• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Feeling better

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
@Bumper have to agree with the others, while sis may mean well, she needs to hush. Don't care what friends of friends of friends do or have done. Recovery is unique to each and everyone of us and not cookie cutter! :snork:

Tell her to chill or it's a snowball to the head for her!
:xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:

OP
OP
Bumper

Bumper

Country
Reading the last few posts from all of you regarding my sister made me chuckle :heehee:. She has treated me this way for so long I guess I am used to it. But, I know how well I am doing. I woke up today and felt better than last week. That very deep ache in my thigh seems a little less- yahoo! and no limp today!

OP
OP
Bumper

Bumper

Country
@SurreyGirl So getting in and out of my low car has been a workout, but improving everyday. Know -it - all “friends” can be very annoying lol!

Last edited:

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Most never talk about the length of recovery and many have enhanced memory. The improvements keep coming for a year and more for many.

OP
OP
Bumper

Bumper

Country
Finally at my 3 month anniversary!:yay:. I have been doing well. Still not able to put my sock on my right foot without a struggle. The last 2 nights I have been awake until 4 am because of the pain in my lower right cheek. Still some pain/numbness around incision area and still hard under the incision. I have 4 doctor appointments this month- with the hematologist for the PE in my lung from surgery, one with my RA doctor,one with my dentist, and finally one with my OS for my 4 month check up. The most bothersome is the pain in my lower right cheek- any ideas why this is more painful than it has been? I wish everyone a great New Year!!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with that pesky pain. Hopefully you'll find answers at your appointment with the OS this month.

Wondering if you've read this article from the BoneSmart Library and if it sounds like what you're experiencing?

Best of luck at all your medical appointments this month. I hope 2020 is a great year for you. Happy New Year!
@Bumper

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary! Getting your sock on without a struggle will happen and usually when you least expect it. Just kind of happens and you go, oh! :snork:

Hope you get some answers from your OS. Not sure if you've tried icing or not but would definitely be worth a shot. I'm still icing at times and I'm almost six months out.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
I'm guessing you mean butt cheek, pretty common. Mine hurt for a while last time and it's the same with this one. Stretches seem to help but do them gently, don't force it. If you had posterior ask your OS about the piriformis. It's never too late to ice either.

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Great news!
Onward and upward, friend.:friends:

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Wonderful news @Bumper I am sure it’s a huge relief to PE behind you. Passing 3 month milestone is exciting. Best wishes to you in your recovery!

ForumUser

Country
Hi bumper!

Sounds like you are ticking along on your recovery!

You are very kind to not have whacked your sis with a spatula ... or maybe a big spoon ...

While different circumstances, I asked my wife to constantly evaluate how I stood, walked, bent over, held my shoulders, etc. she was most helpful when ”yelling” at me from behind while walking (the ONLY time she has ever walked behind me). If I was limping, she told me- if one shoulder was down, she told me - if I was dragging the leg, she told me. Maybe all this so I could return to my garage duties of changing oil, rotating tires, painting walls, etc?

Ask your sis to walk with you and assist in your return to walking straight and normal?

BTW - I did zero PT ... LOTS of walking!

The point is, just now getting ready to return to the gym and work on flexibility

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Such good news, you have to feel a weight has been lifted!

OP
OP
Bumper

Bumper

Country
@ForumUser, unlike your thoughtful wife, my sister would not be offering constructive criticism, it would just be passive aggressive criticism. I have learned over many years to just mainly tune that out.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
@ForumUser, unlike your thoughtful wife, my sister would not be offering constructive criticism, it would just be passive aggressive criticism. I have learned over many years to just mainly tune that out.
Best way, unlikely to change now.

One of my sweetest elderly volunteers cracked me up when I was speaking of my own family drama.
She said "Honey, you can pick your friends...you can pick your nose...but you can't pick your family!"
:rotfl: Crude, but hilarious out of an otherwise genteel lady.

Top Bottom