TKR Fellow December Supernovas

Rubyroo

graduate
Country
United States United States
Hello fellow December 2021 Supernovas,
How is everyone doing? Are you all thinking lots about your upcoming surgery? I am! Trying to think of things to take care of ahead of time, things I need to have ready to roll as soon as I get home from the hospital etc. Trying to stay positive and feel a bit more prepared since this is Round #2 for me. But I also feel anxious as well. I’ll turn 60 years old on December 18th- so I’m getting a new knee for my birthday! :fingersx:. Hope to meet some of you & have some buddies through this journey of round 2.

@Rubyroo

Thank you for your interest in other members of the December Supernovas surgical team group. I moved your post to a new pre op thread so you can all check in with each other here. We prefer that the monthly surgical threads stay as a record of surgeries for the month only, so we ask that you share updates or messages on the Pre-Op or Recovery Forums.

Happy posting, and Best Wishes to all of you!:flwrysmile:

Hello December 2021 Supernovas,
Best to on your December 18th surgery!

I can't think of anything except my right knee replacement surgery of December 16th...

I'm also considering getting both knees done at the same time. Doctor confirmed bone-on-bone in both knees. I'm 71. 3rd surgery ever: broken ankle 2014 (motorcycle accident) and reverse should replacement 2019. Difficult decision, but I can't think of doing this again in a year or so. Your thoughts?

@16December 2021 Deciding whether to do do both knees at once is a big decision. My best friend had both of hers done at once- she said it was as if you’d have had twins- you wouldn’t know anything different & she only had to do it one time. I would also imagine it depends on what kind of support system you have & who all would be able to provide care for you.

Oh, so good to hear something about this surgery, and from a fellow North Carolinian. I'm from Tarboro, just outside of Rocky Mount. Thank you for reaching out to me.

It's just my husband and I in the house. I have already planned for support to come in and help out with house chores. Groceries will continue to be delivered. Gotta figure out something for meals, but the neighbors, nearby friends and family are a great support.

I'm checking my insurance for in-house Physical therapy, especially if my doctor agrees to do both at the same time. Both knees are bone on bone, dang high heel shoes, and some weight!!! I'm mostly worried about pain management. I came home with a pain (nerve) block when I had right shoulder reverse replacement surgery in June 2019. The block was a great. The pain stories are really making me nervous. I'll stay in touch. Feeling so much better hearing from you.

@16December 2021 I'm having my second knee replaced on the 7th of December, whilst Bilateral replacement is not an option in Portugal ( They only do 1 knee at a time with a1-2 year interval unless it's an accident), the pain I think must be the same for 1or 2 knees, plus side is you get them both over and done with as opposed to having to do it twice.
Although it was painful at the beginning, until I got my medication sorted, it's a pain you soon forget and the advantage is that, within a year you will lose that awful daily/nightly nagging pain of bone on bone. I'm 2 years from my last surgery and my left leg is now strong and pain free, I'm looking forward to being able to say the same about my right one xxx

@Rubyroo oh wow what a way to spend your 60th birthday - will you be going home after surgery or a night in hospital , I was 60 in June this year, and like you having my 2nd replacement, it's my Christmas present haha :banana-santa: I completed all my pre-surgery exams today, MRI, electrocardiogram, Xrays etc etc so count down begins, to take my mind off things, I've started planning for Christmas, buying in goodies and sorting out the decorations, although my husband and friends are doing all the catering I know if he goes shopping the tasty naughty stuff will be left on the shelves:heehee: Likewise I will buy a few gifts as again after surgery I don't think I will have the mindset. My motto is keep my mind/body busy, soon I will have plenty of time to rest xx

I'm also considering getting both knees done at the same time. Doctor confirmed bone-on-bone in both knees.
I have a close friend who did both knees at same time. She said that she probably wouldn't that again. Recovery was very difficult, she spent over a week in a rehab facility after 4 days in hospital. You never have a good leg to stand on. I was asking my PT about it and he said they rarely see it done anymore due to extended time under anesthesia and potential blood loss. Interestingly he said if it was done there are 2 surgeons, one on each knee to shorten the operation.

@Sara61 Good for you that you got all the pre-op stuff done today. I will be relieved once I get mine done but mine isn’t till November 29th. Getting the pre-op tests done makes you realize this Round 2 of surgery is really happening . I am literally counting down the days each day.

I have a close friend who did both knees at same time. She said that she probably wouldn't that again. Recovery was very difficult, she spent over a week in a rehab facility after 4 days in hospital. You never have a good leg to stand on. I was asking my PT about it and he said they rarely see it done anymore due to extended time under anesthesia and potential blood loss. Interestingly he said if it was done there are 2 surgeons, one on each knee to shorten the operation.
I'm sorry your friend felt that her recovery was difficult with a bilateral knee replacement. Most of our members who have both bad knees replaced at once are very happy with the outcome and to only have one surgery and recovery to deal with. Your therapist is wrong that bilateral surgery isn't done much anymore. It most certainly is an option for a lot of patients who have a surgeon experienced in that procedure. But your therapist was correct that many times a partner will do one leg and your surgeon the other. This does help reduce the surgery time (obviously) and is beneficial for you as the patient.

For anyone considering a bilateral knee replacement, weigh the pros and cons and discuss it with your surgeon. Ask questions about how the procedure might be done. Then decide if it is right for you.

My surgery is December 10th
Daft me, of course it is, as I knew you were just a days after me why my brain thought otherwise is beyond me :unsure: , not sure why my pre-ops were done so early, I think it might have something to do with delivery as apparently the new prosthesis comes from the United States, so the surgeon needs to view the MRI then order the parts to fit.xx

There is no doubt that BTKR is a challenge for the first while, but the shortened overall recovery time did it for me! See my recovery thread (link from my signature, below).

@Jamie Perhaps I should have clarified my statement about bilateral not being done much anymore, to say that in my area they rarely see both knees replaced simultaneously any more.

There is no doubt that BTKR is a challenge for the first while, but the shortened overall recovery time did it for me! See my recovery thread (link from my signature, below).
@Roy Gardiner link failed to attach itself.

Do you mean, you clicked the recovery link and it didn't open?

1636532676378.png

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks