• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Finally made it here!

Petlover1

Country
United States United States
Hello again to all. It’s taken me this long to remember how to start a new thread! I never learned how to get my surgery date posted either so to refresh it was August 6. I had the left hip replaced, and am now in between surgeries.

The surgery went well and other than minor issues I was discharged on the third day rather than the next! I don’t know what to think anymore, the doctors around here are so obsessed over addiction possibilities it really is that you can not say anything about pain without being looked at as an addict. The very next morning after my surgery a resident came to see me and announced she was discontinuing the pain medication. I kid you not, I had taken exactly one pill. When I asked why was the pain medicine to be stopped so soon, I of course mentioned I only took one pill in over twelve hours and was close to another twelve hour stretch, she replied well all right we won’t discontinue it but be aware you can take a lower dose pill.

So after I went home and also before hand the physical therapists were repeatedly telling me I should take the pain medicine as prescribed and not the twelve hour stretches. Enter week two and I asked for a refill of several medications as only a seven day supply is given. I had stretched that out to almost three weeks, but now the pills were running very low. So I asked for a refill and the doctor said no, it would be best to stop taking those medications and should stick with Tylenol or Aleve which three weeks ago they said I must stop.

I asked for the muscle relaxer pill and meloxicam pills to be refilled and was told Sure, we can do that, but while I am waiting for the prescriptions the doctor disappeared and was not to be seen anymore. The receptionist hands me an appointment card and ushered me out (god forbid I should ask for anything more).

Please don’t misunderstand I have absolutely no complaints about the surgery or my treatment in the hospital, they both were without problem or complaints. I didn’t ask for anything while I was in patient and thought I was as close to a “model patient” one could be. I am however extremely worried for having the next hip replaced. What if that one is more painful? Am I to just suffer because physicians don’t want to give more than a seven day supply of pain medicine? Apparently they have no problem with people suffering, what I went through before this surgery goes beyond cruel and inhumane, as practitioners just say “you can have plain Tylenol.”

It does say something about the strength of my internal organs. I was taking enormous amounts of Aleve and then Tylenol once they said no to Aleve as well. I am just so fed up with how patients are treated around here because of this prescribing fear. A friend had a relative who received absolutely nothing for pain after he fell and broke his hip. Had surgery to fix it and was really in terrible pain and given nothing and the explanation given was he is already suffering from dementia and pain meds may make this worse. But not just opioids were refused. They wouldn’t give the man IV Tylenol even, saying “we don’t do that” so I guess I should shut up and be thankful I was given seven days anyway.

I am still stiff and have times when I really would use a pain pill. As for the other hip maybe with further healing the one replaced will be strong enough that I can deal with just having one good hip. I should add the doctors across the United States have access to a data base and could easily confirm who is habitually using medications and I know there is nothing next to my name! I haven’t had a single prescription for anything in at least ten years!

That’s not even the whole story when I got home I had to resume everything - cleaning, vacuuming, cleaning up after my pets, feeding them etc. I really had no time to relax as my pet sitter had other things to attend to. It may be that is why I am not at 100% by two and a half weeks but I didn’t think I should have to make excuses at that early point. I don’t do well with confrontation either so I just stuffed it and here I am!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
Hi, Petlover1.....I'm glad to know your surgery is done and you're back home again. It does sound like you had some challenges with pain meds, but good for you for standing up and questioning things. That's exactly what you need to do for hip #2. And, since you know your surgeon is going to be closely monitoring pain meds, ask him BEFORE that surgery what his plan is for your pain management if you experience more pain with the second hip. There are many options for pain medications and if he desires to step you down in strength or to move from something like hydrocodone to Tramadol, it can be worth a try.

As far as your home chores, please go as easy as possible on this. I realize you must feed pets unless you can get some assistance with that. But cleaning, vacuuming, errands....these can all wait. No one ever died from dust bunnies! If you find doing an activity makes your hip hurt, then don't do it. The world won't end.

Here are our basic recovery articles so you can get an idea how long healing really takes. You're nowhere near there at two and a half weeks.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Ppadilla
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom