THR Finally On The Recovery Side

Mersada

graduate
Country
United States United States
I got my call from the hospital. I have to be there at 6:45 am for surgery at 9:45 am. I am surprisingly calm. I am not looking forward to recovery, though. I have to admit. I am just hoping the pain meds work right away. I am a big cry baby when it comes to pain. My hip is kind of throbbing right now, as if to tell me its definitely time for this. Thank you all for your support and tips along the way. Let's get this show on the road.

You have such a positive attitude that I think it will serve you well in your recovery - handling pain included.

I love that you’re feeling calm, Mersada. I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow morning. I’m excited for you that the wait is over and the day is finally here. It’s been a long time coming. Wishing you only the best. I‘ll be watching for your first update.
Sending a hug your way. :thumb:
@Mersada

Best of luck! It will go great and you’ll be so glad when you have no pain in your hip!

So excited for you, soon you’ll be pain free. Don’t worry too much about post-operative/recovery pain - just take your meds on time and you’ll be fine. I had a posterior approach lthr 5 weeks ago and after the first couple of days I honestly didn’t have pain above maybe 1 or 2 out of 10. Even on the first two days it wasn’t above a 5. Actually I had a lot more pain before the operation. Let us know how you get on!

@Mersada Good luck on your surgery! Your hip pain will be gone and you will be able to enjoy life more comfortably. Everyone is here for you with any questions or concerns you might have. You got this!

It's kind of a relief when you finally get there and know it will all soon be over but the healing. The day you realize that the pain you feel is healing pain that will get better, and not grinding joint pain that will continue to get worse is a glorious day and yours is now coming soon @Mersada! :happydance: Looking forward to seeing you here soon!

:hi:
A last minute virtual hug.
Will be looking for you when you feel up to posting.
Bye bye hip pain.:yes!:

All the best today! I'll leave your recovery guidelines here for you to reference when you are ready:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

That waiting drove me crazy. You are so close but still in wait mode. Hang in there and enjoy the view!

Yay! :yay: You’re officially in Recovery! :welome: Such wonderful news! :yes!:
I hope they keep your pain well controlled with meds and ice. I’ll bet you’re happy to finally be post op. :happydance: Wishing you comfort as you begin healing. Stay in touch when you’re feeling up to it.
@Mersada

No log leg, that's fantastic! Glad you are on the other side and starting your recovery!

:wave::egypdance: @Mersada Welcome to the healing side! Congrats on your new hip!

Dr Della Valle came to see me twice after surgery. I was impressed.
He has told me the found a tiny crack in my hip which they used screws to repair. This will mean I can only do 50 % weight bearing on my operated side. I guess pt will show me what he means tomorrow.
Dr Della Valle told me to expect that it will bother me...the pain. But I told him I wanted to try to stay ahead of it. He agrees.
They finally gave us something to eat—turkey sandwich, yogurt and pudding. I was sure hungry afte the long day. Mostly happy no nausea from the oxy. Although she told me she gave me a low dose. Fingers crossed that tomorrow is ok.
Everyone of the staff is so pleasant it make the stay even better.
I have to admit, I’m afraid to move with the new hip. They turned me on my side to check on the epidural and I heard clicking. I was nervous about that. I have a catheter so no bathroom break needed yet. I haven’t seen pt yet. It will probably be tomorrow so I’m doing my own ankle pumps. They also gave me that breathing thing you blow into. Been doing ten an hour. Easy peasy so far. Too good to be true. Hope tomorrow doesn’t rain on my parade. Lol

PS - I have to be at Hospital by 5:30 am for surgery at 7:30. I am so ready to
Dr Della Valle came to see me twice after surgery. I was impressed.
He has told me the found a tiny crack in my hip which they used screws to repair. This will mean I can only do 50 % weight bearing on my operated side. I guess pt will show me what he means tomorrow.
Dr Della Valle told me to expect that it will bother me...the pain. But I told him I wanted to try to stay ahead of it. He agrees.
They finally gave us something to eat—turkey sandwich, yogurt and pudding. I was sure hungry afte the long day. Mostly happy no nausea from the oxy. Although she told me she gave me a low dose. Fingers crossed that tomorrow is ok.
Everyone of the staff is so pleasant it make the stay even better.
I have to admit, I’m afraid to move with the new hip. They turned me on my side to check on the epidural and I heard clicking. I was nervous about that. I have a catheter so no bathroom break needed yet. I haven’t seen pt yet. It will probably be tomorrow so I’m doing my own ankle pumps. They also gave me that breathing thing you blow into. Been doing ten an hour. Easy peasy so far. Too good to be true. Hope tomorrow doesn’t rain on my parade. Lol
Thinking of you - sending hugs as I just lack what to say. Beautiful attitude and positive spirit will get you thru this burp.

Thank you so much and good luck to you. Atleast it’s not three hours earlier like me. See you in on this side of the fence tomorrow

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member