TKR Fell today ouch

Mal 492

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi guys
My first article I live in England and thank you for the add
I have had both knees replaced in the past two years
From being able to barely walk I’m now working full time walking 30 miles a week 12 miles longest walk cycling weight training
I’ve lost 50lb this year and for the first time in 14 years I’m pain free
The ops went great both knees totally different the first was a difficult one pain bladder issues in hospital reaction to meds but pain free
Second was different out of of hospital in 48 hours but lots of pain for four weeks then wham perfect I was back at work in 6 weeks
My question guys is I was a marathon runner I love the marathon and miss it dreadfully
My surgeon says I can’t run again but can walk
Does anyone have any experience of walking a marathon with both knees replaced
I plan long term in doing the Florida Disney marathon walking it
Any advice please

Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us.

@RunA42K is back to walking both half marathons and full marathons. She is not around much but may see the tag if she checks in.

Please post your surgery dates, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

Thank you
i had first feb 2018 second August 2018

@Mal 492
Here is a Link to RunA42K's thread where she talks about her marathons.

Please let us know which knee was done when, and if you can remember the exact date of your surgeries.

A moderator will add the additional information to your signature, thanks!

I’m now working full time walking 30 miles a week 12 miles longest walk cycling weight training
:thumb: great, excellent exercise programme. No impact on the knees
I was a marathon runner I love the marathon and miss it dreadfully
I can believe that, a great sport.
My surgeon says I can’t run again but can walk
You can also cycle, and cycling is a great sport. If you miss sport rather than the marathon specifically, the nearest thing in cycling would be the 100-mile time trial. The 'time trial' is an individual event against the clock, fastest time wins. https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk is the governing body for time trials, which vary from 10 to 25, 30, 50, 100 miles and 12 and 24 hours (where, obv, the greatest distance wins). Anyone can enter a time trial. Some events (not many I admit) are specifically aimed at those with little previous experience.

Alternatively there are 'sportive' events such as the Ride London where you compete in a group on closed roads with (sometimes) crowds along the route.

Worth a thought?

The first knee replaced was the right knee 8 feb 2018 then 3 August 2018;the left
I get swelling on outer right knee occasionally bruising to but no pain just stiffness

After 2 years of dread it finally happened I fell full whack bang on my left knee replacement,,,,
I was at work I tripped and fell knee on rock hard concrete floor
Panic panic shook up I lay there for a while and thankfully got up ok
My knee feels ok I hope just bruising and sore now
So scary

@Mal 492
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Mal 492,
Our prosthesis are pretty strong and are not bothered by a fall. Your soft tissue around your knee may be sore and painful, they will recover with a little time.

Thank you for help and comforting words
It’s real scary though when it happens the first time though,,,,
I went with such a thud I feared the worse

It is scary, you feel like you may have broken every thing into little pieces, :scaredycat:.
Once we realize everything is OK it is a relief.

Your so right
I lay there seemed lime an eternity just hoping and praying I was ok

@Mal 492 Sorry you had a fall. Don't be surprised if you have aches and pains in many areas within the next few days. Falls are jarring and the body reacts to the impact.

The good news is that knee implant is very strong!

Thank you
Your spot on the knee is really bruising up and aches are everywhere but thank god the knee seems to be ok

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back