to see you home in your comfy bed. I think the first week it's a good idea not to reduce your meds, at least not to stop them completely. Everyone is different. I reduced my Norco from 10mg to 5mg every four hours when I got home, but it also worked for me. And I added Tylenol too though and took into consideration how much Tylenol was in the Norco so as not to take too much. After a week I stopped the Norco and took the maximum dose of Tylenol per day. I think we all play around with dosage, trying to reduce gradually, but if too much, you don't want to suffer when you don't have to. I stayed on Tylenol for 5 weeks and am just now gone 1 week without, but I won't hesitate to take it if I feel I need it here and there. I still get sore, I've been really stepping up my walking this 5th week and I sure feel it....

I was also given a similar amount of meds - in my case, tramadol and celecoxib. I stopped the celecoxib when they ran out, but it became clear that I wasn't going to cope with paracetamol alone, so I spoke to my GP. She immediately gave me a prescription for more Tramadol. I'm not sure if that was a mistake now, as I am struggling to come off them after 4 weeks. I could certainly manage without them now, but the withdrawal symptoms are awful. Maybe you could get a further prescription just in case and see how your pain levels are?
So glad to hear that you are home now and comfortable - the best place to be! You will start to see progress every day! :flwrysmile:

Hello :wave:
Happy to hear you're home and resting comfortably. It's disheartening to read of so many who struggle with the worry of rationing meds. It seems the last thing we should have to consider / stress about is how we're going to control the pain from this major surgery.
Wishing you peace and comfort.
@Fiona444

Is it normal for so much pain after?
I'm so sad you are still suffering :boohoo:, but yes there is sure to be some pretty hefty pain post THR. It surely depends on how much you were 'manhandled' during the op, how much work needed to be done to your bones and muscles, the approach, your surgeon's skill, your own pain threshold....could go on and on. AND the nursing staff! Luckily I experienced very little pain, not because it wasn't there, but because I didn't FEEL it because I was medicated regularly. They also alternated the times of my doses of the different meds, so I always had something circulating and the different meds all didn't 'lapse' at the same time. But even I sure knew it was time for my long acting oramorph about an hour before it was due! The pain monkey started to squeek! My super strong med was given 10pm and 10am, so it got me through the first 2 nights, with a top up of paracetamol around 4am. Pain in the middle of the night is very common. Most posters have mentioned needing to set an alarm to be sure they wake up to take a nightime dose of painkillers. (I was sleeping in 3-4 hour stints for the first week anyway, so took my night strong meds when I got up for a wee, which was several times a night). I truly hope you get your med cocktail fine tuned soon, and can start the recovery at home soon. Sending hugs. :console2:

I am definitely in less pain than i was but cannot say NO pain at all. Moving is doable but sore. My hubby has gone to my doctor (gp) to tell them i have only been discharged with limited meds and need more. They said that i call tomorrow to see how they were getting on with my request. Is it me or is the world plotting to make my recovery challenging

I have spent my day in bed which is luckily very comfy and i get up every so often for toilet and exercise. Tomorrow i will try and spend more time up

@linette333 i had tramadol when i broke my leg and it is difficult to leave behind. Have you spoken to your gp about weaning down? Or are you able to put a plan in place yourself?

I am going to take the maximum dose of meds for the next few days and see how i go

Did you all feel pain when you moved?

Did you all feel pain when you moved?
We're all different with pain and recovery but I certainly had pain when moving at 2 days post-op. Keep the ice going and try to keep resting for now. We always want to get up and move around but this early in recovery it's best to do as little as possible. With ice and pain meds, it will get better! :flwrysmile:

As others have said, pain is different for everyone. In the early days I would describe mine as stiffness rather than pain.
Interesting that you also had some issues in stopping the Tramadol. Did you seek help from your GP? I am now on 50 mg. ×3 per day , but as attempts to reduce it further have failed, I think I will have to. As she was adamant that it was non-addictive, I am not too hopeful. :chinstroke:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts