Finally left TKR November 3 - anxiety begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ridgetop01 @MercysPeace Just thinking about you both and wishing you well in your surgery. This journey is such an emotional roller-coaster and I am not sure most people understand. While talking to a friend yesterday, I realised that she just thought it was a minor op and I'd be up and about and back to normal in 2 weeks. Other people seem to think it's a breeze but as the physio I talked to said, "Realistic expectations are so important."
@ConnieJOS I just can't even begin to think how brave you are! 4 times this year. You should get a medal. The anxiety is enough to finish most people off before they begin the process!:goodpost:

@SuperSnapper Thanks, but I don't know how I've done it either! I've always been one of those "all or nothing" kind of people. When I realised they all had to be done, I just wanted it finished! I knew that I couldn't really enjoy the benefits of any new joint if I'm still hobbling around on the old ones. I wish you well for your surgery next month!

@gr82cu2
you are so smart....good idea..... i think i will get started this weekend....

I had a cortisone injection on my right knee today at my pre-op with my OS. The right knee is not at the knee replacement "place" yet but it's been giving me some problems...especially now that i have been compensating.....how long till that knee feels better after the injection (I don't remember from times before)?

When I would get the injections it usually felt a lot better right away but the betterness built up over 3-5 days. Unfortunately I got to where the injections didn't work anymore. Hopefully it helps you a lot cause that knee is about to get a workout assisting your left one.

That is why i decided to go for the injection. I know that my left knee will need all the help it can get and the way that my right knee was, i am not sure it would be able to do it. I newly-injected knee is sore and with some pain but I was told by my doctor to ice it and keep it elevated.....right after work , will do that......
How are you? What new adventures have you been on?

Yes, baby that injected knee like crazy if you can. I haven't been up to much since the weekend. I tried to pretend I was a normal human and paid for it big time. I had PT this afternoon and have been icing and relaxing since I got home. Unfortunately it's time to get up and make some dinner. It's chilly here so I was thinking some homemade potato soup and grilled cheese are in order for tonight. I have some potatoes I need to use up.

That soup sounds delicious!!! Enjoy!! Well, I got a Groupon for some healthy home delivery meals and ive been ordering those for last week and this week. I live by myself so this is easier for me......when i get home and i know all i have to do is heat up food....that makes me feel better. My injected knee s really sore....i can't straighten it. Tomorrow i have to work so i hope it gets a little better tomorrow.

@MercysPeace , we both go on 11/3 - my actual time is 1:00 pm for surgery, how about you? The week continues to drag, more than before any other surgery, not sure why! I hope your injection site is better today? I had a lot of those, helped some, always took a few days to take effect.

Feel better, and may time flow swiftly if you want it too!

I made a new cover for my ice insert :) So much prettier!

ai60.tinypic.com_24ax01j.jpg

@Nana moon 27 Thanks! The one I was issued in the hospital was pretty well worn out. The velcro stuck to the actual garment and was sticking no more. So I went and got 1/2 yard of clearance fleece fabric and used an old t-shirt for the other side and reused my straps from my immobilizer. Viola! A new cover for the inserts. Since I'm having my other knee done next week I think I'll make a 2nd one.

@gr82cu2 That is so so pretty and creative....I absolutely love it!!!!
I have the one you recommended I get on line...remember? .... and i made a simple one with terry cloth but it doesn't stay put like yours....it's just a plain insert and i can use it while i am lying down.

@ridgetop01 The injection site is doing better today.....i iced it last night and am working today but since i have been on crutches for a while now, that actually helps with the injected knee as well....

You guys are all amazing!!!:doggie::catdance:

I know you do! That's why I showed you the picture. If your wrap wears out you can make a new one :) You could cut the elastic straps off the original one and sew them into a new one if you have a sewing machine. It was super easy. I have the other one cut out. I just need to go sew it all together. My to do list is growing steadily now in preparation for next week. Eek!!!

@MercysPeace Stopping by to check on you. Hope the injected knee is feeling better. The shots worked for my right knee for a long time. So far left knee is handling the burden better than I thought it would. I'm sure you are ready and prepared for your surgery next week. Bonesmart is so helpful. Best wishes on your surgery and recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
@gr82cu2 Oh Janet, oh my goodness! You are just a few days away! I have so much admiration for you! Hopefully the second one will be easier since you know what to expect. I haven't had time to catch up with everyone yet, but Hope all is well with new knee #1. Will be checking on you and saying a few prayers! Mary

@wolf woman Hi Mary, it's good to see you. I was just reading on other threads that you are still not well and your mom's memorial service is tomorrow. Please know my thoughts will be with you. Hopefully once that is all behind you you will begin to heal both physically and emotionally and you will feel like getting back to the gym. I'm doing ok. Knee #1 is still being a little stubborn but nothing I would consider abnormal based on all I have read here. We all want to be 100% better instantly, right? I've gotten so into resting and relaxing mode these past 3 months I'm having a hard time getting motivated to get up and get the things done I need to get done before next Tuesday. I work best under pressure though so I'll get it all done and if I don't, it will remain undone or will just have to wait. Take care Mary and please don't hesitate to let us know how you are whenever you need us. (((hugs)))

Hi all and @Minnie'sknees! My injected knee is doing a little better but not really ok yet...
@Wofwoman sorry to hear about your mom :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member