BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Fiona UK recovery<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Fiona444, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    So glad you saved the little hedgehog...my husband gets annoyed when i make him stop to get turtles out of the road.

Hope all keeps improving and that you have a nice day.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Oh, that little porcupine looked so tiny, @Fiona444! I hope he (or she) survives. I've never seen one "up close and personal" but how kind of you to take the time to do a little rescue. How are you feeling today? You said you were a bit sore after physio on Monday, but I hope by now any discomfort has eased up. And I am so with you about pre-surgical exercise. I feel very fortunate that I was able to do some exercise as I've read lots of postings from folks who've really been incapacitated and unable to do much at all before surgery. I guess this also means, if I were dispensing advice (and anyone was listening!) that I'd urge folks to do the surgery, especially with an osteoarthritis diagnosis, as soon as possible. Why wait until you can barely walk? My husband was good about encouraging me to get this second hip replacement because although this hip wasn't as bad as the first one, it was just going to get worse with time. It was never a question of whether, but simply when. But because I got it done sooner rather than later I was still able to be active and in reasonably good shape before surgery which, as we're both discovering, can make a significant difference during recovery. Still not "loving" this recovery but I will get through it and then I'll return to really getting back into fighting form. Have a great day!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  3. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@Fiona444 you're doing so well with recovery and still time to rescue hedgehogs! :yes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bickypeg

bickypeg graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Awww that's lovely @Fiona444 . Can't remember the last time I saw one - not even squashed on the road. One of Britain's favourite animals (Mrs Tiggywinkle) . One of my boys made a hedgehog box some years ago but it was never occupied. No porcupines over here though!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

Its so lovely to do something for another being :loveshwr:

Well all is good here other than sleeping and sweating! I just cannot sleep for longer than 4 hours and even that is broken but waking up sweating. I don't seem to even feel tired? What is that all about? I dread going to bed because I know it is going to be frazzled night. Is this normal?

I shouldn't really complain because I have had no other issues but seriously?

@bickypeg they have such adorable little faces dont they?

@Barbaraj why do you say you arent loving this recovery? By all accounts it is going really well? Or is it just the fact that it is monotonous, irritating and a downright nuisance :snork:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Well, @Fiona444, despite having--knock on wood--a fairly smooth and uneventful recovery, I am definitely NOT loving it for all the reasons you mentioned! I know I'm lucky to be doing so well, but that doesn't mean I can't grouse anyway. If your sleep is a problem, any possibility of napping during the day or are you an anti-napper? I was certainly not a napper before surgery, but that first week and a half it was a lifesaver for me, a late afternoon drifting which didn't impact my ability to get to sleep at night. Now, I am not napping and sleep is better, 6 or 7 hours straight which isn't ideal, but I'll take it. It is hard in the morning as I'm waking up much too early (I definitely do NOT want to be up at 5:30!) but once I'm awake and aware of how my back and hip are aching, I generally have to get up after that. Fortunately, as grumpy as I feel, a morning ice pack and latte definitely serve to brighten my mood.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

Hi @Barbaraj I was the queen napper. No longer sadly. Just doesnt come. I am awake at 4.30 and achey until I move. Once I have fed the dogs and got coffee I generally go back to bed to catch up on some TV but even so, it is not really normal when I have not got to sleep until midnight

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Fiona, I would try not to worry about sleep especially because you're not tired. Does watching tv or reading in bed help? Both seem to put me to sleep, but we're all different. I know you walk the dogs daily, but it's not too close to bedtime, is it? It does feel stressful to have difficulty falling asleep, but as long as you're not tired or sleeping during the day, you must be getting enough at this point in time.

Maybe the meds have messed with your hormones and that's why you're still having hot flashes?
    Hopefully that abates soon.

I think you're doing phenomenally well. Keep up the good work and enjoy the weekend!
    @Fiona444

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

Hi @Layla no I do not walk the dogs anywhere near bedtime. I tend to watch TV on my Ipad in bed before attempting to drop off. I drop off and then wake suddenly in a hot sweat. This happens multiple times through the night along with pee breaks. I did manage to have a little nap this afternoon but again the hots sweats woke me up. I think something must have messed with my hormones although the sweats are worse now than when I was having them before. I will just be patient and I am sure it will subside.

My surgeon has now pushed my supposed 6 week check forward so it will be an 8 week check by the time I see him. I suppose he is going on his holidays. Not worried really but it would have been nice to get some clarification earlier.

Have a lovely weekend all!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Layla

Hello and Happy Friday!
    I'm sure you've read sweating can be a side effect of certain types of medication, or after having surgery.
    For how long? Not sure. I suppose it could be a combo, or somehow your hormones are off a bit due
    to it all :shrug: Hopefully it eases soon, Fiona. You are only 5-6 weeks post op...so who knows? :what:
    Possibly your surgeon will offer some insight at your post op if it's still occurring then.

I hope you have a lovely weekend! :wave:
    @Fiona444

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Fiona444
    I really feel for you on the sleep issues.
    It was my longest lasting frustration after my surgery and I shan't depress you with the time period.
    I found that I just became a night stalker/walker...trying to be quiet and not to disturb others...just Annoying!:blackcloud:
    I had so much sleep disturbance prior to my surgery that it really bothered me that I couldn't catch up for quite some time.:sigh:

Keep the faith, friend, and don't let the postop blues catch hold. Prime time for this and cabin fever.
    All temporary! And will be a memory that is just part of your journey.
    Wishing you a happy restful day!:roseshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Interrupted sleep and sweats--sounds like menopausal symptoms to me--ugh, @Fiona444 But I think you just have to accept that perhaps medication is triggering these unfortunate side affects and that, with time, they will ease. Unfortunate that your 6 week check got moved up two weeks, but I guess doctors get to take vacations, too. I know it's easy to say, but try not to stress about this too much. You really are doing phenomenally well, considering you've only had surgery within the last two months. Hope you have a good weekend, get out there for a walk or two with your lovely pups. Exercise and fresh air are so good for all of us. Cheers!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

Hello all, thank you for your kind comments. I am not really too stressed about it but it is a nuisance. I think I would be more worried if I was back at work. Anyway today was a fantastic day. I got to put my own socks and shoes on and drive my car for the first time in 8 weeks (couldnt drive for a couple of weeks before op because of hole in my cornea) It felt wonderful. Getting the socks on requires a bit of creativity but I can do it so all is good! No waking up hubs to dress me any more :heehee:

• Like Like x 5
  14. Layla

Hello and Happy Saturday :)
    Good for you! Driving again feels so good...just because you can.

I read a post on the forum elsewhere today, wish I could remember where....it mentioned sweating after surgery and that it will regulate once your body returns to its normal rhythm. So I wouldn't stress either and you can always get reassurance from your surgeon at your post op, if it's even going on then.

Yahoo on dressing like a big girl! A wonderful accomplishment.
    I hated asking hubs to help with that, only because it made me feel old. Hey, will you help me pull up my undies, ugh! :sad:

Enjoy the evening!
    @Fiona444

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

Oh so it must be a thing then if others have reported it?
    Oh yes it is lovely to be fully independent! And today, the toilet seat is coming off! Whoop whoop!

Lovely 5 mile walk with the pooches this morning and some friends. I did not have to drag my hubs out of bed at 6.30 to take me to the start place. He has been such a star running me around to meet up with friends and chauffeuring the dogs around for me. I am extremely grateful.

Today, I got in and out of my car like a normal person and didnt have to lift my leg up. It was a real revelation about the difference this op has made for me. My friend also said my gait has improved since pre op as apparently on long walks I used to swing my bad leg out to the side to protect the hip.

Lots of positves this weekend and I am very grateful. I hope everyone is having an equally lovely weekend :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 3
  16. Calgal

Calgal senior

You are an amazing walker, fiona444! I topped 5000 steps yesterday and thought that was a big achievement! :dubious:
    You've got some lucky pooches. :dogwalk:

Have a great week and happy driving. :yes!:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

5000 steps is brilliant @Calgal ! Did it feel good?

I always believe we are fit for what we do, so for me as an avid walker pre op, its only natural that my body is accustomed to it and can bounce back easier. My goal is to walk 10 miles in one go before the year is out.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

OMG?!! You want to walk ten miles before the end of the year, @Fiona444? I am super impressed by that goal although I suspect it's well within reach for you. I cannot remember the last time I walked ten miles, ever! But unlike you, I am not a walker, a bit of a gadfly approach to the world of health and fitness. Your body is certainly cooperating with you these days, hurray for you--and here's to (gulp) ten miles by year's end. I will be watching from my comfy armchair with a glass of wine and an amazed look on my face!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Layla

:walking: Go Fiona!
    You're doing great. I'm happy for you :)
    I'll bet tossing that toilet riser aside makes you feel 5 yrs younger, heck...maybe even 10. It's as good as washing the grays out of your hair. Congrats on that, your 5 mi walk and driving again :driver: yay!
    Love your grateful heart. :loveshwr:
    Wishing you a lovely evening.
    @Fiona444

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@Fiona444 isn't it amazing the difference a few weeks make?! You're doing so well and it's awesome that you have a walking goal that you want to achieve by year's end and it looks like you're well on the way to accomplishing it. You're rocking this!
    :walking:

• Friendly Friendly x 1