• UPDATED!!!! SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Wednesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Feeling like a fraud

Lis

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello , I'm 43 post left pelvis replacment with full hip replacment , I had major bone loss with no socket and the surgeon has worked miracles. I have gone from full time wheel chair user to walking with just 1 crutch in 6 weeks, there are movements which are difficult like coming down stairs and lifing left the leg from a sitting position, but I am walking well.
Everyone is saying I look great and I am so happy however I am still suffering from total urine incontinence and I have to use suppositories for bowel management, I knew prior to surgery this wouldn't be fixed during surgery however when people say you are doing amazing I feel like a fraud, I am so happy to be walking again does anyone else have any experience of this? I still have extensive nerve damage, chronic sciatica and severe OA in back with moderate in right hip

Hello Lis and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
Please leave the exact date of your surgery and identify which hip was replaced so we're able to create a signature for you.

Your personal medical history is no ones business so please don't feel like a fraud because you say you're doing well. You are doing well. You're recovering from surgery and dealing with health concerns in the best way you're able. Most people are uncomfortable with others medical business anyway and often don't know how to respond, so view keeping your business to yourself as a way of protecting others from the need to respond to something they may be uncomfortable with. I will leave our Recovery Guidelines below with best wishes for your healing journey. Please stop back often, we'd love to support and encourage you along the way! :)

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES
As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Oh my goodness you're not at all a fraud! You're maintaining healthy boundaries around your privacy!

I worked as an acute spinal cord injury rehab nurse in the 1980s. Many of our patients, who stayed for long months, were young folks who had had various types of accidents. Most of them were learning to live with the urinary and bowel issues you're experiencing.

Maybe it's different now in this internet era of oversharing, but they initially wouldn't share this info with friends or family who weren't going to be directly involved in their care. A lot of the work we did as nurses was essentially normalizing their experience so they could come to terms with it both physically and emotionally as, basically, another way of being.

Some ended up preferring to keep it private; others - usually very young adult guys getting ready to go home - might share it casually with friends who asked like "dude, this is how I do it now!"

Has you medical team discussed with you the long term prognosis for improvement in the nerve supply to bowel and bladder?

Huge relief in what you are saying as I tell no one other than the support I have required care givers and husband and you are right in a world of social media over sharing it feels like I am being secretive but I really am amazed to be walking with a crutch when 6 weeks ago I was a fulltime wheelchair user which is fabulous which is what I need to focus on and what everyone is commenting on too :)
I have CKD stage 2 , liver disease and nerve damage along with severe spine Oa and moderate right hip it was the left hip which was severe and replaced along with a new pelvis, recent MDT spoke about super public catheter and sounds like bowels may or may not improve but I am in a very good routine.
I have had NHS pads prescription for over a year due to no surgical option prior to hip surgery and as yet they have not mentioned any other treatment. Normal catheter was ruled out may 23 due to complications with repeated UIs. I do not have a medical background so just have to go with it

Exact date of surgery was 29/1/24

We're here for sharing milestones, small and large (walking is WONDERFUL!!!) plus concerns, questions, and just plain venting.

Huge relief in what you are saying as I tell no one other than the support I have required care givers and husband and you are right in a world of social media over sharing it feels like I am being secretive but I really am amazed to be walking with a crutch when 6 weeks ago I was a fulltime wheelchair user which is fabulous which is what I need to focus on and what everyone is commenting on too :)
You have come to the right place to find people to share worries with who will not pity, you but will support you. Its hard to find a balance between sharing personal issues with people, keeping some privacy, and not overburdening others. If you read more on this forum, you will notice that even if the person’s surgery is not the same as yours, we all have fears and anxieties and embarrassing problems that we are able to share and thus deal with.
It’s wonderful that you’re more mobile. I’m sure that also brings additional issues for you as you are more able to get out of the house. I hope that there are people in your life who you can talk to, and share your frustrations and laugh, and find a way to deal with your new reality. Good luck to you.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope your recovery is going well.
Consider sharing an update next time you're around, we'd love to hear from you.
All the best! @Lis

I am now 9 weeks post op , I can walk with 1 crutch for about 15/20 mins but then my right hip becomes painful , not the pain I was getting from left but enough to stop me, however it's amazing how far you can get in 15 mins like the pub :) looking forward to a summer of being able to go to places with my family and watch them play grass roots football xx

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Lis!
Let us know about the progress you've made over the past month since we last heard from you.
We'd love to read all about it. :)
Hope you have a great week!
@Lis

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran