THR Review after 1 year - is it necessary?

Fiona444

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello all on this side!
After a nerve wracking morning i met with the surgeon who was lovely and suggested a spinal. Then the anaesthetist came to see me and said if he was having the op he would have a general! He said because i was so fit i would be unlikely to have any issues and he would load me up with pain relief before i came round. He wnt through the pros and cons of both and i was sold on the general. I was a bit concerned about an injection in my spine i must admit.

Anyway when i came round I couldn’t remember where i was and kept saying im not ready for my operation :rofsign:. And then the most excruciating pain kicked in. My leg was cramping continuously and it was awful. They bumped up the morphine to the max dosebut it was about an hour until it started to ease. Apparently they used a tourniquet and it must have been the release of blood to the muscle.

I was taken back to my room and my hubby was there and was quite concerned with my level of pain. I have a pump that i was using every 5 minutes and after about an hour the cramp lessened. I was very afraid to move. I saw the doctor who wrote me up for some additional meds if needed and told me to use the pump often. By the time hubby came back at 6pm i was much more comfy. I tried to reduce my pump for a couple of hours but then started more pain but not the cramping and couldn’t get comfy. By this time i had used the whole pump up. The lovely nurse came and ran a bottle of paracetamol through my drip and gave me another full pump which has made me much more comfortable.

They are doing obs every hour which is down from every half hour. Blood pressure is a little low but not bad. I am allowed to use a commode which i have used 3 times and they seem impressed with how i am managing which is good.

It is 2am but i have had some snoozes. All in all despite the initial pain i feel good :angel:

Oh i have no stockings but some nifty leg pumps that although noisy are quite soothing

Thank you @Cecropia. I wanted to get my pain under control before i posted so i was in a good frame of mind.

My surgeon confirmed that the hip was in a sorry state and needed removal which was reassuring as i have been so concerned that maybe i could get by without the thr

@Fiona444 Congratulations! Sorry for your pain but so happy for you that the big step is over. Hope you gett some more sleep.

@Fiona444 Very glad to see you on the other side, and even more glad that you have the reassurance of knowing you made the right decision. It sounds like you’ve turned the corner in terms of getting your pain managed, and it’s very encouraging that you’re managing to get mobile so capably. Much more good news than bad...hoping you can keep that pain firmly in the background and catch up on some rest.

Yay :yay: you did it! Welcome to Recovery :welome:
I'm sorry you had a bit of a rough start but thankfully it sounds like you're doing better.
I hope you're able to get some more rest before daylight. We'll be checking in on you tomorrow.:wink:
Wishing you comfort and sweet sleep. :yawn: :sleep:
Hugs

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Fiona444

Hi @Fiona444 ! So pleased to see you here! :loveshwr:
Not so pleased to hear about your pain, but hopefully you will now have that under control. It sounds as though they are being very attentive though. I hope you managed to get some sleep - not easy in hospital, I know. From today you can get on with healing!

Thank you all and Layla for the reading material
I am in a lot of pain and they have taken the pump away and now given me tablets i hope they kick in soon

Sorry you're having pain issues my hippie sister. I'm right there with you! Figured I'd check in with you as I'm not sleeping at the moment either. Hope they get your pain controlled and you get some more sleep.

Hi @Elf1 how are you feeling? I had little sleep last night and was posting on here at 2am . They have loaded me up with ibuprofen paracetamol and codeine which has really helped. They also offered nefopam but i dont know what that is so didnt take it. Will give it a go if i need it later. Is your pain well controlled?

:hi:
Getting that pain management cocktail right these early days can be a bit tricky. I hope they have you comfortable (as possible) now.
Thankfully, all temporary..
Healing hugs :console2:

@Fiona444 glad they have your pain managed. Like you haven't had much sleep. Of course someone is walking in here constantly. Pain is still an issue for the time being, specifically told Doc not to give me Oxy as doesn't do much for pain just woozy. They were saying last evening that I was doing great going to the bathroom and walking with Walker. They some people stay in bed day of surgery and next day a lot. That doesn't make sense. Hope you have a good day and get some naps in.

Im up and about now thankfully. Pain is much better and moving about well. Got the physio Nurse Ratchet coming this afternoon
Was hoping i could go home today but i dont think they will let me

I stayed in for 2 nights. Make the most of being looked after and having the chance to make sure that pain management is right.
Hope you survived Nurse Ratchet! :snork:
I was surprised how little the physio asked of me actually.
Lie/sit back and relax! :) :-) (:

One day at a time, @Fiona444, and sounds like things are getting sorted out. Isn't it nice to be able to get up and move, albeit slowly and cautiously? And no hip pain! It is all probably a bit of a blur at the moment, but I am sure that sense of unreality will fade and once you're home you'll be smiling and focused on recovery, and your fabulous bionic new hip! Congrats, chin up!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back