THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

Hi @Schaargi!

Well done, you are so self-disciplined. I. Resolve. To. Do. Better! I shall give the after dinner routine a try, at least I'll be able to enjoy the rest of the day without feeling guilty. I love your PT - I'll have a day off too, I'll look forward to that! Just wondering, any chance I could I borrow your mom to help keep me on track? :rotfl:

Hope your appointment on the 8th gives you some answers. Best wishes.

I thought I would post my PT's home exercise philosophy with the hopes that it might help others who hate the exercises and are overwhelmed.

When I started getting overwhelmed with too many, my physical therapist had me break my exercises into two sets. She also helped me prioritize so I could see progress. Two sets a week gives each set of muscles a day to regenerate. As I get stronger, I add or drop exercises to keep it manageable.

I got the new set of exercises because all my old exercises were aggravating my groin pain (even walking). So she told me to back up and focus on the basics first.

I do 7 exercises on one day and 7 on the other day. Stretches, butt clenches and walking every day (although walking and biking are painful now, so backing off on that). This helps me feel success. I can also concentrate more on each exercise instead of trying to get through all of them, which will benefit my muscles. (Quality, not quantity)

One good thing about doing my exercises in the evening is that I can do some in the morning if I'm motivated and then I don't have to do it at night. Or I can do something extra if it feels right.

Last edited:
One more week of PT home exercises done! I have physical therapy appointments this week, and then an appointment with my surgeon's physician assistant on Thursday. Hoping to have some imaging done so that we can get this groin pain figured out. That's all for now!

Last edited:
I met with the physician's assistant regarding my stabbing pain on my formerly "good" hip. She didn't really want much of an update; just confirmation that the cortisone shot and PT aren't working so that she could write an order for an MRI. She noted that the surgeon had suspected a labral tear and that would likely require another hip replacement (I'm not a good candidate for a labral repair and the cortisone shot didn't work).

So I will keep doing my home exercises. If it happens that I'm headed for another surgery, these exercises work for pre-op, too.

That's all for now!

Had a rough few days this week with the groin pain and the doctor appointment that wasn't helpful at all (except that I will be getting an MRI), but I still managed to do my home exercises.

That's all!

Its been a pretty good week.

1. I got my second COVID vaccine!
2. I did all the exercises this week that don't hurt. I had to back off on a couple that are aggravating my formerly "good" hip, plus my arm is KILLING me so I skipped another one yesterday.
3. My sister in another state is having hip problems. She just got an MRI, so I am waiting on mine to be approved so that my sis and I can compare.
4. The numbness from my previous femoral nerve damage is almost gone and that leg is working pretty well. It will be one year in June.

Hope everyone is doing well!

I know it's been a long haul @Schaargi, but it sounds like things are finally falling in place for you. We always say this recovery can take at least 12 months, and yours has definitely been one of the longer ones. But I'm really looking forward to hear how your are feeling one June 9th, 2021. I'm thinking it will be a really good report! :flwrysmile:

Aaaaaaannnndddd... I'm down again. :tantrum:

My former "good" hip is being really mean to me. It seized up and collapsed at physical therapy on Wednesday (I hadn't done anything difficult or unusual). I had had that issue at home periodically, usually in the evenings after being on my feet cooking dinner. My PT told me to skip my exercises for a couple of days. I'm on Day 4 of skipping exercises and it's not any better. Just activities of daily living aggravate it. So frustrating.

I finally got an MRI scheduled for May 17. I know surgery is coming and need to decide whether or not to stay with the same surgeon.

Pros: He's a meticulous surgeon, he comes highly recommended by physical therapists, and he knows me and my physiology. (Part of the nerve damage was that I had a super sensitive nerve).

Cons: He's not supportive if things go wrong and tends to think it's the patient's fault if healing isn't on the schedule he expects.

It feels like I'm gambling and playing the odds. I hate to start over at finding a surgeon. :sorry:

I’m sorry your hip is acting up @Schaargi Wishing you comfort as you make decisions.

That is a tough one in regard to your surgeon. I wonder if getting a second opinion with another reputable surgeon, or two, will help solidify whether you want to go with the old / familiar, or use someone new that feels more supportive, less judgmental?
I wish you only the best no matter what your choice is. :)

I'm sorry to hear you're having this trouble, @Schaargi. I hope that whatever you decide to do, the outcome is successful and brings an end to all the problems you've had.

Sorry I didn't post last night. Our family had the first family gathering in over a year yesterday! We are all vaccinated except for the younger kids and, although exhausting, it was great! We had 12 out of 15 people in our extended family. Whew!

Needless to say, I skipped my exercises for 2 days, as preparing and participating took a lot of energy.

I have dropped physical therapy until after my MRI. I can do the exercises at home (the ones that don't hurt) and it's just the waiting game now to see what the test results yield.

Oh, man, the pain on my formerly good side is getting worse. It's pretty steady between a 2 and 3 level when I'm just sitting around. But after I get up and going, the pain increases to 5-7 and will shoot up to a 10 if I put weight on it incorrectly. I have to be excruciatingly careful while walking, pivoting or turning; even a weight shift can suddenly set off a stabbing pain ( it feels like something is stuck). So I'm moving gently and tentatively, as though I'm trying not to "wake the baby."

I went to Target two days ago to buy a graduation card and that was rough. Getting from the parking lot to the card section and back was horrible. I got home and iced. When I (gently) got up, another stabbing pain. This has happened several times now after icing. Could the icing be making it worse when I'm pre-op? Heat doesn't seem to help, either. So frustrating. The number of PT exercises that don't hurt have dwindled.

My MRI is on Thursday and my follow-up appointment with the surgeon is May 26.

I feel like I should be back on the pre-op thread... Whom should I contact to change the name of my thread?

I’m sorry to read this, Schaargi. :console2:
Many of us most likely remember the pain you describe all too well. I know I do. I cringed reading about the pivoting. Ugh. Also, as you mentioned navigating Target, it brought back memories of looking for the closest parking spot in the lot, leaning heavily on the shopping cart while in the store and grabbing only what you need, longing for the respite of your car seat. Aagh...I remember it well.

I wish you the best with your appointments this week. Let us know how it goes if you feel like sharing.

Wishing you lots of comfort and a good week. :console2:
@Schaargi

Just post on this thread what new title you'd like and we'll get it changed for you.
Thanks! On a positive note, I want to change it to:

Nerve damaged conquered! Other hip hurts

Is that too long?

Thanks, you guys are the best.

Got my MRI (with contrast) today, so I'm hoping it will show what the heck is hurting so much. The x-rays didn't show much wrong, only mild arthritis that wouldn't merit this kind of pain, so I'm hoping for something more definitive.

I can't wait to get back up and moving!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom