BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] fenway09's recovery thread<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by fenway09, May 17, 2019.

1. RAD

RAD member

United States United States
    @fenway09 my PT has actually been doing massage on the scar since last week with excellent results, it's so smooth and looks great. I've been starting to lightly massage it myself too, after I saw what he was doing. But I'm leaving most of it to him! Thanks for the Mederma link @Benay I think I'm going to give that a try.

2. Benay

Benay graduate

@dogwalker2 OS told me not to use anything until the scar was healed pretty much. I began tentatively massaging at about 5 weeks out, probably could've started earlier but really I don't don't mind my scar at all. There's no raised bits and it looks straight and uniform, although right now a bit red. Biggest fear is massive 18 lb cat (Benay) landing on it from a leap.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Benay

Benay graduate

@RAD Amazon Prime!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It’s been over 2 years and I still think it’s creepy to put even just basic moisturizer on my knee as I’m doing the whole leg, something shifts around when I do. :yikes: I don’t do it often.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I wouldn't recommend that. If you must use something, use what BoneSmart recommends which is Active Scar Shield (ad at top of page)

Also I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

• Like Like x 1
  6. RAD

RAD member

7. lopat

lopat junior member

@fenway09, missed our AnniKNEEversary yesterday. So Happy, Happy!

I hope you’re feeling more like yourself today. I still have fits of depression also. And seriously, my husband is a saint....except for when he’s being dense. I am gonna owe him big!

Scar massage - my PT started doing it. I am trying to also but it’s tender.

Keep your chin up, Surely we’re on the downhill side now.:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
  8. RAD

RAD member

@fenway09 and @lopat My PT has been doing the scar massage. Very sensitive too, but my numbness is decreasing and the scar looks great!

9. Indygo

Indygo junior member

I’m a May 15th surgery too! Didn’t realize there were so many of us. This is the first week I’ve gone out almost every day. Still swelling and numbness, need the cane when out—but mostly for security. The scar looks much better than I thought it would!!

• Like Like x 3
  10. fenway09

fenway09 junior member

Hi fellow TKR ....happy belated 5/15 knee peeps. I had another tough week. I had an issue with constipation and ended up taking "the bomb" as my nurse friend calls it......4 oz prune juice with 30 ml milk of magnesia and duculax suppository. Oh my GOSH. I was sick all night and the next 24 hours .....so weak from the explosion. Sorry for the graphics.

Anyway, I made it to PT yesterday and once again I cannot walk today. She doesn't think she is working me that hard but then why all this pain? I am backing down from the pain meds but def cannot go without. I just have no idea what is normal anymore.

I have numbness and tenderness in the joint and it's warm but I never had a ton of swelling but obviously the tissues are annoyed. I am uncertain whether this is still pain from the tibial plateau fracture site a year ago. I guess it doesn't much matter.

I wish I could say I was out walking a mile unaided or able to pick up items at the grocery...... not happening. Grateful for central air and my ice machine. It's the simple things :spin:

Hope you are all well and are faring well.

11. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

If you have that much pain the day after PT then it is the wrong kind of PT.

At 6 weeks post op you still have a lot of healing to do, and this kind of PT is disrupting your healing. It’s up to you whether or not you continue to allow this to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. lisabl

lisabl member

@fenway09 I had physio on Thursday and as my knee is hard with swelling (does not look swollen just feel like one giant knot) she just did ultrasound massage. I would describe my knee as stiff rather than painful, but still taking 4000mg of Paracetamol a day and am sure without them I would be in pain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RAD

RAD member

Sorry to hear that you’re having a tough time @fenway09. Be good to yourself and hopefully next week will be a better week.

On a lighter note, the Yankees Red Sox game in London is a real slug fest! I’m assuming you’re a Red Sox fan, but Let’s go Yankees!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Your PT therapist may not think she is working your knee too hard, but your knee certainly does.
    Listen to your knee, not your therapist.

Tell the therapist to cut back the exercises. It's your knee, not hers, and your job is to speak up, to protect your knee. Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

It's a bit soon to be cutting back your medications, particularly when PT is upsetting your knee.

15. lopat

lopat junior member

@fenway09 im so sorry you’re knee is still screaming at you. I know I’m the newbie here but I agree with the others, if you’re knee is so painful the next day, your PT is doing something your baby doesn’t like. I was very hesitant to tell mine No (hard to believe, I know) but I have twice. The difference for me is it’s usually “sore” that evening but the next day feels better so we continue. Lol tell her you she can go till you smack her and that means too far! Seriously, probably be hard to do but tell her “that’s enough” or maybe time to move to someone else? Like they keep telling us, listen to your knee. When it says enough, say it out loud.

I knew when you hadn’t said much this week, it wasn’t good. If it makes you feel any better, I had one of those blow outs as well. :eeeuw: 2 days of basically hanging near the bathroom.

Here’s to a better week! :martini:

Nancy

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. fenway09

fenway09 junior member

Thanks all. I was kinder to myself today. I was a little annoyed with my PT last Thursday when she asked me how I was after PT the prior week. I was honest and told her I couldn't walk for 2 days afterwards. She looked at me like I had 5 heads and I was very specific and said I felt that the weighted pulley she had me was the culprit. She denied and said "oh it wasn't that bad" and I said well yes, it was and then added "I implore anyone to have a TPF injury and a TKR within a year and not be in pain". Then I shut up and tried to get over it. Kind of a tense PT session.

She had me do a lot of balancing a minute on a board ( balancing front to back) and then side to side for a minute among other things but it was a half an hour session only. My knee hurts when weight bearing. It just does. I am hopeful it will pass.

Thanks @Celle and @lopat and @RAD

I used my recumbent bike for 20 mins today. I am happiest hooked up to my ice cuff with pain meds. Cheers all

17. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    That's too much for such a new knee, too.
    I think it's time to either look for a new therapist, or just do your own PT at home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. RAD

RAD member

• Like Like x 1
  19. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

I would suggest that they weren't just annoyed, they were furious !!
    I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

• Like Like x 1
  20. lisabl

lisabl member

@fenway09 last year when I had my PKR my physio didn't start balance board until week 12. 6/7 weeks is far too early. Rest and skip physio this week.

• Agree Agree x 1