TKR Long Recovery

if you don’t do exactly what they say, they DONT like it.

You had this surgery for YOU -- not for them.
This is YOUR recovery -- no theirs.
You do not need to please them. In fact, you do not need to please anyone but YOU!

If these PTs don't get it, fire them and find a different PT. Or recover on your own -- quite a few of our members have done that with great success.

You want to be “nice” to them but if you don’t do exactly what they say, they DONT like it.
They work for you, you don't work for them. That makes you the boss so what you say goes! If they don't like it, fire them and find a PT that does it the Bonesmart way. Just keep in mind that they also have to do what you say. If they don't, you can accuse them of assault. No means no!

Thank you benne68, I called today and changed my PT appts from 3xa week to 2x. I will also talk to the PT next time because it doesn’t seem right to spend an hour in PT and then be more sore and spent for the rest of the day does it??

I will also talk to the PT next time because it doesn’t seem right to spend an hour in PT and then be more sore and spent for the rest of the day does it??
This means you are getting inappropriate PT, especially only about 5 weeks out of surgery. Your knee needs to be treated gently so it can heal.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises.
Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

So todayI went to my park district health club and SLOWLY made it once around the indoor track. It wasn’t easy. The thing is I did this last week too and didn’t feel any stronger today. Is that just the snails pace of this recovery or maybe I should be trying to walk there more often. I also SLOWLY rode an exercise bike for about 10 minutes. I was in bad shape before surgery but I am slower and have much more pain now. Hoping this will improve with time. Keep wondering if I did the right thing??!?! 5 weeks out today. Thanks for this site, it is very helpful.

Hi LeftKnee,
Are you icing and elevating? If not, consider getting back to that. It may help with the pain, especially after exercise. Possibly going to the track more often than once a week and trying to walk just a bit further each day will make you feel as though you're making progress. You could try that and stay off the bike for awhile and see if you notice a difference. It may take you longer to feel you're progressing if you were in really bad shape pre-op. You are only a little over a month post op. I'm sure you did the right think in choosing joint replacement, it's still very early days in the entire scheme of things, so hang in there, you'll get there!
@LeftKnee123

This thread has been so helpful. It is so good to know you are not alone in what you are experiencing! I am about 5 1/2 weeks out from TKR. I cut my PT down from 3x to 2x a week and got my PTs attention (plus my own reading these posts!) Had a good talk with her and she gets that we have been trying too hard. My last session was much better. I made sure to listen to myself more than her. Oh boy, hope I posted this in the right place!?

Hopefully I figured out how to post in my own thread LOL. I SO appreciate all the comments and communication. Really glad I found this site. I ordered the elevation pillow that is recommended by BoneSmart so that’s my very early Christmas present to myself. Hey, we deserve all the comforts we can get right now right?!? I also just picked up some Vitamin E cream that was recommended by my surgeon to supposedly help with improving the skin and looks in the area of the incision. Splurge! Splurge! I have not shaved my legs in AGES. I feel like a natural woman!

I also just picked up some Vitamin E cream that was recommended by my surgeon to supposedly help with improving the skin and looks in the area of the incision. Splurge! Splurge! I have not shaved my legs in AGES. I feel like a natural woman!
Yes, YES. I only need is a nudge to justify the purchase of a few beauty products and treatments. I just tried out a darker colored foundation I use on my face upon my knee incision - for this summer.

Vain I know but just looking at my options...:hugzz: This led to some facial moisturizers I was running low on and some eye shadow, mascara not needed.

I guess I'll shave my legs too soon. I'm enjoying adding a bit of glamour to my 'natural woman' state. LOL!

Last edited:
I ordered and just received a Lounge Doctor pillow to elevate the leg. It came quickly and is very comfortable. Wish I had it from the beginning but hope it will be a big help in getting down swelling. The pillow was recommended by BoneSmart and I would say I agree!

Most members who have these pillows swear by them. I sure did. My neighbor, who just went through a TKR revision is using it right now! It's amazing how much they help relieve the swelling, helping to relieve the pain!

also just picked up some Vitamin E cream that was recommended by my surgeon to supposedly help with improving the skin and looks in the area of the incision. Splurge! Splurge! I
I know! I am also a sucker for creams.
Just bought some La Roche Posay cicaplast B5 cream that is supposed to help scars/ healing. It was only £15 though. Reckon the French are pretty good on dermatology...
My scar is nice and neat and flat but my circulation is not great in my legs and even tiny insect bites tend to stay rather purplish forever. So willing to try anything to see if it makes it fade more. Interested to see if anyone else has found anything that works.

@LeftKnee123
Here's the info you requested on Jammy's thread about cannabis gummies. I took gummies. You can start with half. And it can take an hour to kick in. I no longer take them. Haven't in about 1 year.

I was having a lot of swelling and pain at 6 1/2 weeks, too. Just resting, icing and elevating soon helped and I saw improvement happening into the 7th week. Its getting better all the time. I'm 11 1/2 weeks now and feeling good.
Hang in there!

Hello BoneSmart friends! I am feeling happy today as I just broke up with my PT after 8 torturous visits.. I have a new plan to do water therapy in a warm pool. Anyone have any thoughts/ experience with this? Also known as hydro therapy or aqua therapy etc. I am a little over 7 weeks now and while I felt terrible as usual after my last PT yesterday, today I noticed I can walk up the stairs in my house a little easier!?! I hope it’s just not in my Tylenol fueled mind/sleeping pill mind. Also, saw my surgeon two days ago and asked him his opinion on Cannabis for pain. He had a positive reaction although he prefaced that with telling me he has personally never tried it. Still that stigma out there. You can down the opioids like crazy but a cannabis cbd. OMG. Anyway ,I am in Illinois where this has been legal for sometime and I got some gummies that take the edge off. No high just some relief. Maybe give my liver a break from the Tylenol. Finally, after months I started hacking through the forest on my legs with a razor. I don’t think I will be donning shorts ANYTIME soon but I probably took off half a pound. Happy Easter

I have a new plan to do water therapy in a warm pool. Anyone have any thoughts/ experience with this?
Start this very slowly and gradually build up your workout. It is very easy to over do in the water. You are weightless and can get carried away in the early days. Many of our members really enjoy hydrotherapy.

What is hydrotherapy? Sounds lovely. I'm terrified of our indoor pool classes. Pushing off the bottom of the pool using my 12 week old baby knee is keeping me out of the pool and I'm part mermaid LOL.
Love your leg shaving description. I called mine the deforestation.

Hydrotherapy is PT in water, haven’t actually started just yet. I will let you know how it goes. My surgeon suggested it. Hoping it is not a torture like my previous PT. I have been warned to take it easy at first in water. I love to swim too. Hoping I can some day do frog kicks again. I am 7 1/2 weeks out and still struggling but seeing small improvements

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom