THR Feeling better

Bumper

Country
United States United States
Hi! Just found this wonderful site a few days ago. Had a posterior right THR Oct 2 2019 so I am 4 1/2 weeks post op. I have learned so much since reading so many posts!

Welcome @Bumper ! Glad you are finding good information on Bonesmart. How are You doing with your recovery?

Welcome to BoneSmart! You are in the right place for support through this recovery. Sounds like you doing very well!

I'll leave you our reading list in case you need a reminder. I look forward to following your journey!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:wave:@Bumper
:welome: to the forum.
Bonesmart certainly was a useful resource for me as I recovered from my hip replacements.
Lots of support and advice...and great information that I'm sure saved my OS a few phone calls. :) :-) (:
Hope your Sunday is sweet!

Thanks for your warm welcome notes! Went to see orthopedic surgeon about 2 months ago for increased hip pain and limping. Was told I had severe OA and needed a hip replacement. Not what I wanted to hear! Worked as an operating room nurse for 25 years so I knew exactly what the surgery was going to be like. What I didn’t know was the recovery part and learned about that 4 weeks post op when I found this site.

What I didn’t know was the recovery part
And now you know exactly why BoneSmart was created. Unfortunately many surgeons aren't very good at setting reasonable expectations. We wave goodbye to the hospital staff and then feel very alone.

Glad you are finding the site helpful. Please keep us updated on your recovery.

Had my surgery with a 2 day hospital stay that turned into 4 day stay because a PE was discovered post op. Was so depressed because I was thinking hip pain was better than a life threatening blood clot. The first 2 weeks at home was truly awful and could not see how it would ever get better. Used a walker for 2 weeks then a cane for about 5 days. Struggled thru 2 weeks of home PT then off to outpatient PT. Been doing that for 2 weeks then discovered BS. What an eye opener!! Cancelled my next PT appt but have decided to finish up the last 2 weeks with gate training, no exercises like bridges, leg lifts, marching, balancing on 1 leg.

Sorry your first week was so harrowing.
Glad you've decided to quit making that hip perform before it can get well.
I like your plan.
It worked for me.:egypdance:

no exercises like bridges, leg lifts, marching, balancing on 1 leg.
Oh my goodness! New hips do not like any of these exercises. I am so sorry you were subjected to this! Well done for cancelling PT! Gait training is an excellent idea.

Last edited:
4 weeks ago I could not imagine how I would ever feel better. I was depressed, sleep deprived, and angry that I had even had the surgery. Never needed prescription pain medicine after leaving the hospital, but I just felt so helpless. At my 4 week post op appt, the x rays looked good and was told I could now drive again. I still have fears of falling and hurting my new hip, but so far I am doing well. The best thing I learned at PT was the golfers reach! Didn’t know how I was going to cope with no bending over for 3 months because I have 2 puppies and a cat. I live with my elderly dad so I do feel guilt that I am not able to help as much as I want.

I live with my elderly dad so I do feel guilt that I am not able to help as much as I want.
All temporary my friend. Your strength will increase and you will gain confidence in your mobility. Just give it time and patience.

Golfers reach is great. But do be sure there is something for you to hold on to when you do this - especially if you are still worried about falling.

Sorry you had such a scary beginning, but you sound okay now.
I think your dad may understand, and want you to take care. The old ones have weathered many storms in their lives, I find, and understand. You are accustomed to being the caregiver, not receiving care.
If you read some threads on Bonesmart, you will find some discussions about being afraid to fall. One person brought up staying away from wet leaves for example.

Hi Bumper :wave:
Welcome and thanks for joining us!
It's amazing how different you can feel in a months time during recovery.
I'm assuming the anger, depression and sleep deprivation are a thing of the past. Missed your special day....Happy One Month Anniversary!
All the best, may it only get better!
@Bumper

Much thanks to everyone’s kind words! Will be 5 weeks tomorrow and I’m doing well. Had an ultrasound today on my legs to see if there are anymore blood clots hiding. Hope to get the results soon. I’m finally back to driving and doing lite work around the house. Going back to PT tomorrow after 5 days off and will be working on gait training only.

:fingersx: for good results on your ultrasound.
Glad you are starting to feel better...
Continued best wishes for recovery.

Good to hear you're back to driving, doing lite work at home and heading back to PT for gait training. I hope it helps. Hoping you good news back from the ultrasound. :praying:

Last edited:
Hi @Bumper Wow, you have been through a lot with your recovery, I'm so happy that finding this Forum helped you.. I remember how I felt when I found it over 4 years ago. :loveshwr:
Wishing the best of reports on your ultrasound and am extremely happy that you've backed off on the aggressive PT.. There's plenty of time for that later on. Gait training is the best and of course just walking.. Some members have switched to a different PT facility and have had a much better experience, so maybe that could be something to think about too,, later on.

Thanks @CricketHip for your encouraging words. I went back to PT today and told them I wanted to work on gait training. I was told that I needed to strengthen that hip muscle in order to walk normally. So spent about 12 minutes on walking and 35 minutes on all of those other exercises. I couldn’t balance on either leg for 30 seconds pre-op, so why would I want to do this post-op? And I certainly don’t march when I need to go somewhere. Not once did I hear the phrase heel/toe walking.

Last edited:
Hello @Bumper
Practice heel-toe on your own then. I found it took a concentrated effort and I STILL can fall back into sloppy patterns if I'm tired...or just because. :shrug:
Old habits die hard I guess.

I know some of those rote exercises they have you do are unnecessary and I recall the forum Nurse mentioning that in regard to a lot of those exercises prescribed early on - once you can do them...it's enough.
Marching is for the military, not us regular ol folk :wink:

Have a great Thursday and weekend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back