Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Fingers crossed May 29th....

knitwit

Country
United States United States
I am so happy I have found this site.
I live in NY and have had my surgery delayed 2 x (3rd if you count January when I was told I had to wait another 3 months because I had a cortisone shot). I'm now scheduled for May 29th. I'm praying it does not get delayed again, but it may.

I'm not sure this is the correct forum, but here goes:
Has anyone experienced burning pain in their knees and lower legs? I'm experience hip and groin pain which I can deal with but the burning pain is driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance!

Hip4life

senior
Country
Welcome and so glad you found us. A moderator will be along soon to get you officially and completely set up. What you’re describing sounds fairly normal pre-op especially as more time elapses. There is a wide spectrum of issues that people experience with bad hips due to what the body is dealing with anatomically. I had pain and cramps running done my legs and into my feet. Basically, most of us are/were pretty miserable. I’m keeping my fingers crossed with you. I’m sure you’re ready to be done with this.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@knitwit Welcome to BoneSmart! Which hip are you having replaced. We will put the information in your signature for you.

Fingers crossed you can get this behind you. NY has certainly had a rough time.

The pain you are having is all a part of the pre-op journey. Not fun at all. Are you using a cane or crutch to take the weight off that sore hip?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @knitwit - and :welome:

Here are some articles to help you prepare for your surgery:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

OP
OP
K

knitwit

Country
Thanks.
It's my right hip. I have been using a cane periodically but nopt sure it has helped. I feel very cumbersome. Guess I should start practicing!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @knitwit :wave: I remember having quite a bit of knee and foot pain while waiting for my THR.. it was annoying and painful. I remember some of the burning pain, too. Especially into the foot. I'm sorry you are feeling that, too.
The best trick that helped me was to use ice on my hip and a heating pad on my feet.

I hope May 29th is your magic date!

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @knitwit and welcome to bonesmart. It is wonderful that you have a probable date for your surgery. I also live in NY. I am in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate NY. I had pain in groin with my hips but also extending down to the knee and my knee has been replaced so I knew it was not the knee joint itself. The pain, tightness etc extended often down my leg to the ankle. I think we tend to walk strangely unconsciously when in pain. I used a cane pre surgery longer than post surgery as I had a 6m wait for my surgery since my surgeon is very busy. The cane does not make the pain go away but it does help support the hip and leg and rest of the body. I also realized that at home I would sort of drag my leg so that I would not have to lift it as it hurt more. I took Tylenol to help with some of the pain. It did not make it go away but I think it helped a little.

Please explore the site for lots of information as to how to prepare for surgery and recovery. Ask anything that pops into your head and you will get some answers and ideas.

cstinchcomb

Country
I had weird nerve pain with my first (Left) hip. It was down near the knee on the inside, knots and tingling. I worried that it couldn't be my hip but it was completely gone right after surgery -- one of the first things I noticed the first time I stood up next to the bed. No pain medications pre-surgery had any effect whatsoever on that particular pain; I was and am so happy it just disappeared with the replacement and hope that, of course, yours does too. All the best with your date of the 29th; just got mine confirmed to May 26.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello and Happy Friday @knitwit
Congrats on the surgery date. Fingers crossed its not canceled.
Only three weeks to go now, so wishing you comfort as you await your big day.
Have a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:

OP
OP
K

knitwit

Country
I am waiting for hip replacement surgery and getting my helpful hip tools ready.
Question: I have a very high bed. I don't think I would be able to navigate after surgery.
Does anyone have a suggestion? Renting a hospital bed? Sleeping in recliner?
Interested in hearing experiences with sleep situation.

thanks!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@knitwit You will notice I moved your latest post to your thread. This is so we won't derail another members thread with your questions. You have some very good queries.
I have a very high bed.
Yes, this could be a problem just post op. Do you have a recliner? Many of our members spend the first weeks sleeping in their recliners. Sleep can be very illusive just post op.

Here's a thread from our Library on sleep issues: Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Hip4life

senior
Country
My bed is fairly high due to deep box spring and mattress. It was challenging but doable the first few days only because of the “log leg” everyone talks about. My husband helped lift it then I learned how to lift it myself with the gait belt I brought home from hospital. That maneuver might be able to be added to your PT/OT routine before you leave your facility (since you can raise the bed to that same height) or you could find a belt or similar item and practice now. Using the recliner for the first few days/nights is also a good idea. It’s going to hurt some getting into bed but that’s where I was the most comfortable trying to sleep once I got in. My two cents worth. :)

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
My bed is quite high and I have a platform that my husband built for everyday to get in our bed. My other bed that I call my recovery bed is a twin that is high also but does not require a step to get into but I have a trick. Saying this I stayed in the recliner for the first couple of weeks downstairs just because it was easier for me and I could wander around at night and watch TV if I could not sleep without disturbing my husband. To get into the twin bed, I would sit on the edge and lay down with my legs down and then lift my leg into the bed as I scootched back some. Give it a try before surgery and see if anything works for you. I could have done the platform to our K size bed but I did not want to disturb my husband as my sleep was sporadic.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Friday!
I surprised myself and slept comfortably in a recliner for the first three weeks at which point I decided it was time to go back to the bed. Back sleeping has never been my fave but I stuffed soft pillows in the side of the recliner, on my non op side, and felt like I imagine a baby feels being swaddled. I actually slept well in two blocks of either 3-4 hrs with a bathroom break in the middle and then I’d drift off again quickly. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Have a nice weekend!
@knitwit

OP
OP
K

knitwit

Country
Thanks everyone..I so appreciate the support and great advice!

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Wanted to send you wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery with great pain control. I hope to see you on the sunny side (recovery). Try to have a restful night as your shiny new hip awaits.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nancan
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom