THR My 5 month post op

I am sure your sleep will improve and you can stop worrying about this aspect of your recovery because worry seems to occupy most of our post surgical time. Once I get comfortable with the pillow between my legs, I find I tend not to move at all until a necessary bathroom visit , which surprises me since I'm normally a toss and turner.

I hate looking at my 2 hip replacements. I looked for the first post op and then not again. I was sorry I saw how large the actual prosthetic is and worried how the heck it was going to fit it that space and through that tiny incision!!!!! It truly is a miracle but I feel "non-hippies" underestimate what you go through and how long it takes. As someone said above, it really is a life changing journey filled with ups and downs that you have to be there to appreciate That's why we're on bonesmart!

I understand also that seeing these foreign objects in our bodies is disconcerting...but I was reminded by a staff member that getting rid of our bad hips was akin to getting rid of a rotten tooth.
I bet looking at that would be just as stressful.
You will love what thos new hip does for getting back to a healthy life, dear @Gretelin
I hope you feel more confident now that some of the restrictions have been shed.
Wishing you sweet holidays:presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

Thank you for your input Ritabell and Mojo you guys encourage me a whole lot. It is a journey yps and downs and getting used to a new device inside your body. I cried when I saw the Xrays for the first time on Dec.18,2019 Wed.
I couldnt believe that was inside of me. I thought I was inside a dream and I need it to wake up, but reality hit me and is real is really inside me and I have to accept it and be happy that I can walk without the excruciating pain I was in before. Now, Im sleeping on the affected side with a pillow between my legs. Its still not comfortable is painful, so Im doing it not completely putting all my weight in that hip half way. I give thanks to God that wedge is long gone. No more Wedge for me, I was trapped and couldnt move in bed and Im a big tosser. I toss around in bed a lot.
Now, I have trained myself not to do it.
Well, my beautiful bone hippy family, Hsppy Hannukah, Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy Bless Neww Year 2020!!God Bless All my Hippy Friends from the Forum!!

Good to hear from you @Gretelin ! Sounds like you are progressing in how you sleep. It’s hard to imagine, that implant becomes part of us, but thank goodness there is such a thing, that gives us our mobility back. Merry, Merry with your family and friends!
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

Hi @Gretelin
I know that this is a strange new journey, but I have a matching pair and I just have to look at my xrays and know They Gave Me My Life Back!

Try to have confidence in that new hip...tenderness and the other niggles are bound to be there with the soft tissue that was disturbed.
But that hip is strong and unlike our other bad hips...ready to take you into the New Year with renewed hope and health!
Wishing you a very happy holiday...:carols:

Hello @Gretelin
I understand adjusting to the idea of a foreign object in place of your natural hip. I had my own little mourning period in regard to the transformation. But it is an opportunity for a second chance and a new beginning without the dreadful hip pain. Wishing you comfort as you continue your healing journey!
Merry Christmas!

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

Bonaventur, thank you and Merry Christmas to you too. My recovery is been slow. Im still using one forearm crutch. I get tiered when I walk a lot. Sleeping is s bit better but not 100%. I had to buy a wedge pillow to accomodate myself in bed. I didnt sleep yesterday. I tried to get as many naps that I can. Thank you Ritabell, VSlowLife,Mojo. Inlove your comments very positive and uplifting. Thanks agsin and I hooe your Christmas was an Amaxing one. Much Love, from your hippy Pal.Gretelin!!

Good to hear from you @Gretelin! I have heard slow and steady wins the race when it comes to hips. I hope your steady progress will mean a successful outcome.

You are smart to nap when you can. :sleep:This healing business:mcoffee: is slow work. Hope you had a happy holiday. You have much to look forward to in the new year with your new hip.

Hi, my friend.
Wondering if the wedge pillow is for more comfortable sleeping...or you are still anxious about restrictions?

I know this is unchartered territory, this recovery business...but once some confidence comes back...you are going to be able to get strong and healthy this new year!!

yes, definitely Mojo Im getting some confidence and Im sleeping about 3 hours per night. Im still tossing in bed. I have a pillow between my legs. It feels so much better. Thanks so much for responding.

I'm glad you are more comfortable trying to get your sleep in.
I can truly sympathize as an all-night-in the-bed sleep was few and far between for several months for me.
I finally had to resign myself to power napping in my recliner to keep my sanity.
This too shall pass @Gretelin
I hope you are walking about more and hope you have a good weekend. :flwrysmile:

Hey Gretelin, stopping by to say :hi: and wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary! How are you doing? We'd love to hear about your progress if you have a minute next time you're on the forum.
Happy Sunday...I hope you have a nice week! :)
@Gretelin

Hello. Layla and my beautiful bone family.
Today is my 2 month Anniversary and Im still having a little issue sleeping at night. I feel better of course no pain. Only when Im sitting for long then I get up slowly and I get this pain on my knee from the surgical leg. Im still do therapy . I use to go 3x a week but is getting to expensive. So last week I only went 2x. The days that I dont go I do therapy at home, which is fine. I do the same as they do at the clinic. Thank you so much for checking on me, that's nice when someone cares for you. Happy New Year to All you beautiful Bone People.

Gretelin, if it was me, I'd stop all of the therapy and exercises...for now.
Please consider giving yourself a couple weeks off and see if you notice the pain easing, or disappearing all together. You can always go back and start up the exercising again.

Ice the areas of pain / discomfort several times per day for 45-60 mins, no less. It's worth a try, don't you think? What do you have to lose, but pain.

Many suffer from a sore, aching, bruised, swollen knee post op. Depending upon the approach you surgeon uses, the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process and it can take awhile for it to recover.

Try Magnesium for sleep, if you're still struggling with that. It's worth a try...

Magnesium Glycinate supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

@Gretelin

Its funny Layla I started this morning without knowing to take Magnesium with collagen.Thank you.
Image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gretelin, sweetie, you're taking Collagen with Magnesium.
(Ana Maria Lajustica Collagen with Magnesium)

It appears the dosage is 6-9 tablets per day split between breakfast and dinner.

If you're taking 6 tabs, you're getting 185 mg of Magnesium per day
If you're taking 9 tabs, you're getting 278 mg of Magnesium per day.

The recommended daily dose of Magensium is 420 mg per day and there's not enough Magnesium in the supplement you're taking making it doubtful you'll reap the full benefits. By all means give it a few weeks and see if it works and if it doesn't, research increasing your dosage temporarily so you hopefully get some sleep.
@Gretelin

@Layla I take 3 tsp a dsy which is equivalent to 420mg/ day. So I think is the adequate dose.

Good, I hope it helps you catch some Z's :yawn: :sleep:
Have a great week, Gretelin! :)
@Gretelin

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads