BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Femur hardware sensitivity

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Cathysan, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Cathysan

Cathysan new member

United States United States
    Hi. I’ve had bilateral hip replacements and revisions but 2 years ago I underwent a femoral osteotomy. I’ve been in pain since and after many diagnostic tests as to why I continued to experience pain and discomfort, it was determined that the hardware was the culprit of my chronic pain.

My physician is recommending removal of the hardware. I’m curious to know if anyone has had this issue and if so, was there any improvement after removing it. Also interested in the recovery process. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Cathysan and :welome:
    Sounds like you have had alot to deal with in the hip department.
    I'm sorry that you are facing more surgery...I am not sure if I remember if there is a member who has undergone femur osteotomy.
    Could you please supply us with the dates of your hip surgeries?
    We can tag Josephine our nurse guru...she has decades of experience in all things hip and knee.
    Do you have date for hardware removal?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cathysan

Cathysan new member

Hi @Mojo333 and thank you for your reply.

I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at age one and have had several corrected surgeries since then. My first hip replacement was in 2004, first revision in 2010 and second revision in 2012 on my right hip. In 2014 I had a left hip replacement. I have custom made prosthesis on both sides.

In 2016, a femoral osteotomy was performed causing significant pain and discomfort. I have cables around the femur that may be causing irritation and inflammation. My surgery will take place sometime this summer. It appears that it’s uncommon to have this problem. I’m hoping to find similar cases on this forum.
    Thank you.

4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You've had a long journey. You've experienced a lot of hip related surgeries.
    I'm sorry you're looking at another round, also sorry I have nothing to offer other than support.
    Hopefully someone will stop by who can better relate to your current situation.
    I hope your next surgery is your last, resolves your issues and brings you the relief you deserve.
    We're here for you, we care. Wishing you comfort as you move forward.
    @Cathysan

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    We have had several members who have had fractures to the femur during their THRs and ties as you are describing. At least 2 had surgery to remove the cables after experiencing pain. I'm sure they will stop by soon to chat.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Layla

Hi @Cathysan
    Jaycey's post just jogged my sluggish memory.
    The two I'm thinking of offhand are @NanaKP and @BionicButt
    Both are super friendly, encouraging and supportive. I've tagged them for you. I'm sure they'll stop by at some point. I know NanaKP shared here that she would be away for a time visiting her mom but I'm sure she'll be checking in again soon. In the meantime you may want to peruse their threads.
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hitch-get-along.48703/
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/relief-after-removing-cerclage-cable.49633/

Wishing you comfort. I hope you have a pleasant weekend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. sansabosa

sansabosa senior

Turkey Turkey
    @Cathysan
    Hi there
    I also had congenital dysplasia diagnosed at the age of one and gone through many osteotomies in my childhood. I do understand what you have gone through. Recently gone through revision surgery and still under recovery phase...both hips have been replaced...
    I did not understand why you’ve had osteotomy after THR? Did you break any part of the femur?
    Is there any chance to schedule your surgery for an earlier date if you are so much in pain?
    I wish your next surgery will be the last one and will be the end to your pain

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

@Cathysan First I need more detail about your femoral osteotomy. Do you have an xray of it to post here so I can see what it is? There are so many types of femoral osteotomy, you see!

I'm also puzzled as to how you could have an osteotomy when you also have a hip replacement.

9. Cathysan

Cathysan new member

@Layla thank you for your input and I appreciate your support. Very kind of you!

@Josephine I had a leg length discrepancy, so my Dr performed the femur osteotomy to correct the leg length.
    Thanks everyone.
    Here’s my xrays for your review.

cathy.jpeg

10. Cathysan

Cathysan new member

@sansabosa sounds like we’ve been through a similar journey. I think I’ve had around 10 surgeries already and I also need bilateral knee replacements in the near future. My husband started a new job, so I need to wait until he’s able to take time off to care for me. My pain is managed with medications at this time. Some days are worse than others, but I do tend to have a high pain tolerance. It’s emotionally difficult to undergo another procedure and go through the recovery period. Just so DONE! I’m sure you can relate. Thanks for listening.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Layla

Wow, that's a lot of hardware. I can't imagine that it wouldn't cause discomfort / pain at some point.
    Have you used the same surgeon throughout? If so, will it be the same surgeon removing hardware.
    If that's the case, I'd be tempted to seek a second opinion. I will look forward to Josephine's opinion on all. She's experienced a lot in her 50+ yrs in Orthopedics. Wishing you comfort and relief as you move forward.
    @Cathysan

12. Josephine

Who told you that? I've known many patients have surgeries similar to yours and just as many have problems with pain after.

However, just to satisfy my curiosity, two more questions
    1. how much of a leg length discrepancy did you have?
    2. can you show me where the pain was using this chart?
    aa hip-references-horz.jpg

13. NanaKP

NanaKP member

Hi @Cathysan - Welcome to the BS forum. I found it to be very helpful and supportive through my journey. It sounds like you have had a very difficult and lengthy journey - wow, that Xray makes me shudder. After my first THR, a GT fracture was discovered so approximately 3 months after the hip replacement, they put in a cerclage claw and wire system. I had quite a lot of discomfort after that any time I lifted my left leg and I found it nearly impossible to go up stairs leading with that leg. My surgeon agreed that it was the hardware causing me the discomfort so December 14, 2018 I had it removed.

I had my second hip replaced November 5 with no problems, no fractures (thank goodness). I am recovering from all of the surgeries and presently, am feeling quite well. I can't say that the discomfort went away immediately but it was pretty quick. I now go up and down stairs leading with either leg and I'm fine (the left leg is still pretty weak but I'm confident that it's getting stronger). I have been back on the treadmill (walking) since January 1 and it feels amazing.

I do recommend that you go to @BionicButt and read her posts. When I discovered her thread, I cried seeing that I wasn't the only one going through this. Not sure if I can offer much sound advice but please feel free to ask any questions you might have. I'm pulling for you!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Cathysan

Cathysan new member

@NanaKP thanks for sharing your journey. It gives me hope that I’ll get some relief after hardware removal. I couldn’t find anyone with my similar issue until this forum. And still feel not many people experience issues with their hardware.

My physician has 30 years of experience and only encountered 2 with similar hardware sensitivity. He’s very knowledgeable and skilled with hips, knees and shoulders. In fact, he gets many referrals from patients/doctors wth complex Orthopaedic issues.

I have high grade/severe hip dysplasia and a few ortho docs refused to see me due to my complex case. I’m very comfortable with my surgeons and if it wasn’t for him to take my case, I would’ve been wheelchair bound.

He created my prosthesis because he knows my inside so well. So far, my new hips are doing well. My leg feels heavy and it’s hard to walk without a cane for support. My pain is primarily on my thigh and lateral side where the incision is located. Sometimes, I feel a stinging and sharp pain, and also a pulsating feeling. My leg is weak despite exercising 3x a week in the pool. I have never experienced this kind of discomfort.

Thanks again, for the support. Much appreciated!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Hippielife

Hippielife member

Cathysan... I have read about your journey it has been long and complicated. I am very sorry you have been thru so much. Your confidence in your surgeon is very important and with the courage you have shown through the many years I know that you will heal and be back to a pain free mobile life.I hope that you will have complete healing and peace soon and find the end to your journey . In my experience and with time you will get the strength back in your hip as muscles heal and all the in between struggles lead to a road of less pain, more strength, recovery and mobility. Sending healing and walking angels :angel::angel: to guide and comfort you on your healing journey.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  16. Josephine

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Cathysan

Cathysan new member

18. BionicButt

BionicButt junior member

Hi @Cathysan, I just found your thread and wanted to check in with you. How are you doing now? I also had bilateral hip dysplasia, now corrected by two hip replacements. Mine was not as severe as yours and leg length discrepancy was only about 1/4 inch on right side. It was corrected with first surgery.

I had problems with a cerclage cable, similar to yours, placed around my right femur to support it after my first hip replacement. Once the femur had mended around the implant, my surgeon was willing to remove it. About a year after the replacement, I had it removed. It was miraculous the difference! You can read the changes that happened after removal on my thread at: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/relief-after-removing-cerclage-cable.49633/. My wish at this point is that I'd done it sooner and not waited until the end of last summer! It would have made my summer hikes pain free and much easier than they were.

It sounds like your doctor is recommending removal of the hardware. If your surgeon no longer sees a structural reason to keep it in place, this might help your pain. It certainly helped mine. The surgery was only about 20 minutes. I was home within 2 hours and the recovery for me was very fast. It is a very simple surgery compared to what you have already been through.

You can see x-rays and photos of my cable at this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qXWaMSt2tW0TuBJf1.

My whole Hip Adventures are in that theme in my blog at: https://rhondaashurst.com.

I'm sending healing energy your way. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Cathysan

Cathysan new member

Hi @BionicButt, I appreciate your valuable input and I did viewed your story. It really made me feel at ease with my decision to move forward with the removal of hardware. I plan to have the surgery this summer. I hope it does help with the pain and discomfort. I’m glad you’re feeling better and it’s very impressive all you do. I will keep you posted regarding my recovery. Thank you for your kind words.
    Best wishes.

Cathy

• Like Like x 1
  20. BionicButt

BionicButt junior member

Hi @Cathysan, I'm glad you are having it removed this summer and that my story eased your mind about going forward. I was equally impressed with all you do! Especially given the pain you are still experiencing. I hope this surgery is as much a miracle for you as it has been for me.

Yes, please do keep me posted.

Wishing you all the best for your surgery and recovery. This one is much faster than a hip replacement!

Take care, Rhonda

• Friendly Friendly x 1