THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

Wait. I just went back and read a reply I wrote to someone else who was discouraged and realize that I need to back off if it hurts, just like I told her. Sheesh.

You found your own answer. How wonderful. Take it easy and listen to your body and your hip. Patience is the one muscle that really needs exercising with recovery.

I hope you have a good evening and night. :console2: :sleep:

Thanks, everyone!

Yes, I have been use the walker instead of the cane if I'm someplace I don't feel comfortable (anywhere out of the house). It wasn't so much a full blown fall, it was more of a crumple, so I don't think it really affected my hip. I crumpled onto my hands and knees and then sat to the side. But I am being ultra careful now for sure.

I have a physical therapy appointment tomorrow and will talk to her about it. I've had increased pain for about a week. I am still on Tylenol and Tramadol. I just dropped the aspirin.

More later!

I still have the burning question-- I feel like my pain is not necessarily due to the surgery since it feels exactly like the pain I had before the surgery. It doesn't feel like it comes from my wound, except for some tenderness at the drain site. Should I worry?

Good:hi: morning.

So without the extra pain meds, my pain is in the same places it was before surgery

Can you be more specific about the location of your pain and how it manifests?
The fall most likely didn't affect the implant but that soft tissue has been seriously traumatized and it may have angered it a bit more with the odd movements.
Also important to remember that we are not only recovering from the surgery, but from the years of bad gait, limited mobility and all the rest that comes from bad hips.
That's why PT or physical exercise needs to happen very incrementally so that things can retrain and adjust.

I have a physical therapy appointment tomorrow and will talk to her about it. I've had increased pain for about a week.
Could something you’re doing in PT be the cause of your pain?

I still have the burning question-- I feel like my pain is not necessarily due to the surgery since it feels exactly like the pain I had before the surgery.
Consider stepping away from PT for a week, or two, rest as time allows and ice. Let your body recover from your fall and see how you feel then.

If you continue to be troubled by the pain you describe, contact your surgeon’s office and let a member of his care team decide whether you need to be examined. It may bring the peace of mind you’re seeking.

Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.

When I have/had pain, it's in the same area of my butt that had pain prior to surgery -- but that's where the surgery was. And the groin area, with your sleepy quad, maybe the psoas and other hip flexors & tendons there have been doing most of the work while in a weakened state given the location of the incision. Take the drugs you need and ice up. Hugs.

I still have the burning question-- I feel like my pain is not necessarily due to the surgery since it feels exactly like the pain I had before the surgery. It doesn't feel like it comes from my wound, except for some tenderness at the drain site. Should I worry?
To answer your question, no! Do not worry! :)Worry is bad for healing. You've gotten some good ideas since you posted that question, from the best sources. You should try all that, but the Empress of Worrying is telling you, Don't Worry!:heehee::yes::ice:

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate your thoughts!

@Mojo333 Yes, it might be related to bad gait and compensation from before the surgery. My pain has been consistent from before my surgery in the following areas: in my hip flexor (about an inch away from the wound) when I flex my hip-- any time I lift my leg or knee, and sometimes when I do heel slides. My glutes (mostly toward the side of my hip) are also painful when I use them. Walking aggravates them as well as anything that might resemble the beginning of a clam exercise.

Also, my back is tight. It's that spot that tightens up when my psoas and hip flexors tighten up.

@cstinchcomb I suspect you are correct when you say that those muscles are working extra hard due to my weak quads.

@Layla I am currently staying away from any movements that hurt and have expressed that to my physical therapist. I dont think it's anything she's specifically doing. I have backed off the exercises she gave me that hurt. I will give my surgeon a holller if I don't get a sufficient answer.

Clam shells are definitely not helpful so that would be the first thing I dropped.
I know it is hard to think that things people say will strengthen at thos stage only keep annoyed parts annoyed.
Time will definitely heal and toning and strengthening can come later.
Healing mojo coming your way, my hippy pal.

I don't have much to report but here goes...

At 7 weeks:

My previously dead quads are definitely showing improvement. I can do the long arc quad exercise and get my foot almost straight! They are still numb but it's such a great relief that they are responding. I can go up a tiny stair, too! (Well, not actually a stair. It's technically a dictionary.) The electrical stimulation has helped immensely. I am so relieved. I have hope for recovery from the nerve damage.

My pain, however, is slightly worse. My physical therapist said to back off of anything that hurts, which I was already doing for the most part. Walking is hurting a bit, though, in the side of my glutes, but it helps with a cane or walker.

The school year is looming and I'm having some anxiety about that. My school has started to unveil plans that make me feel safer. It's definitely going to be a much more controlled situation than usual. I have approval to work from home until the kids come amd will have an appointment with my surgeon to reevaluate right before that happens. I have plenty to do so at least I feel productive.

I'm going to be a slug tomorrow and this weekend. Gotta get this pain under control! Icing isn't helping lately so I am going to use some gentle massage techniques and gentle stretching.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Hey @Schaargi, thinking of you ... howzit going?
Hi @cstinchcomb!
As I said in the last post, the nerve damaged quad is responding and I'm thrilled! Unfortunately, I have some pain that has flared up in my glutes and hip flexors. I was a complete couch potato last night and today. I iced and barely even walked. I have a physical therapy appointment tomorrow afternoon so I will continue the couch potato routine until I meet with her to see if it helps. She told me to lay off of everything that hurts, so I stayed away from EVERYTHING!

Thanks for checking in. I sure appreciate your swimming posts. I've been a lifelong swimmer and haven't been in a pool now for almost 10 months. I wasnt kiding when I said I could almost smell the chlorine when you were describing your swim.

I'm so sorry that you're still having pain. I think that once the soft tissues or tendons are annoyed, it can take some time for them to recover. Couch potato sounds good. Elevation might be good. Legs up wall might help. If ice isn't working, does heat help?

I sure hope you are feeling better and can get back in the pool soon; it's really something to miss. :console2:

I complained about the pool being closed for all of my pre-op thread.

The *great* news is that your quad is waking up!! Hopefully it can continue to wake up without making everything else any more cranky.

I had a good day today! Although my pain is still the same, I decided to hitch a ride over to my mom's and tried her recumbent bike for the first time. I went down the stairs (one leg at a time), put the bike seat almost all the way back, set the resistance to zero, and pedaled gently for 3 minutes. I took a little break and did another little 5 minute set, rested, and went slowly back up the stairs (super carefully). It didn't activate my pain at all and it felt good to be doing something different!

Awesome news, Schaargi!
I like your measured approached. You’re wise to take it slow, gradually adding time and resistance. Another week and you’ll be two months post op already. Time sure flies.
Keep up the good work and have a wonderful Sunday!
@Schaargi

Riding my recumbent stationary bike was my first big exercise. No resistance and short periods of time is wise. It comes back but slow and steady is always best. I hope you have a peaceful Sunday.

I’ve been catching up. If you don’t mind me asking, what are quad arcs? Could they be irritating/aggravating already overworked hip flexors? :what:

Hi @Hip4life!

Long arc quads--Start from a seated position and lift your foot in an arc until your knee is straight. I haven't gotten my knee straight yet, but am so excited about the improvements.

The first few days after my surgery I couldn't move my foot at all. After a couple of days, my quad trembled a little and I could move my foot about an inch. Now it's definitely higher than 45 degrees!

Long arc quads are about the only exercise that doesn't aggravate my hip flexors and glutes. In that position, I am somehow able to isolate my quads so the other muscles don't try to help.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts