THR Finally

Thanks everybody, just been given the all clear to move about independently on crutches, the physios are going to have me trying the stairs later and all being well home not later than tomorrow

All normal!

To give you some more confidence regarding how great these procedures are - how understood by the medical profession (even though it is very special for us, the patients) ... my stay was overnight as Medicare requires this, otherwise, the doc said it was OK for out patient, same day surgery with release from hospital same day. They really have a good handle on hips.

We all recover differently, but 99.9% chance your new equipment is working perfectly, and your body is responding normally!

I did supine exercises starting the day after the surgery ... VERY light and easy exercises on the bed consisting of just moving leg left and right slowly for a few reps, then knee raises with foot flat on bed for a few reps ... i elevated and iced in between for an hour. Then, repeated in a couple of hours. Walked around house on crutches in between. Then elevated and iced, again!

Do you have a large silicon ice pack? I got two, one stays frozen that way.

:hi: @PaulSim. Welcome to this side of recovery! I understand not wanting to jinx things, and now here you are!
You sound like you're progressing right along. Best wishes in getting cleared to return home. There's no place like home!

@ForumUser @CricketHip Thanks for replys and the tips, yes I’ve got a gel ice pack might have to buy a spare insert so I can do the same. I’ve done the stairs now and that went well and the physios have discharged me so as soon as I get the all clear from the doc (I have a slightly fluctuating heart rate) then I might be on my way home. Yay

It’ll be great to be home!

I had two large gel packs and I’d use one for the recommended 40-50 minutes. Get up, walk to the fridge, and swap them out. That way I had lots of effective icing and also the recommended walk a bit every hour or so.

Happy Friday and safe travels home. :)
Let us know how the trip and getting settled in went once you're resting comfortably.
There's no place like home!
@PaulSim

Thanks @Layla, car journey wasn’t that bad apart from the getting in and out that wasn’t the most pleasant of experiences, not sure I’d like to do that again in a hurry :shocked: But it was all made up for by being sat in my own home in my own chair :yes!:. Now for some rest with the ice packs.

How was your first night home? Getting in and out of a car is the worst. Upside is not having to do it again for awhile now. Ice, elevate and pain control is all you need to be doing for now. Take care.

Hi @julesglass first night was a series of small victories and small defeats as I live alone, although I do have parents and my sister who are helping with shopping, cooking and such, the defeats included the raised toilet seat, which I think was based around a medieval torture device, getting into bed was also a no go as it’s too soft for me to get purchase on to push with my good leg back.
The victories included just being back in my own home, having an almost unbroken nights sleep and surprisingly finally working out a way using the medieval torture device that is the raised toilet seat (this might be too much information but I’m sure everyone has this at some point :loll:).
All in all I’m just taking each day as it comes both good and bad.

HOME:friends:
In control of when you feel you can be up, can get your meds, sink into mindless TV and let that trauma settle with the knowledge that the end result is life without hip pain:yes!:
Hope your chilling:ice:

Hi Paul,
It's good to read you made it safely home and had a good night's sleep.
Would sitting on a plastic garbage bag (on top of your bed) make it easier for you to swivel into the position you're comfortable in? May be worth a try...
I hope your day is a pleasant one! :SUNsmile:
@PaulSim

@Layla Definitely going to give that a try, thank you for the advice. Thanks everybody this forum has been an absolute godsend for advice from people who’ve been through it and are going through it :thankyou:

You're welcome! Not only do you find support here, but members often share handy advice. Stop back often and don't hesitate to ask anything, you'll usually always get some type of feedback.
@PaulSim

Afternoon @PaulSim. Yeah I bought one of those evil things before surgery and it didn't stay secure on toilet. Returned it and got a bedside commode that fit over the toilet beautifully. It has arms on it and height adjustments. I had difficulty getting to bathroom in time so it was handy to set close to where I was. The bed thing was too much for me the first 2 weeks so I camped in my recliner 24 hrs. I also live by myself so my sister in law stayed with me those early days, she slept in my bed. You have enough gel packs so there's always one ready? I had made 3 ice packs using rubbing alcohol and water and found they couldn't keep up so I made another with straight ice. You take care.

Hello @Mojo333, Thanks for asking I’m still finding everything a little slow going and the new hip all still feels a little new and weird, swelling is still quite extreme but I don’t have much if any pain. Skin clips come out tomorrow so another step on the road to recovery, not pushing anything at the moment just going with the flow.

Hi Paul,
Please ice all swollen areas if you're not already. It does help. Target 4X daily, at least, and ice for 40-60 minutes, no less each time you ice. Two weeks tomorrow, yay for staples out :yay: You're doing well! :yes:
Have a great Tuesday!
@PaulSim

Has anybody experienced intense rib pain through the use of crutches, I’m suffering on the same side as my hip replacement and wondered if others had had the same thing?

Hi Paulsim
I didnt but here is some info I think might be helpful.
Also I'm guessing you are using your crutch on your good side, right?
This Can be confusing...

Rib pain from crutches can be the result of a few different issues.

Either your crutches are sized incorrectly, which is forcing you to hunch over and strain your core far more than you need to, or you’re angling your crutches incorrectly.

Take a few steps with your crutches to determine which problem is causing your rib pain. Are you hunched over too far or are your crutch tops resting against your rib cage instead of your underarms? Perhaps both?

Fortunately, there is a simple solution to either scenario. Resize your crutches so that the tops are 1-2 inches below your armpit (when standing straight up) and the handgrips are level with your hips. If you’re angling your crutches wrong, simply position the crutch tips closer to your feet (about a foot away on either side).

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom