BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Finding surgeon who will do my knee replacements

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by bigsby, Jan 7, 2018.

1. bigsby

bigsby junior member

Ireland Ireland
    Last year I tried to find a surgeon who would do my knee replacements although I am very overweight. I had some good advice and one or two names came up but they were not interested in me because I was heavy.

At that time I was 19st 2lbs, now I am 18stone. My local surgeon won't consider me until I am 16st 7lbs. I will have to pay privately. I live in Southern Ireland.

My pain is getting worse and worse and I have terrible groin pain as well now. I can't stand this much longer. I MUST get them done soon. I can hardly walk now.

Does anyone please know a good surgeon who will operate on an obese person and can give me their details. I have rung loads up but nobody wants to know. There must be someone, somewhere, please.

I can't stop getting tearful as the pain is so bad. In the UK or Ireland for preference. I am sorry to moan a lot as I know many people are also in terrible pain.

I am 5ft 4" in height. I think I've had enough now.

2. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

United States United States
    Let me tag @Josephine for you as she is in the UK. If you can travel there for the surgery, I'm sure she can identify a couple of names for you to check out.

But, I must say I'm impressed with your weight loss!! Congratulations! It's not easy to lose weight when you have pain in your hips or knees. Frankly, it's cruel to make you wait and I hope you can find someone quickly.

3. bigsby

bigsby junior member

Ireland Ireland
    Thankyou Jamie. I saw them again today in Letterkenny, that's local, and there was no change in his attitude. I was so upset, I was unable to lie out for them to examine my knees. I think the Registrar wanted to put me on the waiting list but his boss, the consultant, would not. I do hope I can find a name of a surgeon.

4. ertuck

ertuck junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Bigsby you don't say how tall you are to get a rough idea of your weight to height ratio. But I will be honest in my opinion and that is I am 18 days out from right TKR and I am nearly 5 11 and weigh 16 stone 7lbs about 2 stone over weight. I wish I had been a lot lighter as I can hear all the crunching on my supposed good leg when I struggle to get out of bed or chair.

I feel my extra weight is possibly damaging the operated on knee besides obviously straining and crunching up my left knee. I stress this is only my version of what I have experienced. I reckon ideally I should have been in my prime for the op at 25 years old strong as an ox as I was then and about thirteen stone soaking wet.:heehee:

Lots of people on here have been far heavier than me and I struggle to get in and out of beds and chairs and can't imagine how much harder it must be for them..

I really do sympathise with you. I hope you can improve your lot Bigsby but overweight can be such an impediment or that is how I view it.

How are Ireland going to do in the 'Nations'?? I still miss Bod and Rog and my favourite Peter Stringer..

Hoping all goes well for you....
    Ertuck

5. PolarBear60

PolarBear60 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

ertuck, I doubt you're damaging your new knee. Extra weight does make it more difficult to be "nimble" and it's harder on your non-operative knee, but it will take quite a while before it will damage your new knee. I was about 20 stone for both my TKRs (Assuming I made the correct conversion from 280 pounds). I'm grateful I have an OS who saw my medical need and not my weight. I'm 5'9", so I'm between both of you height-wise.

bigsby, there's a surgeon somewhere who will see your medical need. I hope you find him or her soon.

6. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

@bigsby how far are you prepared to travel? If you want to come to the UK, you will have to pay as by EUC law, you are only entitled to emergency treatment free.

7. bigsby

bigsby junior member

Ireland Ireland
    @Josephine Hello Jo, thankyou for replying. I am willing to come over to the UK,and I realise that I will have to pay. The thing that worries me is what state I would be in when I left hospital after the operation. I do not have any people in England now that I could stay with,and would I be able to walk? Usually nowadays we travel by plane and that maybe be a problem too. How mobile were you Jo after your ops? I just want some relief now, but both my knees are as bad as each other. I had x-rays today, not a pretty sight!

8. bigsby

bigsby junior member

Ireland Ireland
    @Josephine I have just read about your experiences during the two ops and recoveries. Made me realise in a big way what is involved. Quite scary really! You were very brave throughout and it must have helped a lot to be an orthopaedic nurse and be able to understand what was going on. It was definitely 'major surgery'. I hope you are feeling well now, you are doing a great job here on Bonesmart.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. ertuck

ertuck junior member

Further to my earlier posts I realise that lots of people have been heavier than me and still managed to get successfully through TKR so perhaps I should be taking my hat off to them despite realising that it must be a lot harder with the extra weight. Most of us gained this weight because of our duff knees resulting in inability to burn off calories.

P B 60 what a spot on conversion from pounds to stones ,well done ..
    and I agree with Bigsby what a fantastic and informative job Josephine and all the other people do on our behalf by sharing their experiences and helping to keep the site up and running..
    Ertuck...

10. Josephine

Perhaps I could suggest somewhere that you could get to easily like Liverpool perhaps? And you could maybe spend a couple of nights in a hotel before going home. That's what a lot of 'surgery tourists' do.

If you like, I could phone around a bit to see how things like this work for private patients. Would you be agreeable to me doing that?

11. bigsby

bigsby junior member

Ireland Ireland
    @Josephine
    Thankyou. I do not want to put you to a lot of trouble ,and expense, phoning people. I am only too willing to have your knowledge and expertise and advice and help. I have phoned surgeons in the irish Republic, or their secretaries, and have had no luck regarding my weight issue, so if you do know ANY surgeons in he UK that might do my ops I would kiss you on both cheeks. Lol. I can sort out rest or stay a few days somewhere after later on, just want to get on the road I feel like a zombie today, i have allergy problems and can only take 30/500mg co -codamol for pain relief and i had a few today. Would love to hear from you if you know or have heard any fatty-friendly doctors Are you allowed to let me know names?

12. Jamie

I'm glad you're going to accept Jo's help and that you're willing to travel to the UK. Jo has been known to work some miracles and I sure hope that's the case for you. Meanwhile, I'll be here in the USA rootin' for you!! Hang in there!!!

13. bigsby

bigsby junior member

Ireland Ireland
    @Jamie. Thanks Jamie for your good wishes. Both legs are hurting a lot but to complicate matters I have had Sciatica down the right side and hip for about 6-8 weeks now. Truly agony! Anyway , I am hoping that Josephine or any other member will come up with a few surgeons names for me, as I said " fatty friendly". Who knows I may end up in the States, I am sure i could find someone over there! Best wishes for the New Year from Ireland, and thanks for your support Jamie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Josephine is away this week, but I'm sure she'll get back to you when she returns.

15. Jamie

Not that we wouldn't love to see you in the USA, but I don't think you'll have to go that far. I'm pretty sure Jo can find you some surgeons to contact once she returns from her break from the forum.

16. bigsby

bigsby junior member

Ireland Ireland
    @Jamie Thanks, I hope she can help. No relief from probable sciatica yet! When I saw the local surgeon he asked me if I had any groin pain, at that time it was not so bad. I wonder if it is the way you walk with bad knees that causes low back troubles? I was just using one crutch then and my gait was very lopsided. I use two crutches now so maybe I will be evened up!

17. Jamie

Having bad hips or knees definitely can impact back alignment and create pain. That's one reason to get a bad joint replaced! The longer it goes, the more your potential for having more severe problems with your back. So you're wise to get this going. Using two crutches is a good idea.

18. Josephine

Don't worry - my telephone package gives me free local, national and internal calls, 24/7!!

So give me an idea where you'd like to travel to in the UK and I'll take it from there.

19. bigsby

bigsby junior member

Ireland Ireland
    @Josephine Hello Josephine, Thanks for your reply. I saw the GP today because of very bad pain and she has given me Tramadol SR, so here's hoping, seems a little easier tonight. I told her what the surgeon had said to me last time, re. pain relief and the TKRs, and she was not impressed, she could see how much pain I had.
    I am even less inclined now to end up under his knife! Torturer!

Today I weighed in at 18st.1lb and as I said I am a shorty at 5ft.4ins which makes my BMI 43.4. To my knowledge I have no heart problems etc.

I really don't have any idea where I would like it done, my first preference being a very good surgeon who knows his stuff. Possibly somewhere where I could go to rehab/stay for a week or so afterwards. I think from the Midlands up, not down south.

You were saying about your ex colleague in Sunderland. Do you think you could give me a rough idea of costs from these surgeons please?

Thank you Josephine, it helps to not feel alone,I am gradually reading all the stories and posts, some very brave people around, in the USA and over here. Best Wishes Margaret.

20. Josephine

That's a good enough parameter! I'll get to it! It might take me a day or two.