• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Finally Surgery Done

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:hi: @Gretelin
I hope you slept well last night and things are looking brighter today. :SUNsmile:

It was the red-head, Emory, who won the guy's heart in the end.
Cute movie, I watch a lot of them during the holidays, but can't say I like all of them. However, this makes the list of the ones I like.

Happy Three Week Anniversary! Hope you have a lovely day :)

OP
OP
G

Gretelin

Country
Happy Thanksgiving to my beautiful Bone Family. Much Love, Gretelin.
Dont eat top much remember we have to take care of our weight because that new hip has to last us a long time!!!!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Thanksgiving to you too my hippy friend.
Hopefully you are feeling better...
Splurge tomorrow...you can work it off later as that new hip will have you back to active and happy soon.
Big healing hugsxxxx

OP
OP
G

Gretelin

Country
Thank you Layls and Mojo and yes I felt so good today I went to do my hair and I shave my legs. Well, I shave only one the right one. My husband will help me shave the Hippi Left Leg tomorrow
Have a goodnite everyone sleep tight!!
Much Love, from Gretelin

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Thanksgiving @Gretelin , So happy for you, you are so sweet.. I agree with Mojo.. enjoy the feast and then get back on track. Soon you will be walking and burning calories..
Have a good night.

OP
OP
G

Gretelin

Country
Good Morning my beautiful bone people. I discover taking 2 gummies of zzzzquil melatonin, chamomile and lavender really helped me to sleep. I can now say for the first time in 26 days after surgery I was able to sleep. I need some suggestions when I walk I noticed that Im leaning to the right side good leg. My husband sometimes notices it and telks ne to straighten up, buts its not easy.Thank you

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Good morning Gretelin, many of us walked with a tilt or leaning in the beginning. The general advice is to remain with a cane or two canes, crutch(s) or walker until there is no limp or discrepancy in your gait.
With whatever support you choose you can then concentrate on standing in a more balanced way and practice a steady heel toe gait. Meaning that you will step forward with one foot onto the heel, then roll forward, shifting your weight to your toes as you follow through with that step, repeat and alternating with both feet, of course.. :wink:
I found, when tired I would drop back into bad habits of leaning to one side even into my second month but it became fewer and further between and I'm sure you will find the same.
It's nice to have other, such as your husband to help remind you to focus on your posture, as long as it doesn't get annoying. I found it very helpful.

Have a lovely Sunday! Where I live we are to have a dreary, cold wintery mix so I'm planning a fire in the fireplace and decorating the Christmas tree. Maybe Ill watch one of those Hallmark Christmas movies.. :roseshwr:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: @Gretelin
Just popping by to see how you were doing and hoping you find things are leveling off some and you are able to move about easier.
Continued healing vibes coming your way :loveshwr:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey Gretelin :wave:
I hope you're having a good week so far. Have faith that your gait will even out with time. Many of us were leaning this way, or that way, having a foot turn inward, or outward (outward, my experience) but with the help of an assistive device, until you're no longer limping, and in practicing heel-toe walking, you will get there. I found I really had to concentrate on the heel-toe gait, being mindful of it each time I was walking as it doesn't come natural for the great majority of us. I also found I got sloppy if I was on my feet for an extended period of time, or tired. It's still early days, lots of time and room for improvement! :)

Have a wonderful day and a great rest of the week!
@Gretelin

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Wishing you a peaceful end to the week. I hope all is well and look forward to hearing from you soon. Until then...all the best to you!
@Gretelin

OP
OP
G

Gretelin

Country
Yes!! Hippyty is today !!yes Layla I also have the tendency to put foot inward. Thank you so much for your positive advice. im still having trouble sleeping. Is also painful
I dont know if it is because is cold. The temperature here in Miami is 50s. Much Love, Gretelin!!

OP
OP
G

Gretelin

Country
Which is the best cane? I heard Hurry cane is the best. Its very expensive, but the only thing thats weird is that its foldable. What do you suggest?

leejaa

supremo
Country
I have different canes but use the Hurrycane almost exclusively. I never really fold it and it has great support. Also the base is more secure since it is a bit bigger. I used it before surgery and am using it now post op. The funniest part was that my husband bought it for me back in 2013 when my knees were going and I was mad because it looked like an old lady cane. I soon came to appreciate its uses and forgot its looks. He still reminds me that I did not want it originally but have used it on and off when needed since for the knees and then the hips.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
My OS recommends walking or hiking sticks which work real well. I use a stick and I have a simple cane that does come apart for storage. As far as walking properly people may laugh at it but the greatest walking trainer is a shopping cart. It gives you all of the support and security of a walker and you can concentrate on posture and gait. Park at the furthest cart corral from the store that has a cart, take that cart and walk the parking lot and through the store. The cart works as protection also as no one will bump into you and no one will even notice how slow you walk. I don't bring my cane as I'll walk the cart back to the car and place it in the corral next to my car.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
What I also like about Eman's suggestion is that it gets you out amongst the living again which I found to be therapeutic after feeling couped up early on. Exchanging smiles and conversation with perfect strangers is uplifting in my opinion. So pencil in some Cart Walking, Stranger Talking time when you're needing some exercise and a boost in mood. It works! :wink:

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
@Gretelin So sorry to hear you are having pain when you sleep. I am sure some one with post surgical experience will have suggestions for you. :sleeep:

I have a nice wood cane that was custom cut to the correct height from my local home care medical store. That may be another option.

Also I bought some trekking poles with extra rubber tips for walking on a side walk, road, or asphalt driveway and my yard. They usually come with a sharp type tip for trail walking. They feel great even before surgery.
If you search on Bonesmart for trekking poles you will find some good suggestions, if you are so inclined.

OP
OP
G

Gretelin

Country
Thank you guys, you are such a wonderful part of my family. I appreciate e ery single one of your comments. Eman85 thanks for the cart suggestion
Thank you Layla, leeja and VSlowLife. I love you all and stay Hippi Safe!! My Bone Smart Family!!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Gretelin :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
Thanks for joining us! We love having you here.
Stick with us for awhile longer. We like following your progress.
Have a great week!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
These are early days my friend, and there is lots of resting, icing, and general slogging about.
So just remember it is all temporary and going to get easier and better!
Big healing hugs!!!!

OP
OP
G

Gretelin

Country
Hopefully yes it will happen soon
Restless nights without sleeping is super hard. Im looking into buying a wedge pillow. Any suggestions. Im still with that wedge thick wedge between my legs. I cant move. Much Love, Gretelin

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
B3nzaah
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom