THR Finally

PaulSim

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well I’m finally back, I posted a few times last year that I was about to have a left THR but for a few things to delay it (MRSA and a DVT to be precise) I didn’t want to post too much in case I jinxed it but here I am sat up in bed 6 hours post op with a brand new hip.

Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if my turn would come round to be honest. I’m not feeling that bad either, I was nervous about the spinal ( they did have a good fettle trying to find the spot for that ) but I woke up after feeling surprisingly good. Now it’s time for some sleep and see what tomorrow brings.

@PaulSim welcome to the healing side, one of the mods or admins should be stopping by to leave you some good reading. Right now concentrate on rest, ice as much as possible, elevate and take meds as prescribed. If it's one of those situations where you have to ask for meds don't wait until pain is screaming, so much harder to catch up on that situation. Sleep is one of the best medicines right now.

So glad to hear nothing crazy came up to stop your replacement from happening this time! :yes!: I can only imagine how disappointed you must have been, and worried as well with the health scares you had! Even though my first week was rough, I had such sense of relief that the surgery was done, and recovery and a pain free life awaited! Taking @Elf1 advice will get you off on the right track!:flwrysmile:

Welcome to Recovery! :welome:
Just double checking that your surgery was today (September 11, 2019) and that it was your Right Hip.
Once you confirm, the info will be applied as your signature.

Please read the Recovery Guidelines below and stop back often. We look forward to following your journey!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hello Layla, no it was my Left hip I had replaced Sept 11th, my right hip hasn’t been scheduled yet, the consultant thinks I might get away with it for a little while yet.
The pain has started to kick in now and feels heavy but I suppose that’s only natural just several hours after the operation.

Hi Paul, Thanks for your response.
I'm confused though because your signature reflects you had your left hip replaced on April 16, 2019.
Wondering where we got that info?

Unless I hear back it will be changed to Left THR September 11, 2019.

I'm sorry the pain is ramping up. Let your care team know soon so they can adjust meds if they feel it's necessary. I'm assuming by heavy, you're meaning your leg feels heavy and we refer to that as Log Leg - your brain is telling your leg to move but the muscles and soft tissue have been so traumatized that there's no reaction. It will slowly ease with time. Also, ice often. If they're not supplying you with ice, request it. It helps with pain and swelling.
Wishing you comfort!
@PaulSim

The hospital cancelled the operation in April because of the DVT, they wouldn’t operate till at least six months after that, then because it has been going on so long since I was first referred for the surgery I then had to get referred again, it has been to put it mildly a bit of an adventure, new beginnings now though.
Thanks for the advice regarding the ice I’ll ask the nurses about it in the morning

Paul,

Congrats ... you will now spend a few days getting accustomed to the notion of being able to walk painlessly within a week or two ... when you first do this, you will be amazed!

What I did well:
- got off narcotics on day 2 by using 4g a day of tylenol
- elevated and iced several times a day for 45 min - 60 min each time
- walked house constantly
- very limited exercises, just the supine ones
- no pt ... no pt ... no pt

What i didn’t do well:
- I overdid it around day 7 by walking too much ... there is no hurry!

You’ll do fine ... marvel at what has just happened!

Is it normal to not be able to move your operated leg from side to side under your own power a day after the op it feels seized especially in the groin and inner thigh or am I being too ambitious early on.

Hey @PaulSim I am writing this from the hospital bed. I had mine replaced just a day before you. The pain is well managed... the X-rays are great but I still cannot do much with my operated leg, even though I noticed improvement since the surgery. I guess we would all want to be able to just thank the medical team and walk away like nothing happened but I also guess we need a lot of patience. According to my OS who visits me daily I am doing excellent and they will send me home today. I am looking forward to it and hope will be cautious and not too ambitious.
Wish you well:prayer:

The physios came round not long after I posted this and got me up on crutches for the first time it was a little rough but I’m sure it’ll get easier, I’ve been sat out of bed now for a few hours as well which makes you feel a bit better.
Hope your recovery goes well, I’ll keep track of your updates

Is it normal to not be able to move your operated leg from side to side under your own power a day after the op
I call this log leg. The brain sends a signal to your muscles but things are a bit "disconnected" post op. This will ease fairly quickly. For now don't push and use a belt or your hands to lift your leg if needed.

Thanks Jacey it’s just a bit disconcerting hopefully it’ll ease off soon and I can start moving forwards

Hello @PaulSim. Congrats on your new hip. You are just starting with a new hip and it is slow getting that leg to move when you tell it. For the first two weeks ice, pain under control and sleep are the best things. Ice often, take pain meds on schedule with rest and sleep. Following any restrictions your doctor gives is also key. I am so happy with my newest hip, finally done with pre op pain. Now I'm building back rom and strength. You will see improvements week by week. Take care and relax.

Hi @PaulSim :wave:
Just catching up.
The first two weeks don't count...:shrug:
Meds, ice, little sleep...power naps...trips to the restroom..is
All that is necessary and All Temporary.

You are going to do well and get your life back.:yes!:
Healing mojo coming your way.

Last edited:
Is it normal to not be able to move your operated leg from side to side under your own power a day after the op it feels seized especially in the groin and inner thigh or am I being too ambitious early on.

Yes, absolutely! The muscles have been traumatized and need repair time. Think of this lack of mobility as a protection system built in to body's healing mechanism. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get my leg to "obey" me. So much better now, 2 weeks post surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member