Guest viewing is limited

THR Few questions about hip replacement

Hi @mariustpz ! I have news for you haha! You are closer to being 30 years old than 20, and the older you get, the more random aches and pains you may get! My body "started falling apart" when I was 19... Carry on with your regular life-- a tiny pain that disappears in 5 minutes is nothing to worry about as I see it.

As Jaycey said, you will actually keep getting better and better. I realized, when my first hip turned two, that it was noticeably better than it had been at one year. It's nearly ten years old now, and I think it probably stopped improving after 3-4 years, and is holding steady at "very good, excellent, I am so glad I had the surgery" now. You have that to look forward to.

On this forum people talk about "the forgotten hip", by which we mean we can go for hours, days, weeks, months, without thinking about our bionic joint. Relax and allow yourself to forget!:yes:
 
Hello again,

I have a curiosity and I want to ask you all with hip replacements.
Did you had any disconfort after 1 year?
Today i had a small pain, like 0.5 /10 when walked. I had it for like 5 minutes then has gone and didn't come back.
And simetimes i get a small knee pain like i said, but the same way, short time, the knee pain goes away if i stretch the muscles a little.
And also, i get some random disconfort în the joint area, but i cant describe it, is not pain or something...

Am i beeing to paranoid? Because i check the hip every moment of the day, i want it to safe...
Pain and discomfort happens, still does for both of mine. Granted I'm closer to 70 then you are to 30! Don't know if you played sports or were ever injured but all of the injuries tend to always have a lasting effect. Well with our hips we are dislocated and if you ever dislocated something a small as a finger it's effect lasts a long time if not forever.
Your paranoia isn't a bad thing, it will fade and just become more of an awareness. The moments you check or think about your hip will be spread further and further apart, but for me it's always there just not constant.
 
Thank you all for your messages!
Indeed is doing the job, i don't have problems walking, i can even run if i want to, i can move it in any direction without problems.

This summer I cycled quite often for distances of 20-30km. Now that winter has come I haven't been out so much, I've been staying indoors and I suppose that's also a cause, lack of exercise.

I'm quite paranoid, although I know it's not good, because I don't want to go through surgery again, especially as I've had three of them and a period where I couldn't walk, it's horrifying for me....

I'll go for a checkup soon, I hope, the last time my surgeon "kicked me out" and told me not to go to the hospital if I don't feel sick because i'm good now :heehee:
 
I'm quite paranoid, although I know it's not good, because I don't want to go through surgery again, especially as I've had three of them and a period where I couldn't walk, it's horrifying for me....
I'm going through a time where I hurt my leg and thought I damaged my hip implant. I didn't want to see my OS just because I felt bad that I might have damaged his good work to give me a pain free life. I also didn't want any more surgeries on my hips!
 
Well, i do want to see my OS but everytime i went to the hospital i had that emotions of "what if".
Even if i know that are very small chances that my hip is damaged somehow, but is that feeling... you know... that's why i'm asking here, and i'm grateful i found this forum because reading all your messages helped me in the last year and now.
 
Hello,

Small update. I feel good, i didn't had any problems with my hip, i walk normally and with no pain, my hip feels like the left one, no difference.
I really can't belive that with a artificial hip i feel so good.

Thank you all for helping me with advices, and i hope everyone is good!
 
Hello mariustpz,
Thanks for the update! It is great to read you're doing so well. Thanks for stopping by to share your uplifting news.
All the best to you!
@mariustpz
 
Hello again, I have a quick question for those who have had this type of intervention. I want to go to the dentist to have a scaling done, and I understand that I need to take antibiotics beforehand, considering that I have a hip prosthesis?
 
I understand that I need to take antibiotics beforehand, considering that I have a hip prosthesis?
This is always a huge debate. I asked my surgeon, my family doctor and my dentist if I needed antibiotics for routine scaling. All said no. I have never taken antibiotics before dental work.

Having said that, if there was an infection or the dental work was going to be invasive, I would certainly consider taking antibiotics.
 
Hello again, I have a quick question for those who have had this type of intervention. I want to go to the dentist to have a scaling done, and I understand that I need to take antibiotics beforehand, considering that I have a hip prosthesis?
My OS recommends antibiotics, I would consult your OS and follow what they recommend.
 
I sent a message to the doctor's office, and they responded today, they said that from their point of view, I don't need to take antibiotics. At the dentist, they said that if my gums bleed, I should take them two days before dental work. I don't even know what to do, but i would go with my OS because i think he know better than my dentist, i guess.
 
@mariustpz I agree with your approach. I would go with what your surgeon suggests. If the dental work was going to be invasive such as root canal or extraction then yes, antibiotics are suggested. But for routine cleaning I really don't think they are warranted.
 
Yes, well, it seemed strange to me as well that it was recommended for a simple cleaning. The reason would be that if the gums bleed, you could have an infection in the bloodstream. The thing is, my gums bleed every time I brush my teeth (that's why I want to clean them), so there wouldn't be any difference with scaling, because the risk for me would be every day when I brush them.
 
Yes, well, it seemed strange to me as well that it was recommended for a simple cleaning. The reason would be that if the gums bleed, you could have an infection in the bloodstream. The thing is, my gums bleed every time I brush my teeth (that's why I want to clean them), so there wouldn't be any difference with scaling, because the risk for me would be every day when I brush them.
You brush your teeth in your home with your toothbrush, I hope. Going out into the world and having someone else put their hands in your mouth with their tools is where I see the problem would come in. Just my opinion.
 
Timely thread! I was also unsure, and both my hip surgeon and dentist said antibiotics
were needed even just for a cleaning. It concerns me that your teeth bleed
when you brush your teeth (mine don't).

What did you end up doing?

My concern is that I took a one-dose of Clindamycin
just for a cleaning this Monday, which was fine. But next Tues ( 8 days later), I have
to have a temporary crown put in, and it's a ten-day course of Clindamycin. I wonder
if taking them so close together is effective.

We've all read about how the over-prescription of antibiotics has led to other
problems, so it's confusing.

Plus, when you take antibiotics, you're risking a "super-infection" (Urinary
tract, yeast, etc. ). , and should
take pro-biotics. It angers me that doctors/dentists never mention this!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom