Bilateral TKR Finally On The Other Side. Bilateral TKR 1/9

Thank you KC Kitty, I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts on it! It seems like most who have done BL are glad after they recover, but I was curious to see what you thought being earlier in the process. I hope your back pain eases up so you can focus on those knees!

Any tips about type of massage and finding the right therapist?
I went online and searched all the massage therapists in my area. I read the therapists’ bio’s on their websites and looked for one that did ‘medical massage’ or ‘post-surgical massage’. I was also interested in lymphatic drainage (for swelling). I was lucky enough to find one that does both! She has been probably the biggest blessing in my recovery journey. Actually she and BoneSmart :)

Happy One Month Anniversary! :wave:
I recall one month post op felt like a big milestone. Hope it feels that way for you too.
You're making great progress and the future looks bright. What a Summer you'll have! :SUNsmile:
A wonderful weekend to you!
@KC Kitty

Happy One Month Anniversary! :wave:
I recall one month post op felt like a big milestone. Hope it feels that way for you too.
You're making great progress and the future looks bright. What a Summer you'll have! :SUNsmile:
A wonderful weekend to you!
@KC Kitty
Hi Layla, You are the best! Thank you for remembering. Yes!!! It has been quite the month. I am back at work for 4 days now. It is going quite well and I am taking breaks to ice and elevate. :) I am sure my back and my knees will bet better as time goes on and very much looking forward to Summer. Thank you again for all your support. I could not have done it without the support from you and everyone on this site. I so appreciate it!!! :)

Hello my Bone Smart friends. I need some guidance. I had bilateral TKR 6 weeks ago and last night I had my PT evaluation and my Left knee extension was at 3 and my right was at 10. Through massage and manipulation the PT was able to get my right to a 5. I am stretching frequently throughout the day but the PT mentioned when I go to my surgeon for follow up they may want to do a MUA. Do you all think it is too early to make that decision? I am really worried as I have been doing everything the PT has told me to do and working very hard day in and day out. My flexion is good at 120 and 124. Please let me know your thoughts? Thank you in advance. It is appreciated.

Hi there KC Kitty,
Please do not allow anyone to forcefully manipulate your leg. While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases. Give it time. This will happen through the activities of daily living. It is definitely too early to be considering MUA as you're only a little over a month into a recovery that can last a full year for some and even longer for others. You shouldn't have to "work very hard" day in and day out, your body is healing from the controlled trauma of major surgery. Please allow it to heal without feeling threatened and worried by the mention of unnecessary procedures hanging over your head. You're doing great, especially recovering from bilateral surgery. Hats off to you, brave one!

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you'd like a different thread title at this point, let us know and we'll be happy to change it for you.
A great week to you!
@KC Kitty

To gain a better understanding, following is a link to our Library with several articles on MUA listed under section M
Library Index

Your numbers are great!!!
Please don't worry. And please don't let a PT manipulate your knee. Your ROM will continue when your swelling subsides.
I was at 115 ( I think) and 4 last week. With very little pt. And to be honest, not much exercises at home. Why? Because I've done this before with great results and I still have swelling. I've had PT 1x week for the last 3 weeks. Suppose to go 2x this week. We'll see.
I did the same thing for first tkr. I had a great recovery.
There is a ROM chart by real person somewhere here. A staff member can find it for you. It follows his ROM over the course of a year.
You are really rocking your bilateral recovery. Don't let anyone use scare tactics.

Hi there KC Kitty,
Please do not allow anyone to forcefully manipulate your leg. While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases. Give it time. This will happen through the activities of daily living. It is definitely too early to be considering MUA as you're only a little over a month into a recovery that can last a full year for some and even longer for others. You shouldn't have to "work very hard" day in and day out, your body is healing from the controlled trauma of major surgery. Please allow it to heal without feeling threatened and worried by the mention of unnecessary procedures hanging over your head. You're doing great, especially recovering from bilateral surgery. Hats off to you, brave one!

