TKR Knee Number 2!

Penelope Anne

Country
Ireland Ireland
I’m day 20 post tkr. I was doing fairly well and have good ROM but feel walking has become more painful in the last couple of days. I was doing about 1500 steps a day as well as the stretching exercises I was given by the physio. The last two days I’ve added 5 minutes a day on the stationary bike. Am I trying to do too much too soon?

@Penelope Anne
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!!
Am I trying to do too much too soon?
Yes, and your knee is letting you know with increased pain.

You are still in the very early, very angry knee phase of recovery, your knee is in charge.
Recommend you take a step back and rest, ice, elevate, and medicate on schedule as prescribed to give your knee a chance to heal.

This is a year long+ recovery, with most feeling much better around 3-4 months. It is important to let your knee heal, doing too much too soon can set back your recovery.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

OneStep information

Please let us know your surgery date and which knee, a moderator will add it to your signature. Having the exact date will help us properly answer any questions or concerns you may have.
Thanks,
Chris

Reactions: shr
Hi, thank you for replying so quickly. I had a tkr of the right knee on November 1st.

Reactions: shr
@Penelope Anne
Agree that you're doing too much. I was just like that with my first TKR. I expected too much too soon. Your knee will always let you know if its being overworked. You have a lot more healing ahead of you so listen to your knee. You'll be glad you did.

:hi:Hi Penelope Anne,
Stopping by to see how you're progressing and to wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope the pain you mentioned last time you posted has eased and you've established a comfortable routine.
We will look forward to your next update. Happy healing!
@Penelope Anne

Hi Layla,
It’s slow (but everyone says the same) but everything is definitely improving. After the advice here I pulled back on the exercises and haven’t been near the exercise bike! Saw the physio yesterday who is very happy with my progress - good bend and straighten. She is now suggesting gradually weaning off using two sticks. She also had me cautiously stepping up on a low step on the operated knee. There is hope!
This website and forum is invaluable - so much good advice and encouragement. Thank you.

I’m now nearly 8 weeks post op and probably being impatient again but walking without painkillers is still quite painful. I have good movement and my surgeon says he’s very happy but pain levels mean I’m struggling to walk more than a few hundred yards. Is this normal for 8 weeks in?

I'm a MACI patient but I can't even imagine walking as much as you are walking in such a short time. I will never understand why so many physical therapists seem to think hyper aggressive therapy is the proper course of treatment

Is this normal for 8 weeks in?
Totally normal. Your physio sounds like she is trying to fit you into a "one size fits all" program. There is no time frame for weaning off any walking aid. And there is no pressure to increase your walking distance so early out. Listen to that knee - not your aggressive PT.

Sometimes the PTs are helpful in helping your build your confidence with the new knee--such as gradually weaning off the sticks. But while it's ok to give it a try little by little, don't feel pressured to meet an arbitrary target time.

Many of us, even when we graduated to not using a cane for short distances around the house still used one outside of the house for more weeks.

I can’t seem to find how to post on my own thread so am starting a new one.
I’m now 3 months post tkr and not quite back to normal but getting there. I’m able to do a daily step count of 6000 steps a day albeit with 400 mg of Ibuprofen. I have gone back to work (I’m a tv drama director) and just done my first full week of filming. I’m wrecked!!! Wrecked but very proud of myself for doing it.
I am however having a lot of problems with my neck which is giving me thundering headaches behind my eye when I’m in certain positions. Could my new knee and the change of gait be doing this? My operated knee is now maybe 2 mm longer than it was pre op because the joint had collapsed a bit.

Hi Penelope Anne, I had horrible neck pain after my first hip surgery. Your body is likely moving differently in every way after your TKR, and everything is being forced to adjust. It should resolve as you get used to the new way of moving. What helped mine most were hot compresses. Good luck in your healing. And what a cool job!

For your neck you could try some massage or tens machine and see if it helps.

Hello @Penelope Anne,
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions for finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Hello Penelope Ann,
Good to hear you're back to work, but it sounds like you're exhausted. I hope you have a peaceful relaxing weekend to recharge. I don't know that your headaches are connected to gait. It may be something to discuss with your PCP if it doesn't resolve soon. Hopefully OTC meds as needed, gentle massage and rest all help.
Stay in touch. :wave:
@Penelope Anne

Hi Penelope Anne, I had horrible neck pain after my first hip surgery. Your body is likely moving differently in every way after your TKR, and everything is being forced to adjust. It should resolve as you get used to the new way of moving. What helped mine most were hot compresses. Good luck in your healing. And what a cool job!
Thank you - I find it a bit reassuring that someone else is going through the same thing. The change of gait makes sense as this has only started happening since I’ve been walking a lot…. How long did you take to lose the neck pain?

Hi Penelope, if I remember right, it was a bit less than a week. The hot compresses made it much better but it took a few days to totally resolve. Another thing that seemed to help was concentrating on engaging my core when walking, staying upright, and being sure to keep my chin back. I realized I had a tendency at the beginning to curl forward a bit, I think subconsciously trying to protect myself after surgery.

:hi:Happy Four Month Anniversary, Penelope!
How are you doing? Hopefully your neck pain is easing and you've adjusted to your return to work.
Wishing you a great week and hope to hear you're doing well.
@Penelope Anne

I’m 7 months post TRKR and am doing ok - good bend and straighten but there is still pain behind my knee on the right hand side when I bend or straighten. Is this normal?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts