TKR Fell on knee

There's nothing wrong with checking in with your doctor.

I would call my surgeon, also. My surgeon was good about getting me in for a quick check in the early weeks if needed.

I’m heading up to the ER.
Ortho surgeon on call wants to put my knee in a stabilizer. He said it’s way too swollen and will take forever to come down. I have no idea what a stabilizer is can anyone explain it to me when I beable to walk?

I’m home. Going to see my ortho this afternoon. He will determine how long stabilizer stays on. No PT for now. That’s what caused the staple to start leaking. And there is a lot of fluid in the knee. But no infection!
Knee is very sore from sitting in ER for 3 hrs, getting in and out of a car, than waiting in the bk room for another 3 hours to be seen by ER doc, than ortho PA.

I’m glad you’re back home. I hope you rest well. :console2:

You need to ice and elevate and walk around just enough to do your daily activities until that swelling comes down. That aggressive PT set you back and now you need to baby that newborn knee! If PT calls and wants to come, tell them no. That's what I did. I did all my own pt myself. That way I was in total control and had no one around that was going to talk me into doing something to harm my recovery!

You need to ice and elevate and walk around just enough to do your daily activities until that swelling comes down.

I concur with @sistersinhim. I am 2 months today post BTKR and I am nearly back to normal.

This site helped me decide the best course of action, which was ice, rest & elevate with simple tasks of going to the toilet and walking to the fridge etc.

No exercise, no heel slides, nothing. Because I allowed my body time to recover from all accounts, major surgery I was able to be on a stationary bike at 2 weeks, driving at 3 weeks and full push bike. But, I did these things gradually, I listened to what my body was saying. And sometimes when I over did it, it told me !

Slow and steady is the way to go.

Good luck.

Yes I saw my ortho. I’m in the stabilizer for 2 more days because I’m concerned about staples leaking and swelling. Doc said I could take it off but I’d rather be safe than sorry!
Doc was concerned about extension because it took me awhile to get the other one completely flat. I’m only 2 wks out! And my knee has been super swollen!!
Doc also put me on antibiotics.
Home healthcare nurse coming to the house tomorrow to take the staples out. I’m not letting him do any PT at me. I’m supposed to go for my first visit to PT on Friday but I think I’m gonna cancel . At this point I’m scared! Scared of infection, scared of the pain from pt scared I won’t get me bend or extension. This was suppose to be my easier knee. I’m so mad for falling on it. I’m crying as I write this .!

Oh! I can’t ice until tomorrow when stabilizer comes off. It’s so thick wouldn’t feel the ice.

It is pretty normal to have a swollen knee for a few weeks after TKR surgery. I was in an immbolizer brace for 4-6 weeks after an infection surgery.the brace kept my knee straight. I kept it elevated but as you said ice is pretty useless, but keeping my knee elevated and rested really made the swelling go down. Has the stabilizer helped your swelling?

:console2:Of course you’re scared, we all would be in your position.

Your knee/leg will come through this fine. Try to believe that. As Karri said, resting and elevating is very good for it.

I firmly believe it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

Try to relax. Wait a while for PT. It’s not necessary at this early date. When the brace comes off, gentle movements are all you need. :console2:

I think so. The OS nurse took it off yesterdays to the doctor look at my knee and it could look like it gone dad a little bit to me .
What do you think about PT?
how long should I wait to start PT? I really don’t know what to do at this point.

Other than walking alittle bit what would be considered gentle movements?

I think your knee needs to heal more, especially after the added soreness of falling, so if it was me, I would wait for PT. How long? Well, I’m not in favor of formal PT in a facility, so I would say don’t even go. My PT caused me a lot of unnecessary set backs, and did nothing to actually help me recover. But, just because my experience was bad doesn’t mean everyone’s is. I would wait a couple of weeks, or more, before going, if you want to go.

Gentle movements would be just small bends, no pain, not even any discomfort, just bend a little bit to move the joint. As you heal, you’ll be able to gradually bend a little more.

I agree with Jockette - no PT. You need to let that knee settle and then only gentle stretches and walking. There is plenty of time to increase your range of motion. For now, let that knee settle from the trauma of your fall.

I wouldn't rush into PT. See how you get on for a few weeks with letting your activities of daily living be your PT.

Can someone suggest gentle Exercises to work on my extension? My OS told me it’s harder to get extension than it is to get the bend.
and when I was in there yesterday and doc was checking knee He said I’m about four.
he seem concerned.
But there’s nothing I can do right now!
I have a stabilizer on and I want to make sure the staples are not leaking. And my knee was swollen as big as a melon.
So I’m torn! I’m torn because I really believe the bone smart way is the right way.
but then you have your doctor over here telling you need to be at this number.
It’s Causing me a lot of anxiety which I don’t need .

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back