THR Finally On The Recovery Side

Happy 18! I was wondering the same thing on icing. Glad you are progressing.

You ice for as long as you want and need.

I still occasionally ice ... especially after a hard workout and the soft tissue area gets achy.

But more to your journey, you'll naturally ease out of icing at some point without a lot of conscious thought (if I remember correctly). Then you can go back to it when you "overdo" it.

You'll just know. And if icing slips your mind and you find yourself achy, just resume. As I recall, the first month was my most intense icing. I eased up after that. But my experience is no prescription for you. Just give your body what it needs.

I'm just checking in to see how you are doing. Virtual PT must be difficult, and I agree that if the recliner is working for you, then why change that. There is a lot of healing that needs to happen. It won't happen overnight. I have a PT coming in to the home twice a week. We are working on very light exercises (half I do in bed- foot pumps, ankle circles, butt squeezes, knee pressed to the bed, heel slides). The others I do standing at the counter, but I just added these a week after surgery, I make a point to do them gently, and there was one exercise early on that caused pain in my inner thigh so I told my PT I didn't want to do that one for now and she was okay with that. I'm still dealing with the swelling- now it is behind my knee all the way down to my toes and gets worse as the day goes on. Hang in there. It will get better.

Day 19-- woke up at night achy and realized I still need pain killers even though the pain was about a three. I wanted it to be a zero so I took my oxy. I sleep better when its a zero. I woke up in the early afternoon to just tightness of the inner thigh, I suppose that tendon is still healing. I did my lying down and counter exercises and am.back on my recliner. Feeling good.

Day 20--had to put down my 14 year old little dog today. She was having seizures and was incoherent. I think I broke my precautions for a minute getting her from being trapped behind the toilet. I thought it was the right time to let her go over rainbow bridge. She was not aware and walking into every thing. I'm feeling sad.

I cancelled PT today as I was not in the mood.

How sad, Mersada. I’m so sorry you have to deal with this heartbreak, especially now while you’re healing from major surgery. Our last dog had seizures and I found it to be very stressful. I was afraid to leave her because the thought of her being alone during and after a seizure felt overwhelming. As difficult as it to lose our pets, watching a beloved companion decline or needlessly suffer Is so sad. There comes a time when letting go is the most loving and compassionate thing we can do. Sending a hug your way and wishes for a peaceful evening. :console2:
@Mersada

My heart goes out to you @Mersada. :boohoo:It's hard to let go of our beloved fur babies, but I firmly believe they will be waiting for us when we too cross the rainbow bridge. :angel:

Hi Mersada..... remember me? We first communicated on this forum back in 2018 ! I had my hip surgeries and you had put off having yours at the time. When I pass your apartment complex, I often wonder if you had your surgery. I happened to log onto the site today because I just recommended it to a friend who had hip surgery a couple of days ago. I was telling him how helpful this forum was (especially on those sleepless nights at 3am) !! when there always seemed to be someone around to talk to. Anyway, I was just reading your posts and I am so happy that you have had your surgery and that your recovery is going well (even though at times it may not feel that way). I also read your most recent post about the loss of your dog, and I am so sorry you are going through that right now and know how difficult that can be. Stay strong and focus on your recovery (I know that is way easier said than done).
Take care of yourself .... and know that recovery is only a small part of the future you will finally have free of hip pain! Lea

So sorry about your dog @Mersada A beloved pet is truly part of the family. There's never a good time, but this has to be particularly difficult. Sending hugs your way...

Thinking about you, sending warm hugs. I lost Joey, my 16 year old pug, last March and know how hard it is.

Feeling a bit sad still.

Sadly, that’s normal since losing a beloved pet is an adjustment. I’m most sorry you have to deal with this at the same time you’re rather trapped at home while healing. I hope your recovery is going well over the past several days.

Sending a hug and wishes for your comfort both physically and emotionally. We’re here if you need us. :console2:

Almost four weeks, I basically have no pain. I am able to get in and out of the tub with a little help. I am still on my walker due to having that small crack on my hip. I am still 50% weight bearing. This will probably be till I see the surgeon and he x-ray s my hip. I still feel tight and stiff on my inner thigh.

@Lea61 yes, I remember you. I ended up with a surgeon from HSS because they started taking my insurance. I found Dr Della valle who specializes in dysplasia of the hip. So far, I am pleased with the turn out. How have you been? I remember you dislocated your hip shortly after surgery.

@Layla , thank you for your kind words. Losing one of my dogs right now was not something I was prepared for but its never something you're prepared for I guess. I still have Pepper who is six, she is a comfort.

Now, I'm hoping to graduate to a cane but I understand when you have a crack in your hip it can take six weeks to heal. I guess I will have to be patient.

You’re welcome, Mersada. Losing a pet is never easy, even when it’s the most loving thing you can do for them. I‘m guessing, Pepper, is going through a little separation anxiety of her own given she’s missing her furry friend. So sad for her also, but I’m glad you have her companionship.
No pain?!! :yes!: Wonderful news, so happy to hear it!
Less than two weeks now until your appointment. I’ll bet your OS will be pleased with your progress and hopefully allow for the lifting of some restrictions which will help you advance further in your recovery. Something to look forward to. :happydance: Usually those first visits are very encouraging and leave you feeling excited to move forward with next steps.
Focus on that vacation you’re planning. It will be here before you know it!
@Mersada

2021-01-17_19-35-15_844.jpg my Yoshie RIP.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks