THR Finally On The Recovery Side

PS—stairs are better. My hip is not giving out on me when I go up but I’m still nervous from the time it gave out on me at the beginning of recovery. Doing better though still need work

Hi @Mersada :wave:I've been away from the forum and missed your surgery! I am so pleased that you were finally able to get that hip taken care of.
Your tightness and "not feeling normal" is actually very normal for 4 months post op.. you will be amazed at how much improvement is still to come.
I remember marveling at the changes with each passing month.

A new job! It's coming at a perfect time for sure and the extra money will help with your new gym membership.. :happydance:

I am so happy for you.. !!

You‘re welcome, Mersada and thanks for responding. You’ve crossed my mind a few times lately. It‘s good to hear you’re doing well. Congrats on the promotion, I’m happy for you!

I think it’s pretty normal to feel much better, but not 100% at this point, because complete healing can take many more months. You will notice progress for a full year and even longer. The tightness / stiffness should also ease with time. You may find you’re ready to move on from PT after you complete your next 8 sessions and joining LA Fitness and working at your own pace may work out perfectly for you. It’s good to read the stairs are becoming easier also. I hope you continue to enjoy steady progress, the remainder of Summer and your new position at work. Don’t be a stranger here, it was really nice to hear from you! :)
@Mersada

I bet you'd benefit more from time spent in a swimming pool just doing simple movement excercises than physio sessions. It seems to me that physio sessions result in increased pain and stiffness rather than relaxed muscles and healing. Just a personal opinion of course but probably worth checking the literature on efficacy of PT post joint replacement.

Mersada - that is great that you are 4 months out. Congratulations on the promotion. Keep up with your PT - it will pay off at the end.

Happy six month anniversary to me. Stopped pt. Still feels tight when I walk a bit. Not doing as much walking as I should perhaps. I just got a stationary bike...I just get impatient using it. Not much else new. I still feel stiff when I get up from sitting at work. Try to do my stretches in the ladies room.

Hope everyone is doing g well.

Wow! Six months already. Happy Six Month Anniversary, Mersada! It’s nice to hear from you. I think the stiffness you described after sitting is pretty normal. I understand your impatience with the exercise bike. I feel the same about the treadmill, as opposed to walking outdoors…boring. :yawn:

You have many more months to notice improvement and I’m sure you will. A former member once said that if he only ever feels 90% better than he did before surgery, he’d be happy and I totally agree. It’s Heaven getting rid of that debilitating hip pain. I hope your days are good for the most part and you’re back enjoying the things you love.
Take good care and stay in touch. Have a wonderful Autumn!
@Mersada

:wave:
Happy 6 mo hipversary!

That stiffness stayed around a while with me too.
Like Layla said, lots of improvement to come.
Hope your week is Sweet!

Hi @Mersada, happy 6 month hip anniversary, glad you are doing good, my 5 month hip anniversary is tomorrow and I can appreciate how you feel. Keep up the good work.

Seven month anniversary was two days ago. Better and better every day. Although, I probably should be doing more strength exercises, I'm being lazy.

Hope you all are doing well. I'm forever grateful for this forum and how much it helped me get through the anxious times.

Wish you all a happy Pain free thanksgiving!!

Hello Mersada,
It always puts a smile on my face to see your avatar. It takes me back to your long journey and it’s wonderful to read how well you’re doing now, already seven months post op.
A belated Happy Seven Month Anniversary!

It’s difficult to believe early on in our recovery that it will continue to get better beyond those initial few months, but as you’re experiencing, it does. I believe you will continue to notice improvements over the next several months and possibly even beyond your one year anniversary. I know I did.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season and a fantastic New Year. Thanks for stopping by! :loveshwr:
@Mersada

Time flies when you're no longer in pain. Hope everyone is doing well. It's my one year hip surgery anniversary. Everything is going well. Just thought I would pop in and say hello!!

@Mersada Good to hear from you. Glad life is grand post THR! Thanks for checking in.

My THR was also with Dr Della Valle on 4/5! You are in excellent hands. I was able to put full weight on my leg immediately so I imagine our recovery stories will differ a bit, but I can tell you that I have had very little pain or discomfort since I walked out of the hospital the morning after my surgery. The staff at HSS is terrific as is his entire team. Any questions I have are answered within a few hours of my calling. I was extremely bruised and moderately swollen in my thigh area but all of that is improving. Using ice and elevating. I’m doing the prescribed exercises on my own, I started immediately on arriving home. And I start outpatient PT next week. I have not needed to take oxy since I was discharged, just Tylenol and Celebrex for the pain, which is really stiffness, soreness and some tenderness around my incision, which is only four inches. Most important, I’m walking unassisted 95% of the time. I take the cane with me outdoors and the walker only at night for bathroom but I’ll ditch that in another few days, I’m just being very cautious. And my pre surgery pain, which had begun to creep into my knee and ankle, is gone. Finito! Hang in there! Happy to have a fellow Della Valle patient along for the ride!

Oops. Just saw you are a year ahead of me, glad you are doing so well. So far my very early recovery has exceeded my expectations. Very happy.

Happy hippy one year anniversary @Mersada

I love when people come back to the forum to say all is going well. I sometimes take a peek back to see what was in their very first post.

Now. “ Time flies when you're no longer in pain.”

Then (May 2108)
… I have hip dysplasia, and it only hurts when I walk longer than about ten minutes, so I have been avoiding the idea of surgery. I just cancelled a vacation on a cruise, however and I realized I was cancelling it, because of the dull pain I feel when I walk the entire length of the cruise ship. I also realized I avoid a lot of things that involve a lot of walking...so, It's time to consider surgery. Sorry, just went on a tangent...I'm nervous about it.
What a difference a THR can make! I hope you continue to go from strength to strength.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back