BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Fiona UK recovery<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Fiona444, Jul 8, 2019.

1. bickypeg

bickypeg graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Fiona444 With me it came on very quickly it seemed but looking back I did sometimes feel when I was out and about that I was tired and I'd done too much, but still kept on going. What a silly I was. Usually when others were involved and I was pleased to show them how well I was doing. And I really thought more was better...But if you only have the dogs to impress you should be fine! Best of luck!

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

United States United States
    Hey, there, @Fiona444, I am thinking of you out there today with your pups and strolling along, getting stronger and flexible every day. I wasn't a big walker before surgery, but I don't have eager dogs who would miss a daily walk, so I generally got in my exercise through daily running around as well as trips to the gym. I really need to get back to doing more regular walking. Without pooches I think solitary walking would be a bit lonely, but maybe I could check with some neighbors who'd be up for it. You are lucky you've got nice parks nearby with lots of flat walking, I'm assuming. Hope you had a good weekend, and here we all go--another week in recovery land! Cheers!

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Wise woman you are! BoneSmart is an awesome resource. I was happy to find it. First, as a lurker, it helped me get up the courage to schedule my THR. I finally reached out on the eve of my surgery and the rest is history. We're happy you joined us here. Thanks for being a part of it all @Fiona444
    Hope your evening is sweet!

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  4. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Hi @Fiona444

As someone who was walking 3 or more miles a day and has tendonitis now as you know. This is how you know: :yikes: Sudden movement catches and get a sharp pain that doesn’t go away. Now I know!! I should have stopped everything and iced, stopped walking etc.

Those tendons are taken off old joint and glued, yes glued back on new artificial hip. When you call on them to move anywhere they get stretched. Gentle stretches, low impact walking all good. Pushing it and the slide back is rapid and sooooooo depressing. I’m back to where I was at 2 months. Be careful. Listen to your body. I was in pretty great shape prior to my fracture. Tendons and ligaments take 3 to 6 months to fully heal.

So, listen to your body and breath in that fresh air. Just be cautious.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. bickypeg

bickypeg graduate

Oh dear me. Poor @Fit4Family. It's not fair. But hells bells do they really!! Perhaps if we'd been given more information about what actually goes on during a hip replacement we'd have a better understanding of what not to do. Over here they only focus on avoiding dislocation afterwards which I gather is fairly rare. Overdoing it seems common, judging from Bonesmart.
    Sitting about and avoiding stairs and just doing light housework plus anti inflammatories seems to help me but it's so boring after briefly rejoining the human race...

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

Hello lovelies, I seem to have developed a case of the post op blues. No idea why but maybe could be lack of sleep and being on my own a bit much for my liking. I have started taking some supplements such as iron and a multi to see if that helps.

@Fit4Family I am so sorry about your tendinitis. I read your whole thread this morning and was horrified about how it came on. What a shocker for you. I didnt realise that they glue tendons to the joints :yikes:. All my walking is definitely low impact and slow but not doing much this week. Well not much by my standards.

@bickypeg I agree, recovery does get a bit boring. Later this week I am going to start working from home for a few hours each day. Hopefully that will help a bit. I, like you feel a bit isolated.

On the plus side we have booked a cottage for a few days away on 23/08. My restrictions will still be in force but it will be nice to look at a different area and different walls. The walking is very flat where we are going and it will be so nice to get away. I think the dogs need a holiday :rotfl:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

The dogs have decided:dogsniff:
    Glad you will have different scenery and a mood lifting get away.:)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bickypeg

bickypeg graduate

It's early days for you @Fiona444 and it probably doesn't help being told it's common. Get all the supplements and herbal teas you can and watch lots of comedies. And get outside as much as you can. I'm sure a change of scene will help and let's hope our decent weather continues for you.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  9. Calgal

Calgal senior

Good time to remind yourself that you're only 4-5 weeks out. Thats also when I hit my post-op blues! It's cabin fever. You're feeling better and doing more things, but still can't just do what you want. Still on restrictions, tiredness from erratic sleep, energy drain just from healing, on and on and on. It's just darn depressing. But this too will pass.

A holiday with the poochies and starting a bit of work for your brain should do the trick! Hang in there - you're doing fantastic at such an early stage. :console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. linette333

linette333 senior

All normal,@Fiona444 . As soon as we find ourselves getting around a little , we want to rush to do more and more. Then when we realise that we can't yet and that we still have a way to go, that's when the depression slides in. Your break away is just what you need - start some planning and looking forward to it!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Amen, @Fiona444, it is "one of those days" for me, too. Feeling grouchy and not sure why, just post op blues which do, I think, hit more frequently as recovery goes along and our impatience really starts to ratchet up. I think it's great you've scheduled a holiday away, something definitely to look forward to and maybe a mood booster for you. It's hard being on your own so much, and lack of sleep is definitely a killer (although I got 8+ hours last night and still feeling grumpy this morning). As we really don't have a choice here, I think we just need to suck it up, summon up our patience and just keep moving ahead. And agree with others--get outside today, and hoping the fresh air and sunshine might help to boost your mood a bit. Hang in there!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Layla

:hi: @Fiona444
    Sorry to read you're feeling blue. I'll bet beginning to work from home later this week will serve as a welcome distraction. And looking forward to your holiday, which isn't far away, must lift your spirits also. A change of scenery and routine usually refreshes us all. Hang in there, you're doing really well overall.
    I hope you have a lovely evening!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

Sorry you're down in the dumps, hopefully the working at home and the nice little trip away will take care of that. It's really tough, we want to be back to normal and quit having to rely on others to do whatever it is we want to do. My husband and I were joking about my wild life and my big trips to PT and the grocery store are the highlights of my week. Could be worse so I'll take it for now.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

Thanks so much ladies. I stayed off the internet yesterday as I felt I was being an ungrateful wretch and really have no reason to feel down. I took my doggies out for a walk and then spent a few hours watching Downton Abbey AGAIN. Loving it. I also went in to the office to see everyone and pick up a laptop. It was wonderful to see them all again and I got a lovely welcome and everyone was amazed at how well I was walking and no crutches. They were going to play a joke on me by putting a note on the lift to say it was out of order, however the joke would be on them as I walked up the two flights of stairs with no problem at all :spin:

Today my groomer is picking me and the hairier of my two dogs up to go for a clip and a bath. It will be nice to be out for the morning and this afternoon I will do a couple of hours work. Feeling better I think and will be happy to be busier again

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Mojo333

Wonderful to hear.
    Isn't it just great!?
    :egypdance:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

Happy 1 Month Anniversary @Fiona444! Who would have thought we'd be where we are today last month at this time!
    :loveshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Mojo333

:wowspring:really?
    One month already.
    Seems like a nanosecond for me and:bored: FOREVER sometimes for you!

Hugs...:roseshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Layla

Happy One Month Anniversary!
    I hope it was a great one. Thankfully you're feeling in a better mood. :)
    Wishing you a great weekend as you continue the journey. :walking:
    @Fiona444

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Fiona444 Ah shucks, the post op blues have arrived! I've struggled a bit, too. We met some friends for dinner tonight and that helped a lot. Except I hate having the cane in tow. But I was out and had a delicious meal with jumbo shrimp and linguini! I really do need to rein in my appetite. But not tonight!
    take care, each day is easier.. :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

I cannot really believe it is a month ago that all the drama happened! As I walk my dogs through the village, neighbours who I dont even really know are commenting on how well I am doing and it does feel so good. I also feel that now I would be in a better position to advise any would be hippies to give it a go :heehee:

@CricketHip I am sorry you are going through the POBs too but glad it has been alleviated somewhat by some yummy grub! Mine feels better when I am busy. I also wonder if stopping the codeine had something to do with it? I took it for 3 weeks and 4 days which is quite a long time to take an opiate. So maybe a bit of withdrawal there?

• Like Like x 2