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you'd like a different thread title at this point, let us know and we'll be happy to change it for you.
A great week to you!
@KC Kitty

To gain a better understanding, following is a link to our Library with several articles on MUA listed under section M
Library Index
Thank you Layla! I so needed to hear that. I greatly appreciate your wisdom and that is exactly what my gut was telling me! You are the best!

Your numbers are great!!!
Please don't worry. And please don't let a PT manipulate your knee. Your ROM will continue when your swelling subsides.
I was at 115 ( I think) and 4 last week. With very little pt. And to be honest, not much exercises at home. Why? Because I've done this before with great results and I still have swelling. I've had PT 1x week for the last 3 weeks. Suppose to go 2x this week. We'll see.
I did the same thing for first tkr. I had a great recovery.
There is a ROM chart by real person somewhere here. A staff member can find it for you. It follows his ROM over the course of a year.
You are really rocking your bilateral recovery. Don't let anyone use scare tactics.
Thank you Beachy! I appreciate the encouragement and advice!

I believe, beachy, is referring to a post by member TortiTabby. It reads as follows -
At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."

It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance:

I would be so interested to know what her extension numbers have been. That has definitely been the hardest part for me with my RTKR. I’m currently two days shy of 7 weeks post op.

Hello Lolli!
Welcome to BoneSmart and congrats on your new knee! We'd love to get to know you better and create a place for you on the forum to journal your recovery to reflect back upon at a later date. I am curious about the journey leading you to joint replacement and how your recovery is going so far. Please consider starting a thread and joining us for the same great support you're seeing here. I will leave a link, but if you need help, or prefer we do it for you, please let us know. A great day to you!
@Lolli
Starting a new thread and posting

Hi Layla!
Thank you for the warm welcome! I’ll give it a shot!

YAY! :happydance:We are happy to have you!
@Lolli

Hello and Happy Two Month Anniversary, KC Kitty!
I hope you’ve been doing well since we last heard from you. Gaining strength and stamina and comfortably falling back into your work routine. Take care and enjoy the rest of the week!
@KC Kitty

Hello and Happy Two Month Anniversary, KC Kitty!
I hope you’ve been doing well since we last heard from you. Gaining strength and stamina and comfortably falling back into your work routine. Take care and enjoy the rest of the week!
@KC Kitty
Hi Layla, Thank you so much for the sweet note. Actually today I went to my surgeons office for a follow up. He said everything looked well and he had no concerns and was pleased. He even told me to stop the aggressive PT. (Pushing down on my knees and putting my legs on a board and stretching them with gait belts to try and make my extension better.) He said to stop all PT, walk, ride my bike and do some stretching. They are also putting me on a stronger anti-inflammatory. I was so happy when I walked out of there. :) I hope you are doing well and thanks for checking in!!!

Actually today I went to my surgeons office for a follow up. He said everything looked well and he had no concerns and was pleased. He even told me to stop the aggressive PT. (Pushing down on my knees and putting my legs on a board and stretching them with gait belts to try and make my extension better.) He said to stop all PT, walk, ride my bike and do some stretching.
Hmmm, sounds familiar. :wink: So happy to read this update and your surgeon is a wise one!

Hello and Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How was the past month of stretching, walking and bike riding as opposed to PT? Hopefully more relaxing and enjoyable. Those visits with the OS are normally so reassuring. It's nice to read your appointment went well and made you happy. I'm betting it's even better now that another month has passed.
A blessed Spring 2023 to you! :flwrysmile:
@KC Kitty

I had bilateral, always had really good flexion, but full extension took a few months, and came quite suddenly. I found that full extension really improved my back, that problem would appear to been caused by slouching slightly to compensate for standing on bent legs. I suddenly found that I no longer had to think about straightening up, it was a revelation!
The other weird thing about suddenly gaining full extension was that my knees felt slightly unstable for a couple of days, having never felt like that since day one. I just wasn’t used to having full ROM.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom