THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

I think you want the skill level to come through. I was taught to work a muscle completely and be thorough. Most of the time, when someone works too deeply, they aren’t working the full length of the muscles involved and are just dropping into the muscle belly.
Deep pressure and deep friction can increase the already present inflammation that is a part of the ongoing healing process of a recent joint replacement.
Then there are times when we do want to increase blood flow and create healthy inflammation to an ailing tendon..it depends on each person’s history.

But it’s your session, you know? Consider next time asking for moderate pressure and to be thorough and see what you think. It might not be what you’re looking for.
You asked about the icing, have you alternated with heat? Maybe heat will be more helpful at this point?
In general, I also say moderate pressure because this is a forum for joint replacements and like Mojo said, no elbows in our very sore muscles. :flabber:

You mentioned deep Psoas work, did they address where the it attaches into the hip joint? I hope so. There’s more to that muscle than just deep in the abdominal area.
That’s what I meant by being thorough.
I hope this helps :thumb:

Just a quick update. Went to work for the first time today (12 weeks). It was pretty stressful, but not so much because of my physical capacity. Teaching online is rough. Hopefully it will get better!

Getting back to work can be tough.
I went back way early even in just a supervisory position and it certainly was challenging.
Be kind to yourself as soon as you finish your work...try not to add anything else to your day.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Sorry you’re finding your return to work rough. I hope things fall into place soon and it becomes more comfortable.
A great rest of the week to you! :wave:
@Schaargi

Thank you! I haven't been online in a couple of days. Work has been really rough. A tension headache started brewing on Tuesday afternoon (from hunching over the computer in a super stressful environment) and it didn't let up. I worked from home today so that I could take breaks and do weird stretches on the floor in the privacy of my own home. And have my own bathroom and kitchen. This COVID stuff is for the birds.

We go live with kids on Monday, so it was my last chance to rest before the kids come. It's been a brutal week emotionally, but my hip seems to be holding up. Not much improvement in the quads this week but there are always ups and downs. Right now my hip flexor is feeling better so hoping that will continue to improve. I'm going to attend the online Q&A tomorrow to see what is up with some other hippies.

Thanks @Layla and @Mojo333 for the well wishes!

:hi: Happy Saturday!
I’m sorry to hear work has been rough and a stressor for you. Recovery is enough in itself.
I hope the upcoming week runs smoothly and goes by quickly. Thankfully your hip is holding up. Enjoy the Q&A tomorrow!
@Schaargi

@Schaargi here's hoping your shoulders stay at the level they were born in next week! My DIL, only 33, went virtual (for the first semester at least) this week, and after barely surviving the first day Tuesday, sent me a pic describing her level Of exhaustion-- her 6-month-old, face-planted in the high chair....

:flwrysmile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another weekly update here... My strength and stability continue to improve, as well as the feeling in my quads. I can now do gentle slopes with more confidence. (Uphill no problem, downhill still scary but getting better.) My emotional state is still tenuous due to work anxiety but I'm grateful my body is healing.

Our school went to synchronous learning this week, so half the kids are online and the other half in the classroom. Couple of surprises--lunch duty was icky because no one is wearing masks. The kids go out for lunch recess and my assigned area was on a slope, which was also scary.

Then--plot twist-- a fire drill. Down the hall, out the door, up the slope, up some stairs and across the football field. And all that in reverse on the way back. Yikes. At least it isn't winter. We are having another one on Monday for the other half of the kids so I will be ready and get another teacher to help. So many things that you don't think about. I might want to start a thread for teachers returning to work. Or there might already be one?

More good news--I walked a mile today in my neighborhood. Took the cane just in case, but In pretty excited about that milestone. Still staying off any exercises that make my hip flexor twinge, so some surrounding muscles are definitely weakening, but I'm hoping that will settle and eventually get stronger. I'm so grateful my quads are healing.

:hi: @Schaargi
Great news you continue to enjoy steady progress. I’m sorry you’re still feeling a bit anxious as you adjust to work in these unusual times we’re all navigating. I hope things level out and you feel more comfortable with your return soon.

It’s too bad you can’t be excused from the fire drill given your situation. Fingers crossed that with some help you manage well. I have read a lot of commentary from teachers returning to school, but it’s been scattered throughout the forum at different times. Please feel free to start a thread in the Community section under Social Room if you don’t find one there already. https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/social-room.11/

Have a lovely Sunday and week!

Hi all!

Wow, I might be counting wrong, but I think it's been 15 weeks. :wowspring:I've hit a bit of a plateau this week strength-wise, I think because I have not been doing my exercises regularly.

Sadly, I am taking a leave of absence from work. With this year's increased workload and job duty changes, my surgery complications, and other concerns, I am still struggling emotionally and physically.

As for my recovery, my mile-long walks are steady. I am almost able to do stairs with both legs (it's not pretty but it's getting better) and my confidence continues to increase. Yay! My next steps are to focus on regaining strength now that my quads are awake enough to do so. They are still pretty numb but are responding and I am better able to control them. :) :-) (:

I have a followup with the physician's assistant this week and hope to be cleared of any restrictions. Looking forward to that!

It is good that you will be able to concentrate on you and continue healing and progressing. Sometimes it is important to help ourselves first before we can resume helping others whether it be at work or home. Have a peaceful evening. :flwrysmile:

15.5 week update... I saw the physician's assistant for a followup appointment and it went really well! Restrictions lifted and I can go to the special yoga class for physical therapy patients! Yay!

While she noted "significant" muscle atrophy due to the nerve damage, she was visibly and pleasantly surprised with how strong I am and how my mobility has improved. I was in pretty rough shape last time she saw me.

I have a lot of strengthing work to do, but I'm going to approach it slow and steady, as I have been (except for a couple of little ODIC episodes). My last day at work for this school year is tomorrow, and I'm sad, but I need to focus on my health right now. (Physical and emotional) Whew!

@Schaargi Nice to see you in a more positive place. Yes, these are tough times for everyone. I think you have done very well with this complicated recovery.

Do take the strengthening work very slowly. Those muscles are bound to complain at first. Easy does it! The yoga class sounds ideal!

Do take the strengthening work very slowly. Those muscles are bound to complain at first. Easy does it! The yoga class sounds ideal!

Thanks, @Jaycey! I was going to ask about that, and ask about the clamshells. Should I avoid them, even at 16 weeks?

I will take it slowly, though, sometimes to the frustration of those around me. When it comes to working out, I can be a bit of a wimp.:whistle:

I've got time to focus and work slowly. Thanks for the reply!

That yoga class, yum. It'll be strengthening, too, I bet. We need a Yoga Emoji. Enjoy. :SUNsmile:

I hate clamshells. YMMV. More generally here's my emphatically personal and not medical strategy for any new exercises: Try a few (6 or less), making sure with your hand that you are using the right body part to accomplish them. Then wait a couple days to make sure they were OK. Do both sides, since working the non-op side while stabilizing with the op side has its own effects.

Last edited:
I was going to ask about that, and ask about the clamshells. Should I avoid them, even at 16 weeks?
What is the reason you are wanting to do clamshells? I'm with cstinchcomb - I don't like them - probably because every PT I have ever worked with insists on prescribing them no matter what you are getting physio for. Clamshells don't do a thing for new hips. And in my experience they will make you sore.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie