THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

Here I am at about 9 1/2 weeks and it's been a week of ups and downs. I started work from home full time on Monday and it took me down! I thought working from home would be less physically taxing. Not! With all the back-to-back online calls, I didn't take the time to ice and rest and do my laps around the house. By Wednesday night, I was a mess. I was in so much pain that I had to call in sick (from home-), take an oxycodone and rested with ice the whole day. Much better this morning, but that was a bit of a wakeup call. I had no idea working from home would hurt. Now I know...

On other notes, My hip flexor is better (that dry needling helps, @zauberflöte :yes:), and my quads continue to make tiny little improvements. I feel optimistic that my leg will straighten soon. I'm feeling more stable and can walk around the house a bit without the cane. I went to my mom's and rode the bike for 15 minutes, took a break, and did another 10 minutes. Still no resistance, but my stamina is improving.

I'm also trying little yoga poses and am looking forward to trying the rehab yoga at the place I do my physical therapy.

School officially starts in 10 days. I am meeting with my surgeon this Wednesday and hope to get a couple more weeks off and a phased in return. I shouldn't have tried to work from home with such intensity. Lesson learned. Sometimes the only way to find the line is to cross it, right?

@Schaargi Now you see why we recommend at least 10-12 weeks off and then a Phased return to work. And yes, working from home is working. Recovery tends to take a back seat when you are trying to catch up with work. I'm glad you are going to ask for a bit more time off. Take care!

Hi, hippy pal.
You are certainly making progress but there is definitely an ebb and flow, was for me the first 6 months and I didn't have the hiccup of the nerve issue.
I am meeting with my surgeon this Wednesday and hope to get a couple more weeks off and a phased in return
Really smart!

Lesson learned. Sometimes the only way to find the line is to cross it, right?
Yes, I also had to learn things the hard way ..
Bonesmart folk we're very patient with me and reassuring. I could be hard headed and especially if I read advice that started out..Most people...but of course I'm not Most people:heehee:
Usually it went like
:doh: why did I do that? Then shortly after...:doh::doh:why did I do that again.
My lessons we're usually learned after 3 headslaps
:doh::doh::doh:
Oh, okay...Got it. :whistle:

You are doing well and need your time to do what is best for you.
It keeps getting better and better, so keep the faith.

@Schaargi ow ow ow I can only imagine! Actually, no, I know exactly how you hurt! I'm glad you are going to aim for moderation, as you know now what immoderation will do.

And thanks for the report on dry needling!

Ah jeez, @Schaargi , seems like you just can't catch a break. I hope you have the pain back under control. Hip no. 1 did not want me to sit at my desk for a while. I'm sure you'll find some adaptations now that you know the outcome.

I'm also trying little yoga poses and am looking forward to trying the rehab yoga at the place I do my physical therapy.

These classes sound ... so excellent. I hope you are able to go, that you enjoy them and of course that they are beneficial. I miss yoga class.

My hip flexor is better
This is *great* news, even with the other ODIC problems ...

I am meeting with my surgeon this Wednesday and hope to get a couple more weeks off and a phased in return.

Sounds like a plan. I hope that it's not too difficult to get the Powers That Be to approve this.

:console2:

Thanks, @cstinchcomb and @zauberflöte, I appreciate your support!

I see it as a good thing that I had that wake-up call. Now I know what happens when I forget to take breaks, and it's good that I found that out now and not partway into the school year.

I honestly thought I could ease in by working at home. It cuts out the commute time and effort. (Although I can't drive yet. There's that.) Working from home definitely minimizes the danger of getting bumped and I have an easier time when I need to transition to icing or other self care, but @Jaycey, you are right, work is work.

I waffle between believing I can ease in to the school year and wondering if I should just cut as a completely for a few weeks so I don't get carried away and forget to take a break. Lots to consider.

You guys are the best.

Just keep thinking and you will choose the best course. Sometimes it is hard to make oneself the priority but this is the time to really consider how important a good recovery is for you and for many years to come. You deserve to put yourself first. Have a peaceful evening.

After much thought and a giant dose of anxiety, I took a big step today and told my employer I would need to take the next two weeks of work off, starting Monday, and then will work with my surgeon for a phased return. Super scary.

I feel bad, as school starts on Monday and everyone is pretty desperate. But I looked at the teaching schedule I would be on and thought about my meltdown last week after working 3 somewhat challenging days from home. It would be much worse if I crashed in the middle of the first week with kids. It would be even more of a scramble to get someone to cover for me and I might end up setting my recovery back even more.

As it stands, substitutes are pretty scarce, and this person would need to teach online (live, on camera), so it will be an unusual assignment.

I am focused on writing really good sub plans so whomever covers can be successful. It was a really hard decision. I am working out details now and hope that it doesn't affect anyone too adversely. Whew! I'm used to being the person other people can count on. Kind of upsetting, but necessary.

Not easy, but likely to get you really recovered and back at it sooner, in the medium term. I hope that, after you've been the supportive one for years , your colleagues and administration can step up for you now.

The mind is willing but the body has its own schedule.

I had a very strong sense of obligation to my job and I know you don't want to be another piece in a very hard puzzle that educators are trying to sort in order to educate our children during a pandemic.
It was definitely the right thing to do as the investment of extra time in your recovery will certainly pay out in huge dividends later.
You have done so well despite the hiccups, so keep the faith friend.:friends:

Your dedication is admirable as is the fact that you want to be the best you can be upon your return. I’m sorry it caused you much anxiety and hope you’re breathing easier now.
It seems you made the right choice for both yourself, and your students. I can’t imagine being a teacher in the days if Covid. It has to be challenging. Hats off to you!
I hope you have a peaceful week of recovery.
Happy Tuesday! :flwrysmile:
@Schaargi

It is hard to put ourselves and our health first. I am sorry you had the extra stress of this decision. Being able to return in better physical condition will be of benefit to your students.

@Schaargi I know you wrestled long and hard with this. I think you've made the right decision. Making detailed sub plans will help your sub immensely, for sure. And it gives you something to concentrate on. Is it "a thing" that you can make yourself available to the sub every so often? Or are you wanting to stay right back out of it?

Hats off to you! It was not an easy thing to do in light of all circumstances. Another thing to consider: once you’re back, everyone expects you to be back, 100%. The first few days, people are mindful to a point. After that, all bets are off. People have good intentions but they’re still human. So you want to be as close to “ready” physically and mentally as you can be. I was truly blessed with a boss who saw it that way when I had to keep delaying my return (which I have NEVER regretted.) She wanted me back healthy and able to do my job. Have a great appointment with your OS tomorrow. I really don’t believe many are ever disappointed in our recovery progress. They understand everyone is on a different healing schedule with different life demands and are happy to work with you where you are. Keep us posted.

On a positive note, I am feeling stronger and more steady every day! My numb leg continues to show tiny improvements and I am confident that I will be able to walk well and maybe even drive a stick shift car.

Yesterday, the assistent principal emailed me and asked again if I would consider coming back full time on Monday, stating that they would accomodate my health condition by allowing me to work at home. I declined. @Jaycey, I used your phrase and told them that "working is working" (remembering how I crashed last week due to working from home). I feel badly because I know they are desperate, but I just can't physically or mentally do it.

I had the appointment with my surgeon this morning and he was not supportive at all! He seemed to be in a hurry and didn't want to listen to my situation. He wanted to know what I could and couldn't do; when I said I needed 2 weeks off, that didn't seem to fit the format for his letter. So, I am starting work on Monday, from home, 5 hours a day max, with breaks required every hour.

I notified my principal, who hasn't gotten back to me regarding what I will be doing for those 5 hours. They are really desperate, as teachers are dropping like flies and there aren't enough subs to cover. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't cause a dispute over whether lesson planning, grading, and dealing with parents and emails counts as part of those 5 hours. I think I can do it if those other duties are included. Not so much if I'm stuck in front of a webcam for 5 hours delivering lessons. Wish me luck!

Oh @Schaargi arrgghh re the OS/principal double teaming you. I hope you hear positively about all the admin work being included in your 5 hours. If it's not, of course you suddenly are working full time and they don't know how badly they Do Not want you to crash.

Your little tutorial video was great! One does have to make sure the socks are loose enough at the top to get your foot into. I was fortunate-- both my recoveries were in hot weather, and I had no need of socks. Slip-on Keen Whisper Slides (no longer made, more's the pity) completed the summer ensemble.

Happy that you're starting to feel stronger and steadier. It's always amazed me how you'll notice little changes here and there.

Sorry the surgeon wasn't supportive to your needs. I think some of them have a timeline set in their head and if you don't meet that they take it as an affront to their work. :heehee: And unfortunately I've found with mine that if it doesn't deal with the implant itself he doesn't really seem interested and is more than happy to push it off to my GP.

Hopefully the principal will just be so happy that you're going to be coming back (via home), even part time that he will make sure they don't let you overdo. Definitely make sure they understand you need your hourly breaks, maybe even more. Express that they really want you to heal/recover the best you possibly can so you can be there for the long hall. Like you always are! :yes!:

Try to figure how to make yourself as comfortable as possible, keep ice close by so you can use it while you're sitting at your desk.

I am so sorry that you could not get the extra two weeks. I am amazed that the surgeon would not agree (Boos for him). I am glad that you will try to limit to 5hrs. As Elf suggested make sure you have ice handy and if possible a way to elevate the leg and also to stand up and move around a bit. I hope your principal will remain understanding. Sending positive vibes that all goes well. Also, try not to do much besides the working from home.

I understand that the principal is desperately trying to access all resources.. you can be as accommodating and charitable as Mother Teresa....once you take care of You.
Don't feel guilty... This is truly an investment in your future and will eventually benefit everyone.
Hugsxxx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom